Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Instead (or in advance) of an annual renewal, Ambassador members who meet the criteria can ask for a one time extension (avail once per life of the member)
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions
  1. An InterContinental Ambassador Membership Extension may be awarded to select Ambassadors who meet the criteria below.
    1. To be eligible for a two (2) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership and must not have redeemed a two-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional two months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.
    2. To be eligible for a six (6) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership that is in its second or greater consecutive membership year, and must not have redeemed a six-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional six months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.
    3. Membership Extensions are granted at the discretion of IHG and may be denied, ended, or amended with or without notice or compensation, at IHGs sole discretion. Any extension granted excludes the extension or issuance of any Complimentary Weekend Night certificates.
    4. Extensions for Royal Ambassadors are not available.
    5. The two (2) and six (6) month membership extensions cannot be combined into a combined eight (8) month extension. The two different extension periods must be applied in two (2) separate membership years.
Print Wikipost

Renew IHG Ambassador

Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:51 pm

Update: even if a reward night is considered a qualifying rate, I think it's the points + $30 cash that won't work. It seems when booking points + cash, they actually just convert the $30 into buying points at 6 cents each, making it a points booking only. At least that is my thought.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are qualifying rates that count towards status and rewards and qualifying rates that count for offers.

Points plus cash bookings count for the former but not the latter.

When using a points plus cash rate you are actually buying points - its not part of the room rate like a pure cash booking would be, if you cancel you dont get the cash back but you do get the points you bought.
Six Travelers likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:19 pm

Free weekend night

Sorry if this is slightly off topic. Does anyone know if an IHG reservation on the ambassador free weekend nights works with an additional guest checking in? Or do they need the IHG account holder to be present as well? I've had no issues booking for family with regular IHG stays by adding the addition guest but the checkout language for the Ambassador free weekend seems a bit different. Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:18 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
can someone in nutshell explain what are the prime benefits of being an Ambassador. I've read some of the stuff on the website re late check-out, guaranteed room upgrade etc etc but is there anything else?

Another question is related to my Spire (Diamond) status and Ambassador. I need 15 more nights by December 31st to re qualify for Diamond for 2023 which is going to be challenging. But I have just been offered the 40k points swap to get Ambassador - so my key question is whether Ambassador is effectively a "higher" tier level than Diamond? In other words, if I do the 40k points swap am I effectively renewing my Diamond status too and I retain all those benefits + more with Ambassador?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:41 pm

What it if I stay on points or points+cash and spend more $30 or more in food and beverage ? Does that count as a qualifying stay for the Ambassador promo ?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:30 pm

As noted above, points + cash bookings do not work for a promotional offer.

Neither will a rewards redemption offer of whatever type and eligible spend over $30 at the hotel that makes its way onto your folio.

What you must book is a qualifying stay with a room rate of at least $30.00.

The above was detailed to me by the IHG Ambassador line just yesterday after quite some time researching the issue.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 9:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Lost track of all the various promos. For the Ambassador "stay 2 nights at an IC, Kimpton, or Regent by Jan. 31, get 20,000 points" deal, was that only for renewals or also for first-time sign-ups? I thought it was for both, but reports from a quick search are conflicting. Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by js1993
Lost track of all the various promos. For the Ambassador "stay 2 nights at an IC, Kimpton, or Regent by Jan. 31, get 20,000 points" deal, was that only for renewals or also for first-time sign-ups? I thought it was for both, but reports from a quick search are conflicting. Thanks.
I am quite sure it was for both.
js1993 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:21 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA
Originally Posted by js1993
stay 2N get 20k is for both renewal and new sign up

there was another 15k only for cash renewal. (not for new sign up, not point renewal)
js1993 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:52 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by jiunsoh
stay 2N get 20k is for both renewal and new sign up

there was another 15k only for cash renewal. (not for new sign up, not point renewal)
The 15 K was in addition to the 15k that comes with the AMB kit for paid renewals?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The 15 K was in addition to the 15k that comes with the AMB kit for paid renewals?
No.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
My Ambassador membership needs to be renewed by the 1st Feb.
Does it make any difference if I were to do it on say the 31st Jan, or just let it expire (no stays planned at this present time) and sign up again say a month later before I book something?

There's 15k points if I renew, but not sure if there's better for not renewing straightaway i.e 20k points if I stay 2 nights.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA
Originally Posted by xenole
My Ambassador membership needs to be renewed by the 1st Feb.
Does it make any difference if I were to do it on say the 31st Jan, or just let it expire (no stays planned at this present time) and sign up again say a month later before I book something?

There's 15k points if I renew, but not sure if there's better for not renewing straightaway i.e 20k points if I stay 2 nights.
15k renewal bonus promo ended last year.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Still showing on my renewal page.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: NZ
I believe it is the 20K bonus for staying 2 nights promo that has ended, not the 15K renewal promo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.