Regent Phu Quoc [Master Thread]

Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nicolas75
I can understand your disappointment at not receiving an upgrade.
But aren't the basic rooms 78m2 suites, which isn't exactly small (besides, the superior category is usually sold at almost double the price of the basic room).

I have no doubt, however, that you will enjoy your stay in this beautiful hotel.
Not the point and actually the upgrade is about 150 so not double the rate. 437 vs 574 usd.

My point is the approach and lack of any transparency. Apply the terms and conditions.

The room is large but it is not a suite.

it is a room with a big balcony. We can get into the definition of what a suite is but this is not a suite in anyones imagination. Its one room and a bathroom.

Yes the place is nice but I put honesty above things.

disappointing and from what I read here it is the hotel policy to not upgrade guests
336 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dewby
Actually the upgrade is about 150 so not double the rate. 437 vs 574 usd.
You're right, in low season, the price of the Garden Pool Suites is strangely not much more expensive than the Ocean View Suites.

My point is the approach and lack of any transparency. Apply the terms and conditions.
In Asia, you certainly need to learn how to deal with saying 'no'.

In Sweden, you'd get something like: "But you didn't book a higher category!..." (which isn't necessarily more pleasant ).

Was it a stay on points?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
The upgrade prices from base rooms to higher tier rooms is very reasonable. I would suggest if you want a particular room, to ask how much the upgrade cost will be. Like a poster said above, the suite is not really a suite and the "balcony" part of the room is not air conditioned. We paid a very reasonable upgrade to a 2-bedroom sky pool villa, and are excited about our upcoming trip .
nicolas75 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:18 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
I did not have a particular wish on a room. My point was hotels not applying the terms of the programme. Minor for some, for me it is about honesty.

This was a paid stay.

Ultimately this was sorted out. I spoke to the diamond line at IHG and voiced my concern that diamond privileges are not honoured (this is not the first time over the past 10 days) it is what led me to do this.

I have also had this at a few Hyatt properties as a globalist although not many.

The hotel contacted me and almost insisted that I move and that I take a very late check out to compensate. Based on the noise I created I took it. This could have been avoided clearly if done at check in. There were rooms of the second category available.

I think I am now in a terrace pool suite which is 2 levels up. . Its the one on the second floor of the villa complex with a Long pool. Room is huge. I am a solo traveller so well over the top for me. Nice of the hotel and if I returned with my family I would book this room. It offers a high level of privacy and space and the pool is great. The terrace has 4 loungers.

The GM came and found me at dinner and apologised. Explained it was a rare slip in what they do. He explained the hotel is all about experience and in this case they had not done that.

credence to the hotel. Operational mistakes happen but I guess how they are rectified is what matters.

Dinner last night was exceptional. Prices not crazy. I had a very hearty dinner (2 main courses because I could not decide) and it cost 1.2 VND. Without wine. For a 5 star hotel of this standard that is a bargain.

On the hotel. They have very fine amenities.The longer you stay the more you pick up on the little and sometimes very subtle touches.

The room mini bar is free. A good selection of soft drinks and a couple of beers. A bottle of nice and high quality wine was also provided.

The beach flip flops provided are the most comfy I have ever found in a hotel. Very high quality.

aqua di Parma bath amenities. I use these at home so was super happy to see these. Some Park Hyatt's used to have them but have been phased out.

The bath robes are very colourful and fun. A nice touch. These and the bath slippers are an intentional splash of colour for sure.

The turn down service left a micro towel to clean my glasses in the same crazy design as the bath robe. A nice touch and will be a nice reminder of the hotel.

The robes are actually a well placed idea and design master piece. The hotel is mostly grey and pastel tones and these items kind of mix it up. A very nice design. Reminds me a bit of Bensley properties where you are caught out but a certain feature.

The breakfast is one of the best spreads I have had. Very very impressive. In Asia orly Capella Ubud and Phulay bay in Krabi can compete from my experiences and that is a very good group to be in. One thing I love. Fresh coconut water. Many hotels charge for this novelty which I dont understand. They literally cut them off trees. Not here. All apart of the massive breakfast spread.

The pools are great and well spread out. I like the beach front pool which is long and has tremendous views especially at sunset.

I can see why this hotel is a fan favorite. There will be people who defend it regardless ala aman junkies. It will no doubt continue to thrive and have regulars.

this is my second regent hotel having spent sometime in the regent in Porto Montenegro. They have amazing suites if anyone is looking for a great hotel in Europe. A must.

would I return here? Yes. Probably. Its a good place to spend a week and chill.

Hope my comments are helpful to fellow travelers .

Incredible sunsets.

The sea is not overly inviting.

Ocean front pool

The standard room. Not really a suite. The bathroom is bigger than the room.

Last edited by dewby; Nov 23, 2023 at 8:25 pm
Old Nov 24, 2023, 4:20 am

I did not have a particular wish on a room. My point was hotels not applying the terms of the programme. Minor for some, for me it is about honesty.

This was a paid stay.

Ultimately this was sorted out. I spoke to the diamond line at IHG and voiced my concern that diamond privileges are not honoured (this is not the first time over the past 10 days) it is what led me to do this.

I have also had this at a few Hyatt properties as a globalist although not many.

The hotel contacted me and almost insisted that I move and that I take a very late check out to compensate. Based on the noise I created I took it. This could have been avoided clearly if done at check in. There were rooms of the second category available.

I think I am now in a terrace pool suite which is 2 levels up. . Its the one on the second floor of the villa complex with a Long pool. Room is huge. I am a solo traveller so well over the top for me. Nice of the hotel and if I returned with my family I would book this room. It offers a high level of privacy and space and the pool is great. The terrace has 4 loungers.

The GM came and found me at dinner and apologised. Explained it was a rare slip in what they do. He explained the hotel is all about experience and in this case they had not done that.

credence to the hotel. Operational mistakes happen but I guess how they are rectified is what matters.

Dinner last night was exceptional. Prices not crazy. I had a very hearty dinner (2 main courses because I could not decide) and it cost 1.2 VND. Without wine. For a 5 star hotel of this standard that is a bargain.

On the hotel. They have very fine amenities.The longer you stay the more you pick up on the little and sometimes very subtle touches.

The room mini bar is free. A good selection of soft drinks and a couple of beers. A bottle of nice and high quality wine was also provided.

The beach flip flops provided are the most comfy I have ever found in a hotel. Very high quality.

aqua di Parma bath amenities. I use these at home so was super happy to see these. Some Park Hyatt's used to have them but have been phased out.

The bath robes are very colourful and fun. A nice touch. These and the bath slippers are an intentional splash of colour for sure.

The turn down service left a micro towel to clean my glasses in the same crazy design as the bath robe. A nice touch and will be a nice reminder of the hotel.

The robes are actually a well placed idea and design master piece. The hotel is mostly grey and pastel tones and these items kind of mix it up. A very nice design. Reminds me a bit of Bensley properties where you are caught out but a certain feature.

The breakfast is one of the best spreads I have had. Very very impressive. In Asia orly Capella Ubud and Phulay bay in Krabi can compete from my experiences and that is a very good group to be in. One thing I love. Fresh coconut water. Many hotels charge for this novelty which I dont understand. They literally cut them off trees. Not here. All apart of the massive breakfast spread.

The pools are great and well spread out. I like the beach front pool which is long and has tremendous views especially at sunset.

I can see why this hotel is a fan favorite. There will be people who defend it regardless ala aman junkies. It will no doubt continue to thrive and have regulars.

this is my second regent hotel having spent sometime in the regent in Porto Montenegro. They have amazing suites if anyone is looking for a great hotel in Europe. A must.

would I return here? Yes. Probably. Its a good place to spend a week and chill.

Hope my comments are helpful to fellow travelers .
(...)
Thanks for the review. We have a stay planned in May so really insightful. Did you access the Club Lounge by any chance?

Last edited by FLYGVA; Nov 24, 2023 at 10:51 am Reason: deleted pictures out of quotd post
Old Nov 24, 2023, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by heer84
Thanks for the review. We have a stay planned in May so really insightful. Did you access the Club Lounge by any chance?
my pleasure. The hotel is really nice. Its the sort of hotel you dont need to leave.

I did not access the club. If the rest is anything to go by I am sure it is exceptional.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Dewby - thanks for the detailed trip report, this is helpful for our stay. If you don't mind me asking, which restaurant did you have your meal?
Old Nov 24, 2023, 7:48 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by patchan8984
Dewby - thanks for the detailed trip report, this is helpful for our stay. If you don't mind me asking, which restaurant did you have your meal?
Hi, it was the rice market. They serve pan Asian and international. The food was some of the tastiest i have had in Asia during this trip.

Food is a thing at the Regent. The GM mentioned that the owners are foodies so take a particular interest in food. The size of the portions also surprised me. Huge.

As discussed in the Hyatt forum by all accounts the same owner group are in the process of building a Park Hyatt next door. This will give a few more options on this island although not sure they can compete with the beauty of places in Malaysia and the Philippines.

Have a great trip.
patchan8984 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 2:56 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Ive been twice and can confirm the food and drinks are quite nice there. You can always walk to the IC and check out the happy hour at the rooftop bar as well
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
That sea looks much more inviting than the North Sea this autumn
Thanks for the photos, interesting to see.
dewby likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HadesNL
That sea looks much more inviting than the North Sea this autumn
I can imagine LoyaltyLobbys Compensation Clinic: full stay refunded and 80,000 points as the sea was not clear enough for my liking 😂😂

Originally Posted by HadesNL
That
Thanks for the photos, interesting to see.
You will get soon a my full report 😊
palermo, HadesNL and Cthunder86 like this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
I can imagine LoyaltyLobbys Compensation Clinic: full stay refunded and 80,000 points as the sea was not clear enough for my liking 😂😂

You will get soon a my full report 😊
No LL stuff please.

I think it is fair to mention that the ocean is not clear. Pictures online can be deceiving. I work in the Maldives so spoilt. Not sure where the comment came from. I guess there is always one.. TY.

The bottom line is the resort is pretty special and commands without doubt the no1 place in PQ. A huge investment for sure.

I am sure we are all looking forward to your report. Anything that helps travelers is a great thing.

I moved to the IC today. The hotel provides a buggy between resorts. Very easy.

The IC club is nice and super friendly staff but a definite noticeable downgrade in ambience and quality. That said the club is really nice and has a great selection over the canap hour. I really like the menu. Light and as it should be. Prepares you for dinner well.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:57 am

I checked in here today.

initially no mention of an upgrade and also amenity was automatic as points. Slightly odd.

I did ask about an upgrade and enquired why non were given or offered. They made the excuse that they were not aware of my status which I dont buy as I made the booking on the IHG app. They then tell me that they do have rooms for upgrade but they only have one and a guest is arriving the next day so I would need to check out at 1000.

what a load of palava. I really dislike the dishonesty. Ultimately if they want to be apart of the IHG group they should abide by the T&Cs. Bottom line the upgrade was available yet they decline to offer it. It makes a mockery of the whole programme.

I will say that the resort is stunning and super smart. Its certainly catering to a certain crowd.

bottom line for me is it leave a a sour taste when they dont abide by the so called offerings.

oh well. Another hotel off my list
They have done complete reversal about being loyalty oriented when they opened to a attitude you described. I stayed Regent Phu Quoc recently and was not given any upgrade. Resort was empty. I pressed and even escalated to the management. Left a really really sour taste in my mouth also. REsort is stunning and otherwise the service great.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Two stays with zero upgrades. I have received a room on the highest floor possible which provided amazing views but the recognition is deplorable. Outside of that, this hotel and HK should be the Regent standard going forward
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
7 minutes ago

Kevin posted his HD review of the Regent
Happy watchings everyone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.