Wiki Posts
Search

IHG still flogging Ambassador membership

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2021, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by beachfan
The lack of benefits on award stays is a reason for me to not join.
Benefits on even a cash stay can can be weak enough to go unnoticed: I really wouldn't worry about missing out on award stays.

I haven't noticed any difference in the way I'm treated on point-fuelled nights. I've received the same lacklustre range of upgrades on award nights as I have when paying cash.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Tried to sign up for Ambassador. First, tired to pay with points. Got this message: "We’re sorry, there was an issue processing payment. Please try a different card or contact Customer Care for assistance."

Then, tried to pay with credit card. Got SAME message.

Is this happening to anyone else?
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:03 am

I signed up for Ambassador a few weeks ago for that extra free night promo and had a paid stay at an IC hotel in Washington, DC. We checked out 8 days ago and still haven't seen anything post re: the free night. I'll give it a few more days before giving them a call to see what's up. But so far it's not as seamless as I would have hoped.

That said the Ambassador benefits at the IC hotel were great - we got a suite for the price of a normal room, and got to check in at 11am when we arrived and took advantage of the 4pm check out, which was fantastic.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by uncleruckus
I signed up for Ambassador a few weeks ago for that extra free night promo and had a paid stay at an IC hotel in Washington, DC. We checked out 8 days ago and still haven't seen anything post re: the free night. I'll give it a few more days before giving them a call to see what's up. But so far it's not as seamless as I would have hoped.

That said the Ambassador benefits at the IC hotel were great - we got a suite for the price of a normal room, and got to check in at 11am when we arrived and took advantage of the 4pm check out, which was fantastic.
mine got deposited super fast, less than 5 days. I didn't get a suite upgrade at SF though, got a higher floor with a bathroom also viewing the bay at first, then went down asked again, got a corner room. Didn't use early later checin/out as I didn't need it.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001
Tried to sign up for Ambassador. First, tired to pay with points. Got this message: "We’re sorry, there was an issue processing payment. Please try a different card or contact Customer Care for assistance."

Then, tried to pay with credit card. Got SAME message.

Is this happening to anyone else?
same to me, their website is trashy, I had to call in to beg them take my money.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by simonsuo
mine got deposited super fast, less than 5 days. I didn't get a suite upgrade at SF though, got a higher floor with a bathroom also viewing the bay at first, then went down asked again, got a corner room. Didn't use early later checin/out as I didn't need it.
How does it appear in your account? I have the one free ambassador one, but I figure I should see something else that's obvious.

I may need to call because this booking was made in a peculiar way as we were supposed to stay in a newly renovated Kimpton but apparently the renovations were not complete yet so they rebooked us on the phone to the Wilard instead. So I wouldn't be surprised if that breaks the automatic trigger to provide the free night.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by uncleruckus
How does it appear in your account? I have the one free ambassador one, but I figure I should see something else that's obvious.

I may need to call because this booking was made in a peculiar way as we were supposed to stay in a newly renovated Kimpton but apparently the renovations were not complete yet so they rebooked us on the phone to the Wilard instead. So I wouldn't be surprised if that breaks the automatic trigger to provide the free night.
It has its own free night box. I have already redeemed it, not stayed though.

See the right, I have expanded the t&c and details.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:45 pm

For those who renewed recently, could you check how the renewal was coded on credit card? When I renewed by phone almost two years ago it was billed as "IHG Ambassador Activation" and did not triggered the IHG card bonus since it was coded as business service. Wondering if this remains the same, and if renewing at a hotel would trigger the bonus category.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
For those who renewed recently, could you check how the renewal was coded on credit card? When I renewed by phone almost two years ago it was billed as "IHG Ambassador Activation" and did not triggered the IHG card bonus since it was coded as business service. Wondering if this remains the same, and if renewing at a hotel would trigger the bonus category.
Did a renewal a couple of days ago, and the charge coded as "Business Service" when it posted online to my IHG credit card this AM. So I'm not expecting any bonus, but will look carefully at my next statement.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
10% Back on Points do Stack

Originally Posted by kumaranik
Does the 10% back on redemptions stack with the Chase Select card 10% back on point redemptions?
The two 10% back's are separate, and yes, they have stacked for me in the past. The 10% back's took a long time to post, as I recall.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by simonsuo
It has its own free night box. I have already redeemed it, not stayed though.

See the right, I have expanded the t&c and details.
Ah nice, thank you. I see that on my account now. I guess this is completely separate from the other "Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night", so we're all good!

Thank you.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by Bowgie
The two 10% back's are separate, and yes, they have stacked for me in the past. The 10% back's took a long time to post, as I recall.
I definitely don't get 10% back for Ambassador. I do for the credit card.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
The 10% Back Ambassador Benefit may be Gone.

Originally Posted by rogo
I definitely don't get 10% back for Ambassador. I do for the credit card.
You are probably right. It looks like the 10% back on point stays was only given on Ambassador renewals, and likely phased out entirely by now.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/10/25/...sador-members/
rogo likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:10 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The free weekend voucher can be used any day of the week at Kimpton and Regent hotels but only on a Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun at an IC

And IIRC the use at Kimpton and Regent is only until the end of this year.

And whilst the rates for using the weekend cert are a higher than best flexible when you take unto account you are only paying for the first night of the stay you are still making a saving.
It all depends on where you use it. I use mine at the IC SF, and even with the higher AMB Cert rates, I usually can get about $200 or more of savings. Of course, my friend recently went to Tahiti and I showed him where AMB saved him over $700 at the IC on Bora Bora-the nice one. He did book the Thursday night separately, so he saw how much less it was than the AMB rate but still, at US$1300 to $2000 per night (he wanted the Diamond Overwater Villa,) it worked out well, even getting a US$50 F&B credit, reduced price on the breakfast, and since IHG's IT is so screwed up and he had to call to get his points straightened out, they made the first night a separate res and that gave him the 3X promo points.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
It all depends on where you use it.
The more your spend, the more you save.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.