Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Instead (or in advance) of an annual renewal, Ambassador members who meet the criteria can ask for a one time extension (avail once per life of the member)
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions
  1. An InterContinental Ambassador Membership Extension may be awarded to select Ambassadors who meet the criteria below.
    1. To be eligible for a two (2) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership and must not have redeemed a two-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional two months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.
    2. To be eligible for a six (6) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership that is in its second or greater consecutive membership year, and must not have redeemed a six-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional six months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.
    3. Membership Extensions are granted at the discretion of IHG and may be denied, ended, or amended with or without notice or compensation, at IHGs sole discretion. Any extension granted excludes the extension or issuance of any Complimentary Weekend Night certificates.
    4. Extensions for Royal Ambassadors are not available.
    5. The two (2) and six (6) month membership extensions cannot be combined into a combined eight (8) month extension. The two different extension periods must be applied in two (2) separate membership years.
Print Wikipost

Renew IHG Ambassador

Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
First-timers or renewals?

Maybe the 15,000 gets triggered via online sign-up?
Renewal. I'm gonna call to get this credited. Nowhere does it say it has to be online for the 15,000 points to credit
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I'd like to renew but I am not able to use the coupon Apr 7-10 in Singapore at the IC's. That sucks
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Jetrigger
Renewal. I'm gonna call to get this credited. Nowhere does it say it has to be online for the 15,000 points to credit
Thanks. It seems like a few first-timers said they received the 15,000. Curious if they signed up online or by phone. Must be some reason it posted for some people but not all.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Called in today to request an extension on my Ambassador weekend cert (expiring Feb 1st, along with my Ambassador membership). Was told they couldn't extend the cert itself, but they provided a 6 month extension to my Ambassador membership which resulted in issuing a new Ambassador weekend cert good for 6 months. Quite pleased with the resolution; might be worth a call if you've got a cert/membership expiring soon.

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hello all - considering joining Ambassador. I have a 3 night IC stay upcoming and recalled an email offer I received to join for $200 and get 20,000 bonus points after a 2 night stay. I value IHG points at .75 cents per meaning the 20k is worth $150 to me. That means I'd pay $50 for AMB. I am already Spire Elite. $50 seems like a no brainer - but am I missing something. Somewhere in this thread it talks about Spire and/or AMB extension and it got me confused.

Is 20k bonus points for a new AMB the best current offer?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Hello all - considering joining Ambassador. I have a 3 night IC stay upcoming and recalled an email offer I received to join for $200 and get 20,000 bonus points after a 2 night stay. I value IHG points at .75 cents per meaning the 20k is worth $150 to me. That means I'd pay $50 for AMB. I am already Spire Elite. $50 seems like a no brainer - but am I missing something. Somewhere in this thread it talks about Spire and/or AMB extension and it got me confused.

Is 20k bonus points for a new AMB the best current offer?
The current offer is 20,000 points after joining Ambassador and making at least a two-night stay, as you mentioned.

The Spire extension should be moot right now, since IHG extended everyone's until March 2023.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
The current offer is 20,000 points after joining Ambassador and making at least a two-night stay, as you mentioned.

The Spire extension should be moot right now, since IHG extended everyone's until March 2023.
​​​​​​
Is this a good offer or just average? Do they offer more sometimes (i.e., is it worth waiting)?

What is the spire extension in years where they don't extend? I won't hit Spire this year (for 2023). Will joining AMB get me some sort of extension oppty?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I just renewed Amb, using the 200USD option, and immediately after my phone app says my spire lite membership is good till 31DEC2023. I have not had any stays this year nor do I have any nights carried over from 2021. Hope it means I will have diamond for the entire year of 2023.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:49 pm

​​​​​​
Is this a good offer or just average? Do they offer more sometimes (i.e., is it worth waiting)?

What is the spire extension in years where they don't extend? I won't hit Spire this year (for 2023). Will joining AMB get me some sort of extension oppty?
There's no point in waiting. The current offer expires in March, so if you have a three-night IC stay coming up, you'll get the 20,000 points.

The Spire extension reportedly only works for Ambassador renewals, so joining now would allow you to try for the Spire extension a year from now.

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I just renewed Amb, using the 200USD option, and immediately after my phone app says my spire lite membership is good till 31DEC2023. I have not had any stays this year nor do I have any nights carried over from 2021. Hope it means I will have diamond for the entire year of 2023.
Your Spire should already have been through March 2023 via IHG's courtesy Covid extension. (EDIT: Actually, looks like status is showing through 12/31/22, although I believe IHG has said the program year will be changing to March.)

Nobody knows if the Spire extension via AMB renewal will keep working when the new program kicks in, but looks like you're good for the rest of 2023.
kevino and ernestnywang like this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:44 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
​​​​​​

This is slightly better than anything they've had in some time. The only thing possibly better was the new signup promo with a stay at IC to receive a free night cert worth 40k. However, the FNC expired in November so a little too soon for many compared to the 20k points current promo that don't expire (normally) and that other offer hasn't been repeated, so this is the best offer out there. If you have a stay at IC coming up, don't forget about the $20 F&B benefit also, so while I don't value IHG points at anything more than .55 cents versus your .75 cents, it's still a moneymaker with the BOGO. I usually use mine at the IC SF so get about $250+ in value, factoring in the higher rate required to use the BOGO i.e. in April I'm using mine and the "free" night is $259+tax so about $290, and the paid night I'm paying $219+tax while the lowest non-BOGO rate is $199+ tax, so add in the difference when evaluating your actual savings.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:47 am

Your Spire should already have been through March 2023 via IHG's courtesy Covid extension. (EDIT: Actually, looks like status is showing through 12/31/22, although I believe IHG has said the program year will be changing to March.)

Nobody knows if the Spire extension via AMB renewal will keep working when the new program kicks in, but looks like you're good for the rest of 2023.
Yes, to clarify, the app shows 31DEC2022 right before my Amb renewal, and 31DEC2023 right after. Hope IHG will honour it. My Amb expires in Feb., so it's good to know I can see if the trick still works in early 2023. If yes, great. If not, I still have a full year and can decide whether it's worth keeping it based on my travel pattern then (getting back to my life pre-COVID, I really hope) and the diamond benefits then.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:09 pm

As of now, how far in advance does IHG allow people to renew Ambassador? Trying to confirm the timing issues that might come into play. Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:46 pm

As of now, how far in advance does IHG allow people to renew Ambassador? Trying to confirm the timing issues that might come into play. Thanks.
92 days per https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions
5. IHG Rewards members with InterContinental Ambassador membership will be able to renew 92 days prior to the expiration of their current and valid InterContinental Ambassador membership.
js1993 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Excellent. Thanks very much.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire
Does anyone have any DPs if using the Ambassador BOGO certificate will trigger the 20,000 bonus points offer for staying 2 nights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.