Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
number of smith hotels - city

2 - Florence Italy

The discussion and posts prior to the integration and the hotels being bookable could be found in this thread. This thread is closed.
There is a thread particular in regard to Bali propeties as well; but there is also a general discussion.

Print Wikipost

Mr. and Mrs. Smith bookable via IHG / no longer bookable

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by happychic
Look at the number of properties in Greece, Italy, Spain, UK,
Before you get too excited I would also look at the number of points required for those properties for a free night. I saw all the properties in Greece and then when I saw 125k per night it quickly put a damper on my excitement. Nice having the added options but Marriott and Hyatt via (SLH) are still way better options.
happychic likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 9:17 am

It looks like a lot of properties are not bookable with points (no reward nights available), and for the ones that are available, the amount of required points is insane.
I am seeing rates like 180,000 points per night...seriously?
I was excited for this partnership initially, but now I totally lost interest.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yup, in several cases that I looked at the value for those redemptions is quite frankly terrible, often going down towards 0.3 cents/point even when using the inflated IHG rate for Mr & Mrs. Smith properties. If you then go an check the direct cash rates, the value equation takes a further "tumble". Unless you are sitting on millions and millions of points and want to burn them quickly at one of those aspirational properties, I can't see this making much sense in general. Of course, there may always be some deal here or there to be found, but that will require lots of checking and comparing back and forth.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
We're looking about right now for an April adventure (a milestone bday for her, so we have to do something), and we're prob doing house rental to keep as safe/distanced as possible, but looked on IHG and others real quick. I've got zero experience with the M&MS properties, but they popped up in a search around Morro Bay / SLO CA, and have points rates available that don't look too bad.

Flipping back and forth between cash, point, and the M&MS direct rate,though seems a bit of checking could result in dramatic price difference.

3 nights for 2 properties in Apr20:
Cambria Beach Lodge: IHG cash= $262/night +$10/night amenity fee, IHG points = 46,666/night (equiv $233) + $10/night amfee, M&MS direct book (cash) = $232/night
Hotel San Luis Obispo: IHG cash = $604/night + 7.75% 'service charge' so ~$650/night. IHG points =99,166/night (equiv $496) + service charge (how to calc?), M&MSdirect book = $482/night

That's some dramatic uplift between booking vehicles as much as 35% for the convenience of going thru IHG. What am I missing?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Choice Diamond
Originally Posted by KevinS
We're looking about right now for an April adventure (a milestone bday for her, so we have to do something), and we're prob doing house rental to keep as safe/distanced as possible, but looked on IHG and others real quick. I've got zero experience with the M&MS properties, but they popped up in a search around Morro Bay / SLO CA, and have points rates available that don't look too bad.

Flipping back and forth between cash, point, and the M&MS direct rate,though seems a bit of checking could result in dramatic price difference.

3 nights for 2 properties in Apr20:
Cambria Beach Lodge: IHG cash= $262/night +$10/night amenity fee, IHG points = 46,666/night (equiv $233) + $10/night amfee, M&MS direct book (cash) = $232/night
Hotel San Luis Obispo: IHG cash = $604/night + 7.75% 'service charge' so ~$650/night. IHG points =99,166/night (equiv $496) + service charge (how to calc?), M&MSdirect book = $482/night

That's some dramatic uplift between booking vehicles as much as 35% for the convenience of going thru IHG. What am I missing?
I think it's going to be situational, with short and long-term IHG plans tipping the balance, plus intangibles.. the most immediate things I can see are:
Spire Elite Upgrade & Privileges (if available) - quality and privilege of stay theoretically better.
Qualifying Spend and/or Qualifying Nights - maintaining or progressing through status and IHG promotions. Gaining IHG points and priority.

Some IHG members are getting milestone bonus 10k every 10 nights through 2021 on top of any other promotions. For these members, this is an additional perk. There are other intangibles - for example, I was just tossed 8000 "Goodwill Points" for being stuck on the phone with IHG ambassador line for an hour to sort out some payment issue.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
What a mess. These hotels keep showing up in the search but none of them ever have an available rate to book via ihg.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:50 am

Programs: Spire Ambassdor
Today Update!!!

Capella Ubud !!!

Old Aug 26, 2021, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I have booked my first stay at Mr and Mrs Smith through IHG.

Still, I am surprised to see prices differences on different sites.

Conclusion: IHG is the most expensive option.
Hope benefits would apply.

Lastminute.com

Property’s site

IHG

Mr and Ms Smith

Relais & Châteaux

Last edited by nicolas75; Aug 26, 2021 at 7:40 am
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yup, quite ridiculous most often. For cash makes no sense as the difference is quite significant usually.

For burning points there can be a case, but else I don't see it. YMMV.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I stayed at one of the Mr & Mrs Smith in a property that was also listed in another global chain. The restaurant was so good I enjoyed several meals there. To my great dismay no points for F&B whereas in the other chain (where I also have status) I would've received points. This is especially disgruntling as the F&B part were higher than the room charges. It wasn't the best introduction to this brand, for sure. Even the FDA said "we work more with ****...."
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ability to earn (miles) at more properties especially when expensive
re incidental spend, some property rates include everything

https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/cont...otel-directory
~400 hotels, some very expensive, many higher quality vs hyatt SLH

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 14, 2022 at 9:45 pm
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
~400 hotels, some very expensive, many higher quality vs hyatt SLH
Both of my stays at Mr and Mrs Smith properties were just great: superb properties with characters, exceptional service, quality of food offer.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...periences.html

Having the GoldSmith status as a Royal Ambassador is also definitely a plus (room upgrade subject to availability, Smith Extras is a complimentary add-on to your stay, which may be a welcome fruit platter, free breakfast, room upgrade or free set meals. GoldSmith members may qualify for better Smith Extras at certain properties).
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i'm familiar with reputations (including on flyertalk) of a number of very expensive properties on IHG smith list

very different from hyatt SLH, marriott designhotels, and any others i am forgetting

not sure whether there is any hope of seeing smith hotel partner brands such as Amanresorts in future

goldsmith is something smith hotels sells, does that status get royal ambassador status ?

many on FT focus on redeeming, but i was extremely surprised that addition of earning (long ago) at ritz carlton caused massive increase in bookings and attention on FT, although i don't know differentiation between earning and honoring of elite status benefits

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 16, 2022 at 1:01 pm
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
goldsmith is something smith hotels sells, does that status get royal ambassador status ?
GoldSmith members don’t get Royal Ambassador status (and not quite sure why they should, as it is by invitation only for most loyal guests staying at Six Senses, Regent, InterContinental and Kimpton hotels).

But Royal Ambassador members get GoldSmith status.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on the IHG smith list (~400 out of 1464) >

7 (out of 7) Resplendent Ceylon sri lanka - some property rates include everything
4 (2 safari) zannier (smith has their 5th, but not on IHG)
3 (1 safari) virgin limited edition in africa (smith has their kenya, but not on IHG)
3 (out of 3) robertson lodges new zealand - rates include meals, some rates include alcohol
3 eleven experience in north america - rates can include a lot
3 raas india (seems smith does not have their 4th)
2 La Réserve in europe
2 tierra in chile (smith has their 3rd but not on IHG) - rates include everything
2 inkaterra peru
1 vik uruguay
1 auberge resort in utah

2 in colorado owned by canyon equity, which owns the 2 US amanresorts and the Courchevel amanresort, and is / was building six senses costa rica

if smith has more of same brand, probably relatively likely most will get added in future

(six senses was also a great acquisition by IHG, regent also not bad depending on development)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 16, 2022 at 1:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.