Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Instead (or in advance) of an annual renewal, Ambassador members who meet the criteria can ask for a one time extension (avail once per life of the member)
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions
  1. An InterContinental Ambassador Membership Extension may be awarded to select Ambassadors who meet the criteria below.
    1. To be eligible for a two (2) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership and must not have redeemed a two-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional two months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.
    2. To be eligible for a six (6) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership that is in its second or greater consecutive membership year, and must not have redeemed a six-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional six months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.
    3. Membership Extensions are granted at the discretion of IHG and may be denied, ended, or amended with or without notice or compensation, at IHGs sole discretion. Any extension granted excludes the extension or issuance of any Complimentary Weekend Night certificates.
    4. Extensions for Royal Ambassadors are not available.
    5. The two (2) and six (6) month membership extensions cannot be combined into a combined eight (8) month extension. The two different extension periods must be applied in two (2) separate membership years.
Print Wikipost

Renew IHG Ambassador

Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
I didn't renew mine as there is currently no point at all. Also there is current plans in staying at a hotel esp InterContinental. I figure if I see a plan then I will renew it but for now, no plans. I have been an Ambassador for almost 15yrs last year was the first time I didn't renew. My renewal as only $150, but even then when there is zero IC hotel stays since 2020, wasn't worth it anymore.
I wish I had passed and plan to next year especially with 90k award redemptions for an iC hotel in some cities
The program has become the bottom in the industry for so many reasons and lack of meaningful benefits
Prefer Hyatt Hilton & Marriott by far
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by 336
After renewing for 200 USD, when do the standard 15 000 points appear in your account?
I did mine by phone and they posted immediately
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:48 pm

Thanks for the data point.

I also did mine by phone.

Did you do that recently?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by 336
Thanks for the data point.

I also did mine by phone.

Did you do that recently?
Late Dec
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
There's probably a thread for this, but is the current "join Ambassador, stay two nights, and get 20,000 points" a better or worse deal than usual for first-time enrollments?

For first-time enrollments, is it recommended to pay the $200 or use 40,000 points? I vaguely recall there's a reason to pay cash for renewals, but not sure about first-time enrollments. Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:56 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
It could go either way. Ive had bogos post both one night or two over the years after posting
And if you can depend on one thing its that IHG customer service will suck
each and every time with clueless robots that answer the phone
So risky IMO if you dont have a plan B
Even with 2 qualifying nights I had to argue with the idiots as they told me 300 dollars for 2 Nights
was a non qualifying rate
Yet I had confirmed that it was qualifying prior to staying
After hours on the phone and escalating the issue they said it was their mistake and they would post it manually
You get what you pay for and IHg pays the price with much of my lost business with their pretty much horrendous customer service
Actually, I've found that the AMB service phone line has been improving, though I'm not sure it's different staff than the IHG CS phone line. But, they've been better than in the past, though I seldom have problems that need resolving with IHG/IC, since I've been doing more award nights, plus fewer overall due to COVID. Often, the cost difference with IHG properties more than makes up for the lack of program benefits/amenities, though again, fewer data points, but I do use the $20 F&B credit at IC's as often as possible (upcoming IC Pattaya stay for CNY and I "prepaid" for breakfast at a decent rate-THB291 for 2 people per day-sot eh F&B credit should cover most of the other charges since we'll have a car and run out for a fish lunch on the beach.)

2020/2021 were possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, as I ended up with Hyatt Globalist, MR PLT, and IHG Spire/AMB through 2023, so I need to sort out what to focus on going forward. The hotel rates were just so great, especially here in Thailand, so we did a number of beach resort stays at an incredibly low cost. I'll definitely keep IC's AMB though, as it's a money-maker.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:57 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
It could go either way. Ive had bogos post both one night or two over the years after posting
And if you can depend on one thing its that IHG customer service will suck
each and every time with clueless robots that answer the phone
So risky IMO if you dont have a plan B
Even with 2 qualifying nights I had to argue with the idiots as they told me 300 dollars for 2 Nights
was a non qualifying rate
Yet I had confirmed that it was qualifying prior to staying
After hours on the phone and escalating the issue they said it was their mistake and they would post it manually
You get what you pay for and IHg pays the price with much of my lost business with their pretty much horrendous customer service
Actually, I've found that the AMB service phone line has been improving, though I'm not sure it's different staff than the IHG CS phone line. But, they've been better than in the past, though I seldom have problems that need resolving with IHG/IC, since I've been doing more award nights, plus fewer overall due to COVID. Often, the cost difference with IHG properties more than makes up for the lack of program benefits/amenities, though again, fewer data points, but I do use the $20 F&B credit at IC's as often as possible (upcoming IC Pattaya stay for CNY and I "prepaid" for breakfast at a decent rate-THB291 for 2 people per day-so the F&B credit should cover most of the other charges since we'll have a car and run out for a fish lunch on the beach.)

2020/2021 were possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, as I ended up with Hyatt Globalist, MR PLT, and IHG Spire/AMB through 2023, so I need to sort out what to focus on going forward. The hotel rates were just so great, especially here in Thailand, so we did a number of beach resort stays at an incredibly low cost. I'll definitely keep IC's AMB though, as it's a money-maker.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Was the 20k AMB renewal bonus (after completing 2 nights by April 2022) targeted? I never received the offer, but need to decide whether to renew by the end of this month. Has anyone had luck qualifying for the promo if they never received the email?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:05 pm

Has anyone able to renew/join with the cash option? It always gives me an error. Used different browsers with the same result
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:51 pm

Same. Was a disaster.

Needed 3 calls to pay though phone. First two persons were clueless.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by 336
Same. Was a disaster.

Needed 3 calls to pay though phone. First two persons were clueless.
Welcome to the IHG international call center.Home to the most dysfunctional lost robotic frustrating global service in the world
I think for a decade I've rated them near 0 on the surveys and yet the cluster* lives on
At least they are consistent.When I think of the hundreds of nights that could have been theirs I think that someone up in corporate is thinking
how cost effective it is to be operating from there.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:44 pm

I should add that the third person was also clueless, as she was getting payment errors.

Though during the call we came to notice that account started reflecting AMB.

Never received sign up email confirmation.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:04 pm

I should add that the third person was also clueless, as she was getting payment errors.

Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:04 pm

Called last night to make the payment. It was a smooth process. However, the 15k points didn't post while the AMB night is already in my account. Def YMMV haha
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by 336

Originally Posted by Jetrigger
Called last night to make the payment. It was a smooth process. However, the 15k points didn't post while the AMB night is already in my account. Def YMMV haha
First-timers or renewals?

Maybe the 15,000 gets triggered via online sign-up?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.