Reasons Not To Stay At A Candlewood Suites

Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle

New Candlewood Suites design
Old Mar 12, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: I sign up for programs so they have my preferences on file.
Half the points. I can take or leave breakfast- but points are my sacred cow.
Exiled in Express likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:31 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75
I like how fancy it looks.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Candlewood Suites is low-end and they often get shady guests. I use them because they are close to a few of my frequently visited locations. I've lost count of times of smelling marijuana in the hallway or hearing people screaming, yelling and fighting.

I think the demographics of guests is often the key weakness of this brand.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wlau
Candlewood Suites is low-end and they often get shady guests. I use them because they are close to a few of my frequently visited locations. I've lost count of times of smelling marijuana in the hallway or hearing people screaming, yelling and fighting.

I never once smelled marijuana whenever my family and I would stay at a hotel. It means that kids should say no to drugs. Sorry I couldn't resist.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor

I stayed in a Candlewood Suites in Birmingham a long time ago, first experience with the brand. It reminded me of an Extended Stay America (I thought it may have even been reflagged, but it was not). Strong food odors in the hallway, surly front desk staff, noisy, dogs all over, dog poop around the exterior, room was clean, but not the most comfortable bed. I decided Candlewood wasn't for me and did not stay again for a long time.

Then I got in on a Point Break (remember those?) at a Candlewood near MCI. Though the hotel was crowded I was very lucky it was a perfectly acceptable stay. Clean, bed was fine, no issues at all.

The marijuana issue is not limited to just brands catering to the demographic like Candlewood. Unfortunately that is even a problem at much nicer hotels as well.
Will Stonehocker likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I stayed in a Candlewood Suites in Birmingham a long time ago, first experience with the brand. It reminded me of an Extended Stay America (I thought it may have even been reflagged, but it was not). Strong food odors in the hallway, surly front desk staff, noisy, dogs all over, dog poop around the exterior, room was clean, but not the most comfortable bed. I decided Candlewood wasn't for me and did not stay again for a long time.

Then I got in on a Point Break (remember those?) at a Candlewood near MCI. Though the hotel was crowded I was very lucky it was a perfectly acceptable stay. Clean, bed was fine, no issues at all.

The marijuana issue is not limited to just brands catering to the demographic like Candlewood. Unfortunately that is even a problem at much nicer hotels as well.
You do have a very good point. Turns out bigger is not always better.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
I never once smelled marijuana whenever my family and I would stay at a hotel. It means that kids should say no to drugs. Sorry I couldn't resist.
Like anything, location is the key. There are some Candlewood Suites that are located near industrial/technology parks, and they get some professional staying there as temporary housing, then these locations are fine. But by in large, Candlewood Suites are located in less desirable areas, so they have lower rate which attracts certain client demographics.

If you visit any liberal cities like SF, LA, NY and so on, then you will surely find hotels with strong marijuana smells. In fact, I think they are a signature of extended stay hotels.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Like anything, location is the key. There are some Candlewood Suites that are located near industrial/technology parks, and they get some professional staying there as temporary housing, then these locations are fine. But by in large, Candlewood Suites are located in less desirable areas, so they have lower rate which attracts certain client demographics.

If you visit any liberal cities like SF, LA, NY and so on, then you will surely find hotels with strong marijuana smells. In fact, I think they are a signature of extended stay hotels.
I agree.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Reason not to stay: suites advertised as "one-bedroom" and the photos make it look like a true one bedroom, but when you get there, there's no door and walls that only extend halfway.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
Reason not to stay: suites advertised as "one-bedroom" and the photos make it look like a true one bedroom, but when you get there, there's no door and walls that only extend halfway.
I'm not even sure why someone at IHG thought that would ever fly. The Towneplace Suites has the decency to include a door to split off the bedroom and living room, as does the Home2 Suites (IDK the Mainstay Suites).
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

I didn't want to be the one to say this, but since you brought it up...
We had two Candlewood Suites stays last year. They were both fine as far as the hotel property/rooms. But there were dogs everywhere - on the elevator & left unattended in rooms to whine. And smokers every time we walked outside, whether in front or on the back patio. We joked that it must be a requirement to be a smoker with a dog to stay in a Candlewood Suites.

MTA: I like dogs. But I don't want to be on an elevator with a large dog that I don't know - if you're about to walk your dog outside, why not start off with the stairs?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by ehallison
if you're about to walk your dog outside, why not start off with the stairs?
Because they smoke and dont have the lung capacity anymore...obviously
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
I'm not even sure why someone at IHG thought that would ever fly. The Towneplace Suites has the decency to include a door to split off the bedroom and living room, as does the Home2 Suites (IDK the Mainstay Suites).
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
I also love when an open loft is considered a bedroom
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:27 pm

I stay at Candlewood for a few reasons:
1) close to some businesses I need to visit
2) too much travel and I want to feel like home, so the studio/apartment feel is nice
3) small kitchen that I can actually cook - tired of eating out unhealthy stuff constantly
4) able to do laundry for free and they usually have several machines that can be used in parallel

Having said that, outside of a few locations near business parks, most other locations do get shady or questionable guests. If the price stays low, it makes sense but I've noticed that after the recent renovations, the prices have gone up a lot. It's at a point that I rather go to HIX and Staybridge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.