Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Instead (or in advance) of an annual renewal, Ambassador members who meet the criteria can ask for a one time extension (avail once per life of the member)
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions
  1. An InterContinental Ambassador Membership Extension may be awarded to select Ambassadors who meet the criteria below.
    1. To be eligible for a two (2) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership and must not have redeemed a two-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional two months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.
    2. To be eligible for a six (6) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership that is in its second or greater consecutive membership year, and must not have redeemed a six-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional six months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.
    3. Membership Extensions are granted at the discretion of IHG and may be denied, ended, or amended with or without notice or compensation, at IHGs sole discretion. Any extension granted excludes the extension or issuance of any Complimentary Weekend Night certificates.
    4. Extensions for Royal Ambassadors are not available.
    5. The two (2) and six (6) month membership extensions cannot be combined into a combined eight (8) month extension. The two different extension periods must be applied in two (2) separate membership years.
Print Wikipost

Renew IHG Ambassador

Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I am trying to renew by either a) clicking on the link from the renewal email offer I got or b) clicking the renew link on my account page on IHG.com and both send me on this infinite loop where the website just goes on loading screens forever. Cleared cookies, not going to install another browser (I use Firefox which works on all other websites properly) just to renew Ambassador.

Anyone else have this issue?
I just used the link from my account page (AMB expiring 30 Nov) yesterday on Chrome / Edge and had no issue renewing. I'd give another browser a try, maybe try from your mobile phone or so as well?

minz56 I thought the ability to renew started two months prior to expiry of AMB vs. three months mentioned, but I wouldn't swear on it.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
What is the offer for renewal? I'm not showing anything apart from the 2 options for payment, $200 or 40k points?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:22 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by demue
minz56 I thought the ability to renew started two months prior to expiry of AMB vs. three months mentioned, but I wouldn't swear on it.
I renewed mine on 13 September with a 30 November expiry, so it's more than two months. I am sure I have read previously that it is three months.... I renewed early so that I could get the 20K bonus from an IC KUL stay at the end of September.
demue and gadberry like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by strickers
What is the offer for renewal? I'm not showing anything apart from the 2 options for payment, $200 or 40k points?
post 86 will point you in the right direction
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
post 86 will point you in the right direction
Much obliged, renewal available now and have a weekend booked in Madrid next month.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:23 am

Deleted - redundant with previous posts I overlooked

Last edited by schlegfr; Oct 8, 2022 at 8:38 am
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:06 am

Called AMB services today, with the request to renew my membership.

Was told that it is not possible to renew if expiry date is more than 60 days out.

Is this the general policy? Or did anyone have other (recent) experiences?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by minz56
I renewed mine on 13 September with a 30 November expiry, so it's more than two months. I am sure I have read previously that it is three months.... I renewed early so that I could get the 20K bonus from an IC KUL stay at the end of September.
How did you renew? Online? Call center?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Why are you calling when you can do it on line?

T&Cs state can renew upto 92 days early as per para 5 of the AMB T&Cs. Agent likely getting confused with something else
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:26 am

Thank you for your message.

I can't renew online. Webpage keeps loading, and just shows my personal details in the end. Tried Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge.

I'm also out of the 92 day window.
​​​​​​Still would like to renew now, before a stay.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by 336
Thank you for your message.

I can't renew online. Webpage keeps loading, and just shows my personal details in the end. Tried Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge.

I'm also out of the 92 day window.
​​​​​​Still would like to renew now, before a stay.
I renewed online. I was within the 92 day window so I had a link on the website. If you are outside the 92 day window you won't be able to renew online. You can try calling in to renew, but you may just be told that you have to wait till 92 days prior to your expiry date. But worth a try.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

T&Cs state can renew upto 92 days early as per para 5 of the AMB T&Cs. Agent likely getting confused with something else
Enrolled in the Ambassador Programme in February 2022 and IHG CC say that this is valid until mid April 2023 which I know is incorrect as my account shows expiry on 1st April 2023.

Does the link on the Ambassador page become active exactly 92 days before renewal which in my case would be 30th December for renewal? I'd rather not phone the call centre to renew as they seem to be blissfully unaware of the 92 day rule.

Really could be doing with catching the current Ambassador renewal offer.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:44 pm

Question regarding Qualifying Rate for 20k bonus points for AMB sign up. Would a points plus + $30 cash booking trigger the qualifying rate? The points rate is the best way to go for the Kimpton I am looking at, but would like to trigger this 20k bonus points as well.

To qualify for the 20,000 bonus points, each of the two nights must be part of one or more Qualifying Stays. A Qualifying Stay is defined as a minimum 1-night stay booked under a Qualifying Rate, with total spend exceeding $30 USD (or local equivalent) per night. Only one room per member per Qualifying Stay will be eligible. If more than one member checks into the same room, only one member is eligible to claim the night for purposes of the Offer. No retroactive credit will be awarded for stays prior to this Offer or prior to enrolment into the InterContinental Ambassador programme. The “Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night” rate is a Qualifying Rate, and the complimentary night may be counted towards the two nights needed to qualify for the additional 20,000 bonus points.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Six Travelers
Would a points plus + $30 cash booking trigger the qualifying rate?
In my view, that would be negative. See IHG One Rewards Membership Terms and Conditions, Article 52 (in particular the last sentence):

52. Reward Nights are Non-Qualifying Rates: Members may not earn Points or partner miles/credits on the room rate equivalent of Rewards Nights; however, Points are awarded for all other eligible charges. A Reward Night is defined as a stay that a Member redeemed Points for, and includes Reward Nights booked via Points & Cash.
Six Travelers likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelA380
In my view, that would be negative. See IHG One Rewards Membership Terms and Conditions, Article 52 (in particular the last sentence):
Thanks for digging that out for me. I appreciate the research. Is it odd that Article 31 specifically defines a reward night as a qualifying rate?

31. Qualifying Rates: Qualifying Rates include Reward Night/Free Night* and most business and leisure rates, such as Advance Saver rates, Best Flexible rates, Global sales negotiated rates (including but not limited to Corporate Gold rates), national/regional/local government rates, and specified leisure rates as confirmed by IHGs reservation systems. In Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and Greater China (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan), Qualifying Rates include all locally negotiated rates. Note: In Greater China, Qualifying Rates also include all corporate negotiated rates settled with hotels via regular payment. In all other parts of the world, locally negotiated rates are classed as Qualifying Rates if the rate is discounted less than 30%.

*When staying on a Reward Night/Free Night, Members will not earn Points or partner miles/credits on the room rate or room rate equivalent; however, Points are awarded for all other eligible charges.
32. Non-Qualifying Rates: Members will not earn Points and/or enjoy Member benefits during a Stay on most Non-Qualifying Rates. This restriction includes but is not limited to: earning Points on food and beverage purchases, parking, in room dining, movies, and any other incidental charges incurred during the Members Stay on a Non-Qualifying Rate. Non-Qualifying Rates include:
    • Hotel provided complimentary rooms
    • Employee Discount Rate*
    • Airline or travel partner passenger rate due to travel delays
    • Online Travel Agency or Third-Party Channel bookings (e.g., Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, etc.)
    • Rates provided by tour operator/wholesaler
    • Seasonal Worker/Crew Rate
    • 50% Travel Club Discount Rate: includes entertainment discount booklet rates (e.g., Encore)
*When staying on an Employee Discount Rate, Members will not earn Points or partner miles/credits on the room rate or room rate equivalent; however, Points are awarded for all other eligible charges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.