Hotel Indigo Dubai Downtown (Master Thread)

Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Hotel Indigo Dubai Downtown (Master Thread)

Has anyone stayed in the relatively new Hotel Indigo Dubai Downtown? I'm looking for a fresh, new hotel at a mid-price level for spring next year, assuming that travel is permissible by then. Of particular interest is how easy it is to travel around from the hotel. I know it's quite close to The Dubai Mall - is it walkable? Also, are there plenty of places to eat nearby?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 9:16 am

It's a very new hotel, and still mostly surrounded by construction at the moment - there is very little around the hotel to eat out in the immediate vicinity. It would be a 20 minute walk to the Dubai Mall, and Burj Khalifa. Whether you would attempt this on busy roads with sporadic pavements is another thing, especially in the 30oC heat of Dubai spring. That said, its a trendy hotel in a good location for taxi travel - these are plentiful and cheap in Dubai. You can also pick up some discounts on Careem (owned by Uber). 5mins and you'd have the thousands of food options in the Dubai Mall.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by residentx
It's a very new hotel, and still mostly surrounded by construction at the moment - there is very little around the hotel to eat out in the immediate vicinity. It would be a 20 minute walk to the Dubai Mall, and Burj Khalifa. Whether you would attempt this on busy roads with sporadic pavements is another thing, especially in the 30oC heat of Dubai spring. That said, its a trendy hotel in a good location for taxi travel - these are plentiful and cheap in Dubai. You can also pick up some discounts on Careem (owned by Uber). 5mins and you'd have the thousands of food options in the Dubai Mall.
Thanks! I might give it a miss then. I dont mind walking in Dubai for several hours. However, I do mind being near construction works.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:13 am

Just to update this. I stayed here for one night, originally booked four;

* The decor of the hotel is stunning. From the moment you arrive its clear a lot of effort has been put into every aspect.
* The location is excellent for Dubai Mall. You can walk, but the hotel is an island of a nine lane road on the one side and a six lane the other side (sound proofing is just OK - road noise is present in the room). At the current time the front of the hotel has an uninterrupted view of the creek, but there is a building plot in front of the hotel which will eventually block this off.
* The pool area is beautiful but in the winter only receives sun for around 2-3hours per day in the early morning. Some really nice furniture, loungers, day beds and hanging chairs. There is a bar, restaurant and shisha service.
* The lobby is small, but has a cool vibe to it, and leads to the restaurant. The outdoor dining area has a really beautiful mosaic fountain.

My stay here was a shambles, but I think it could be an isolated incident. I arrived at the hotel at 3pm. The junior suite I booked was not ready. There was no upgrade and I had to prompt for drinks vouchers - they gave me 4 in the end. They asked for extra time to clean due to the COVID procedures. I went up to the bar to have some drinks and snacks. The service was slow, one guy on his own but only four customers. He was really friendly when he came over but I had to go the bar each time I needed something.

The room was ready an hour and 45mins later. On arrival at the room it was stiflingly hot and stank of cheap air freshener. All surfaces had sticky marks, even those high touch point areas such as handles. The window had childs hand prints all over it and the bathroom was covered in splashes and marks on the walls. I emailed the GM who, even though she was on holiday, replied almost instantly and sent a senior member of the team to the room with the housekeeping manger. They tried their best with the service recovery.

We went for dinner whilst they tried to clean the room again. Dinner was excellent and the service very, very good. On arrival back at the room there were still cleaning issues but I decided that I didnt want someone back in the room again. After a bad nights sleep due to the air con not firing out cool air, the plugs by the side of the bed not working and the road noise making things worse I decided to check out.

The quality manager was horrified that I was leaving and you could see how much she wanted to avoid this situation but I think it was best to cut our losses on this one. They refunded my non-refundable remaining nights and later my stayed night. They did charge for dinner and we have an issue with another credit card charge which they are investigating currently.

Still waiting for a decent IHG hotel in Dubai.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by residentx
Just to update this. I stayed here for one night, originally booked four;

* The decor of the hotel is stunning. From the moment you arrive it’s clear a lot of effort has been put into every aspect.
* The location is excellent for Dubai Mall. You can walk, but the hotel is an island of a nine lane road on the one side and a six lane the other side (sound proofing is just OK - road noise is present in the room). At the current time the front of the hotel has an uninterrupted view of the creek, but there is a building plot in front of the hotel which will eventually block this off.
* The pool area is beautiful but in the winter only receives sun for around 2-3hours per day in the early morning. Some really nice furniture, loungers, day beds and hanging chairs. There is a bar, restaurant and shisha service.
* The lobby is small, but has a cool vibe to it, and leads to the restaurant. The outdoor dining area has a really beautiful mosaic fountain.

My stay here was a shambles, but I think it could be an isolated incident. I arrived at the hotel at 3pm. The junior suite I booked was not ready. There was no upgrade and I had to prompt for drinks vouchers - they gave me 4 in the end. They asked for extra time to clean due to the COVID procedures. I went up to the bar to have some drinks and snacks. The service was slow, one guy on his own but only four customers. He was really friendly when he came over but I had to go the bar each time I needed something.

The room was ready an hour and 45mins later. On arrival at the room it was stiflingly hot and stank of cheap air freshener. All surfaces had sticky marks, even those high touch point areas such as handles. The window had child’s hand prints all over it and the bathroom was covered in splashes and marks on the walls. I emailed the GM who, even though she was on holiday, replied almost instantly and sent a senior member of the team to the room with the housekeeping manger. They tried their best with the service recovery.

We went for dinner whilst they tried to clean the room again. Dinner was excellent and the service very, very good. On arrival back at the room there were still cleaning issues but I decided that I didn’t want someone back in the room again. After a bad nights sleep due to the air con not firing out cool air, the plugs by the side of the bed not working and the road noise making things worse I decided to check out.

The quality manager was horrified that I was leaving and you could see how much she wanted to avoid this situation but I think it was best to cut our losses on this one. They refunded my non-refundable remaining nights and later my stayed night. They did charge for dinner and we have an issue with another credit card charge which they are investigating currently.

Still waiting for a decent IHG hotel in Dubai.
Ouch. Thanks for the heads up, was considering giving this place a try. Unfortunately, I just checked into the IC Festival City and it was pretty clear from my check in experience they couldn't give a **** so I will be moving tomorrow, too.

See my post in the separate thread about the new Crowne Plaza Dubai Marina, I would say it probably qualifies as a decent IHG choice in Dubai, if not exactly stellar. It's crazy how far below the e.g. equivalent Marriott choices in Dubai IHG's hotels seem to be pitched.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your report residentx . Indeed, I'm still looking for a decent IHG property in Dubai. I'll give the Indigo a miss.

lost_in_translation I will check out your report on the CP Dubai Marina. It does look nice. Unfortunately for me, I'm an 'old Dubai' person who likes to walk around in Dubai all day long. It's quite a trek from Marina to Bur Dubai or Deira. However, if the hotel is nice enough then I'll definitely consider it.

My situation is that I have enough IHG points and a 'free night' to use up for a week's stay at a mid-priced hotel in Dubai. I'd rather not pay cash as times are hard! You are right about the hotels for other chains - they are on a different level to most IHG properties in Dubai.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 10:09 am
wsc

Has anyone stayed since?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Review of my recent stay
residentx and barracuda93 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:39 am
wsc

Originally Posted by nicolas75
very nice 👍 did you get upgraded upon check in or asked before?

did you book points or cash? How was the breakfast, Im on a points booking so no breakfast.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by wsc
very nice 👍 did you get upgraded upon check in or asked before?

did you book points or cash? How was the breakfast, Im on a points booking so no breakfast.
I was upgraded at check-in (but app showed upgrade the day before).
It was a paid stay.
I did not have breakfast at hotel.
wsc and barracuda93 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Thank you!

Wonder what are upgrade chances for Diamonds now. I will probably give it a try in July.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Thank you for your report residentx . Indeed, I'm still looking for a decent IHG property in Dubai. I'll give the Indigo a miss.

lost_in_translation I will check out your report on the CP Dubai Marina. It does look nice. Unfortunately for me, I'm an 'old Dubai' person who likes to walk around in Dubai all day long. It's quite a trek from Marina to Bur Dubai or Deira. However, if the hotel is nice enough then I'll definitely consider it.

My situation is that I have enough IHG points and a 'free night' to use up for a week's stay at a mid-priced hotel in Dubai. I'd rather not pay cash as times are hard! You are right about the hotels for other chains - they are on a different level to most IHG properties in Dubai.
I'm in a similar situation... where did you end up staying?
Old Oct 16, 2022, 3:45 pm

I stayed at the Indigo about half a year ago. Was a very pleasant stay. Nice hotel.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:10 pm

I've stayed a few times in recent weeks. Received a one-category upgrade as a Diamond, together with a decent breakfast with good barista coffee.

Hotel still feels new and fresh, and the larger rooms (I was typically given a Junior Suite by booking the category below) have a nice spacious feel to them - however, the standard rooms feel tight and awkwardly laid out, so I would avoid those.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.