Please post your Royal Ambassador Experiences 2021

Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Presidente Cancun Resort

IC Presidente Cancun Resort

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked King InterContinental Signature Balcony, received King Resort Suite Ocean View Balcony (had to push for this upgrade because based on price this looked like it would have been a 2 category upgrade, but front desk staff insisted it wasn't)

How are the rooms?
Great oceanfront views and enjoyable balcony, but this room is set a little further back in the high tower. The suite was fine, kind of basic but there was a real Nespresso machine. Only paper cups were provided but we snagged a few plastic ones from the bar. Minimal toiletries provided because of COVID and they provided one bathrobe but housekeeping would provide anything asked for.

How is the exec. lounge?
The physical lounge was closed the entire time we were there in January. Club Breakfast was provided in the main dining room on 2 mornings, then that dining room closed for maintenance and breakfast was served for all guests in what was previously the Club Lounge. In both locations, there was a "buffet" behind glass that was served by staff. The Waitstaff was overwhelmed in the Club Lounge and it was hard to get silverware, condiments, water, pretty much anything. One morning there was a line of 3 or 4 people waiting to get seated and we waited over 10 minutes for someone to realize we were standing there.
​​​
Club Lounge evening cocktails were provided in the lobby bar from 6 to 8pm and the bartenders were amazing! Very attentive with refills. Snacks were minimal - preplated/covered cold appetizers that varied every night plus bags of nuts/chips. Not enough for dinner like pre-COVID stays, but good for a small snack. Since these items were located on a table in the lobby, they disappeared pretty quickly (all guests helped themselves).

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Nothing

How was the minibar?
The minibar was empty but the front desk sent up room service attendants with a QR code and we told them what we wanted. They were out of beer, wine, gatorade, perrier, diet coke but we got a few bottles each of tequila, vodka, and whiskey. Have no idea what the cost was and they brought us plenty so didn't ask for refills.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
-- The beach is one of the best in Cancun
-- Hotel room views
-- Bartenders at the lobby bar were fantastic
-- It wasn't crowded at all and we felt extremely safe the entire time

-Bad
-- No communication prior to our stay. I emailed the hotel multiple times prior to arriving (used various email addresses) and no one ever responded. After we arrived, I asked the front desk about that and they said they were short staffed and had no one to check email.
-- I emailed Royal Ambassador services before we arrived to see if they could find out if the Club Lounge was open and to make some requests (upgrade to room with a balcony since there aren't may of those). They did contact the hotel for me, but info provided was not accurate
-- No beer, wine, mixers for the minibar, but this hotel never had the best minibar to begin with

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Yes, the room rate was great and it included $50 per day for food/beverages. We had a lot of Cheladas on the beach every day!

Would you return?
Yes! We left Cancun a few days prior to mandatory COVID test but it looks like the hotel is providing that service to guests now.
FLYGVA and Tim O'Brien like this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM; BA GLD; UA 1MM; Marriott Lfe Ti, Hyatt Glob, Hilt Dmd, IHG Dmd RA, GT Globility Board
IC Phuket

IC Phuket

What is your Priority Club status?
Spire RA

Yes, fantastic both times.

Booked the cheapest room (King Classic) for 4 weeks and received upgrade to King Club Ocean View Room for 3 weeks and King Club Ocean View Suite the last week of the stay. This was probably because the hotel was mostly empty last month, otherwise see RA upgrade chart below.

How are the rooms?
King Club Ocean View has a great location near the Executive Lounge, pool, beach and Jaras restaurant
Decent size but not very well designed. Specifically there is no work area and the bathroom is separated from the bedroom by sliding doors which open onto the bathtub (i.e. you have to slide the door completely open to be able to step into the bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Excellent and extremely attentive and friendly service. No issue at all getting refills of drinks or food. However the canapes are served at the table in sets of 4 and very small, they are clearly intended as appetizers only and even if you had 2 or 3 sets they could not replace dinner. Happy hour is from 5 to 7.

Yes, a bottle of Chilean red wine. A basket of fruits and a small food amenity including green tea and cookies were refreshed daily

How was the minibar?
Not much choice and way overpriced. However there is a set of specialty rum/vodka/gin (small bottles) which can be bought with the RA minibar credit.

-Good
Superb new hotel, beautiful location and rooms, great fitness, but what really makes the difference is the six star service. RA recognition is very good, breakfast was available in the lounge or at the restaurant. Fire show on the beach every Fri, Sat, Sun.

-Bad
I have read some mixed comments about the main road crossing through the hotel grounds. In reality it splits the hotel into 2 parts, which in my experience causes minimal disturbance as there is a short tunnel under it. If anything it gives the beach side the feeling of a private club.
Cafe del Mar next door will be noisy on the week-ends if staying in beachside Club rooms.

Currently the value if unbeatable, due to Thailand being largely closed to tourists.

Would you return?
Going back soon for another long stay

Last edited by jmurat1041; Mar 23, 2021 at 9:54 am
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC San Diego

IC San Diego

Yes!

Booked Waterview King, received City View King Corner

How are the rooms?
Modern and bright, with amazing views of downtown, San Diego Bay, USS MIDWAY and the Aircraft Carriers at North Island. Floor to ceiling windows, plenty of outlets and USB ports The only toiletries available were agaria soap, bath gel, shampoo, conditioner. Had to call twice for bathrobes and slippers but one of the best robes yet.

How is the exec. lounge?
It was really great considering Covid days. Open from 8am to 8pm with bagged snacks out all day plus 2 beers, prosecco and 2 red wines on tap all day. Mini fridge with water, sparkling water, chardonnay, and sodas available all day, too.
Breakfast was available 8 to 1030am and was order off a menu on 2 days and a buffet one day (served by the attendant). Cocktail hour was from 6 to 7pm with apps ordered off a menu (maybe 5 or 6 options)
The club is located off the 3rd floor lobby and has indoor and outdoor seating with views of the bay, USS Midway and North Island. The outdoor patio was really nice!

Nothing because of covid. But everyone gets IC San Diego branded hand sanitizer at check-in.

How was the minibar?
One of the best I've seen! Local SD beers, Johnny Walker Black, tequila, bourbon, vodka, gin, 375 ml bottles of red and white wine, champagne, mixers and a mixed drinks (like old fashioneds, Bloody Marys, mimosas) And a $95 375 ml bottle of tequila. No service charge or tax is added, either.

-Good
- Really everything!
- ​​​​​​The downtown location and views are incredible. Only a few minutes from the airport and across from a trolley stop
- Club Lounge with beer and wine available all day- Patio seating at the Club with amazing sunsets- Modern rooms with floor to ceiling windows, plenty of outlets

-Bad
Nothing really. I'm sure the hotel will be even more amazing after Covid

Yes

Would you return?
Yes, definitely
Old May 1, 2021, 8:39 am

IC New Orleans

IC New Orleans

Yes, sort of (we've stayed here many times)

Booked King Superior, received InterContinental Suite

How are the rooms?
Not one of the best suites or upgrades we have had at this hotel. The door to the suite opened into the bedroom with a half bath and the living area had the full bathroom. Just kind of an odd setup. Both rooms were pretty small compared to some of the other suites we've stayed in and this one did not have a balcony.
We asked for housekeeping on the second day of a 4 night stay and it didn't happen until the next day.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A (closed several years ago).
The restaurant that serves breakfast was still closed because of Covid, so no free breakfast for RAs. They did have a grab and go breakfast available (eggs, bacon, potatoes, pastries) on Saturday and Sunday though but not free for RAs. They are giving RAs the $20 Ambassador F&B credit that could be used for the grab & go or in the gift shop for snacks/drinks.

Nothing because of covid. Not even water in the room, but the front desk did give free water from the gift shop if requested.

How was the minibar?
Empty because of covid. Wine and beer were available for purchase at the front desk instead and they gave RAs $50 a day for that. Beers were only $5, too. One night I asked for wine and they only option available was prosecco.

-Good
- $5 beers from the front desk vs $9 from the mini bar
- ​​​​​​Location
-Bad
- No breakfast available for RAs and no compensation- No welcome gift- Housekeeping was tough to get even on request
- Not one of the best upgrades we've had at this hotel- Rooftop pool was closed (they said it's only open seasonally but we've stayed there in March when the pool has been open)
- No mini bar

Yes

Would you return?
Yes, hopefully now that New Orleans has opened up more, the hotel will start getting closer to normal soon.
FLYGVA, Tim O'Brien and Graf von B like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
New York - Times Square

OK.

Booked King Deluxe, received Sky Corner King.

How are the rooms?
This room is kind of small for an upgraded room, but great corner views in two directions. Good bathroom. One fault is that since there is so little space, they place part of the automated mini-bar in front of the TV. And you have to swing the TV out from the wall to watch in bed. So you knock over the bottles of water and wine which get automatically charged to your room. Of course they know about this and will take the charges off when you ask, but you have to ask. Also when I took a bottle of white wine out of the fridge, it was half-empty. Not a good QA job by the mini-bar person. But at least this is one of the rare US IC's that even stocks their mini-bar these days.

However even though they have a full mini-bar, the do not places any glassware in the room, aside from two coffee mugs by the coffee machine. They claim that they cannot offer glassware because the restaurants are closed. But they somehow manage to provide coffee mugs.

How is the exec. lounge?
None.

I don't recall anything.

How was the minibar?
Pretty average US minibar. But rather poor that they have no glassware.

-Good
- Generally decent property

-Bad
No glasses in the room. No restaurants open, even though the neighborhood is packed with open restaurants.
They said they would give me 5000 points to replace the lack of breakfast, but they never did.

Yes because I got a rather cheap rate.

Would you return?
Maybe.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Willard - Washington DC

Yes

Booked King Classic, received Junior Suite

How are the rooms?
This was my first time in this suite which was also a corner room, with views out towards the Ellipsis in one direction and the Monument in the other direction. A rather nice room with walk-in shower.

How is the exec. lounge?
None.

I don't recall anything.

How was the minibar?
They still do not stock the minibar, but will bring you what you ask for if you ring down.

-Good
Excellent historical property in a great location.
The Cafe du Parc restaurant has been open since last June and breakfast quality has always been great throughout.
The Round Robin bar is now open, although they don't seem to serve food or even chips and nuts.

-Bad
They are not giving out any drink coupons as previously.

The price has gone up quite a bit since last year, but the hotel was indeed busy.

Would you return?
Yes.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boston

In the end, yes.

Booked King Deluxe, received Exec Suite.

How are the rooms?
The same room as I always get. Loads of space and great views over the water.

How is the exec. lounge?
Closed for COVID.

Nope, not even water in the room. But you could grab a bottle at the front desk.

How was the minibar?
They now claim that MA law forbids mini-bar, or any credit that can be used by alcohol. I predict that won't last, but it's that way for now.

They were previously giving a $100 credit to all RA's or anyone who booked club. That has been changed to $50 per day. However you cannot use that for alcohol. Good luck spending your $50 credit because the kitchen closes super early, like 7:45pm and there is no room service at this hotel. I guess it is hard to hire staff these days. They have a pantry like a cheap 3-star hotel would, but can you spend your $50 credit on chips and soft-drinks?

-Good
- I had a bad experience with the bar/restaurant, but the excellent front desk manager did a wonderful job of service recovery. To reward him I stayed an extra night.

-Bad
The interpretation of new laws and the hotels ability to hire enough staff. It's a tough time for hotels, especially ones that depended so much on conference business.

Yes thanks to good service recovery.

Would you return?
Yes.
FLYGVA and VaBeachGirl like this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:31 am

IC Regency Bahrain

Bahrain

Yes (stayed here many times)

Booked King Exec, received InterContinental Club Suite on 11th floor

How are the rooms?
Newly renovated and a lot brighter than a few years ago (same small windows but that can't change!). Living room area with couch, chairs, coffee table, small round dining table, half bath, mini bar, Nespresso machine. Only coffee cups, no wine glasses or other glasses (I'm sure I could have asked, though). Bedroom with king bed, desk, large full bathroom. Minimal toiletries provided because of covid, but could request anything. Plenty of closet and storage space.
Housekeeping came every day (and not just on request).

How is the exec. lounge?
7th floor lounge is still closed because of Covid. Club Breakfast was available in one of the restaurants (until Bahrain shutdown again) or from room service (can pre-order the night before). Club Lounge Happy Hour was available in the Noor Lounge from 6 to 8pm. They brought out some cold and hot appetizers and any beverages.

After Bahrain closed down bars, restaurants, pools, etc, again on 27 May, the Club Lounge HH was served from Room Service. First day or two, it was served in plastic and takeaway containers then they switched back to glasses and plates.
Afternoon tea was available from 3 to 5pm but I was never really around.

Fruit and a gorgeous chocolate and pastry platter. Lots of water replenished daily. I stayed at the hotel for 18 nights and after the first few days, they delivered lilies to my room and then replaced them once they wilted. Just a nice touch and they smelled amazing.

How was the minibar?
Initially empty because of covid, but before I arrived I had them add beer and wine. Had to call room service for refills which was fine. After third refill, they just stocked it as they normally would so in addition to beer/wine there was a good selection of whiskeys, vodka, gin, prosecco, mixers, perrier. I never received a price list and had no idea how much I spent over the 18 days, but wasn't charged anything additional.

-Good
- All staff members are extremely helpful, welcoming and everyone knew my name
- Fresh lilies in my room
- Daily housekeeping without having to ask!
- Modified club lounge offerings were still fantastic. I really liked have the Club HH in the Noor Lounge, just more interesting and social- Location next to the souq and not far from The Avenues, Bahrain Bay, Reef Island, City Centre. Only a few minutes drive to the convention center for 5 day covid test
-Bad
- Out of the hotel's control, but it was tough when both pools were shutdown by Bahrain for covid. For a day or two, you could still still outside by the pool or sit at shaded tables/chairs, but then they shutdown all outdoor areas.
​​​​

Yes

Would you return?
Yes, anytime!!
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New York - Barclay

Partly

Booked standard, received King Premier

How are the rooms?
They don't often upgrade to suites or exec rooms here. But this room was about as good a normal room you'd want as it is on the corner with windows facing north and west. Quality furnishings and a nice bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Closed. Not for COVID laws as NY is all open now. But probably because of low business and difficulty in hiring staff.

Nope, not even water in the room. But you could grab a bottle at the front desk.

How was the minibar?
Minibar is good, but not great.

-Good
- I went over on the mini-bar and it was all automatically removed at check out.

-Bad
No club, no restaurant, no breakfast and no points compensation.

Not a great value without Club and Breakfast.

Would you return?
Maybe.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Washington DC - Wharf

Yes

Booked deluxe, given king superior.

How are the rooms?
This was the first time I didn't get at least a junior suite here. I booked last minute and arrived late though. And the room was certainly nice enough with plenty of space and a nice large bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
None.

A $7 bottle of red wine.

How was the minibar?
Pretty average. Charges were all removed at check out.

-Good
Although the weather was poor, the area was quite lively. They have a fire pit just outside the hotel where you can roast marshmallows. Nobody stopped me when I walked out there at night with a large glass of wine and sat down to enjoy the fire.

-Bad
Not super bad, but the excellent Kith and Kin restaurant is gone. The new restaurant is called Moon Rabbit. Not sure why it has that name. For me the menu wasn't great. I ordered a "whole" branzino and what arrived was not a whole fish but a filet. But it was delicious and cooked perfectly.

Yes

Would you return?
Yes but I prefer the Willard.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Booked deluxe, given king superior.

How are the rooms?
This was the first time I didn't get at least a junior suite here. I booked last minute and arrived late though. And the room was certainly nice enough with plenty of space and a nice large bathroom.
Apparently, this type of room upgrade might be the new normal. Had 2 Queen Deluxe booked because my niece was with me. Received 2 Queen room with balcony on the side of the hotel (exactly a 2 category upgrade). In the past, if I had 2 queens booked would always get a promenade room. They wanted to charge me an extra $150 for that room type. I've probably stayed here over 35 times since they opened Oct 2017. Disappointing loyalty treatment.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
Apparently, this type of room upgrade might be the new normal. Had 2 Queen Deluxe booked because my niece was with me. Received 2 Queen room with balcony on the side of the hotel (exactly a 2 category upgrade). In the past, if I had 2 queens booked would always get a promenade room. They wanted to charge me an extra $150 for that room type. I've probably stayed here over 35 times since they opened Oct 2017. Disappointing loyalty treatment.
I don't get that behavior. Yes they are under an extreme profitability crunch, but why upset some of your best customers? If you have empty suites why not upgrade?

I'll also note that the nice man checking me in was a former concierge from the Willard. They aren't able to bring him back to the Willard yet, but they found a spot for him at the front desk at the Wharf. He was just learning the ropes when I checked in.
turner32 and VaBeachGirl like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Intercontinental Le Grand Paris

Checked out this week, had been looking forward to this since…Covid. Review:

Mostly not.

Booked Deluxe, received Opera View Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?
Good size for Paris, full sofa at the end of the bed. Shower and bath. Big closet on entry.
Two “balconies”, each 1 person size.
New colour scheme of gray and light blue in this room, very different from old gold & red. Looks great.
Plenty of charge points including USB.
Desk with chair.

How is the exec. lounge?
Closed.
Breakfast is offered at Cafe de la Paix.
1 x daily free drink at Cafe de la Paix.

Small box of cherries.
Printed “welcome” card from the GM, no handwritten, addressed to me and a wife I don’t have.

How was the minibar?
Empty. Welcome letter said I could spend 50 a night from it but I didn’t query how.

-Good
Glad it’s reopend.
Refreshed rooms look great.
Recent construction on surrounding streets is finished.
Hotel staff are good, nice to see familiar faces.
Breakfast is high quality.

-Bad
Why is the lounge closed when bars and restaurants in Paris now allow indoor dining.
Personalised service and welcome at the lounge is sorely missed - regulars will know the staff member I am referring to.
Attention to detail - in 10+ stays I have never had a wife mentioned.
Poor substitute offer for RAs.
Breakfast was chaotic - don’t take it if you’re in a hurry. Literally every table around me had to complain about something. Some left without having been served.
Room was not serviced one evening - this is not due to Covid service levels.

Would you return?
Not until normal service resumes. I have cancelled next two stays. One I will try Kimpton across the road.
The other I will move to London Park Lane, they treat RAs well.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
InterContinental Malta

Yes

Booked Junior Suite and was upgraded to Panoramic suite.

How are the rooms?
Superb design
Around 110 sqm
Very comfortable bed
Very efficient air conditionning
Large bathroom with separate walk-in shower and bathtub
Large living room
Great terrace with view
Unfortunately not possible to connect the television sets with iPhone without a cable

How is the exec. lounge?
Quite nice (even if service can sometimes be slow
Quality breakfast
Good evening cocktails and food selections
Very pleasant terrace

Olive oil from Malta

-Good
Renovated hotel
Superb suites
Pleasant club lounge
Attentive staff
Excellent restaurant by the sea with very friendly staff
Private beach

-Bad
To some reasons, the hotel considers that silence is not a luxury option (loud music at the panoramic pool and at the private beach)
Both outdoor pools can be very crowded

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Points?
Pretty good

Would you return?
Yes

Panoramic pool

Panoramic suite

Restaurant by the sea

DonPedro likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't recall anything.

How was the minibar?
They still do not stock the minibar, but will bring you what you ask for if you ring down.
​​​​​​Had a 2 night stay at the Willard a few weeks ago. Still no welcome gift and they won't bring mini bar items to your room anymore. Instead, they give a $50 F&B credit per stay (not per night).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.