Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Old Nov 22, 21, 5:21 pm

Programs: NZ
I'm seeing the IC Bali at 17-23K points for many dates next year. Cash rates are also quite low. Mind you, not much good if you can't get there!
Old Nov 23, 21, 10:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
The hotel I rebooked a couple of times at reduced rates has started creeping up again now.
Old Nov 27, 21, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Positive DP - HIE Springdale Zion in Dec, paid rate = $450, points = 13k. With 4th night free got it down to 10k.

There's something wrong with the paid rate though. Comparable hotels like Hampton Inn are $130 on the same dates. Even then, it's 1cpp before 4th night free. Sweet. Hilton wanted 34k for that Hampton Inn.
Old Dec 2, 21, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
You know, as incomprehensible as the award pricing model is, I'm finding similar head-scratchers on AA's web specials. Close-in (within 2 weeks) tickets cost $$$$, can get for 6.5k on Web Special. Cheap tickets far out, 20k. Different route, pattern reversed.

I'm starting to think the award price model is independent of the cash price model. The criteria may be the same or different as cash - capacity, demand, etc, but the rules are different. Maybe when cash is high and award low, there's actually little demand, and the award price (but not cash) reflects it.

Just guessing.
oxfordjames and EDB99 like this.
Old Mar 6, 22, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Just back from Turkey and there were major point bargains to be had. I got the Crowne Plaza Antalya for 6000 a night and the Holiday Inn Istanbul City (because it was near my dentist) for 8000 a night. But looking ahead to Sept the points jump back up again.
Old Mar 6, 22, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Just back from Turkey and there were major point bargains to be had. I got the .. the Holiday Inn Istanbul City (because it was near my dentist) for 8000 a night.
So it was bargain priced because your dentist has a really bad reputation?
Old May 4, 22, 9:06 am

Programs: Avios
Some really great points redemptions out there right now for Japan travel. I have booked the new Kimpton Shinjuku Tokyo at around 25k per night for a November fall trip. This used to be around 65-70k per night. The low prices even extend into next year Cherry Blossom March dates.. This is one case where dynamic pricing has certainly helped to lower points redemptions.
mster likes this.
Old May 4, 22, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007 View Post
Some really great points redemptions out there right now for Japan travel. I have booked the new Kimpton Shinjuku Tokyo at around 25k per night for a November fall trip. This used to be around 65-70k per night. The low prices even extend into next year Cherry Blossom March dates.. This is one case where dynamic pricing has certainly helped to lower points redemptions.
Is Japan fully open again? I'm a bit out of the loop on what the entry requirements are.
Old May 4, 22, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007 View Post
Might have to book some speculative Japan travel. Do you think there's a good chance they'll open back up for tourists by next March?
Old May 4, 22, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by mster View Post
Might have to book some speculative Japan travel. Do you think there's a good chance they'll open back up for tourists by next March?
No one knows for sure but I would say that Japan will open up sometime after the July elections. I would certainly book some specualative trips at these prices. I have two trips booked , One for Novemeber Kimpton Shinjuku in November for 4 days at 101k and 4 days Strings IC at 105K at end of March
Old May 4, 22, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by mster View Post
I would be shocked if they were not open 10 months from now. I would certainly book something if I was thinking of going. I have struggled to book Business class tickets with points fror next year March so people are definitely planning to travel.
Old May 4, 22, 11:46 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sandeep1 View Post
Is Japan fully open again? I'm a bit out of the loop on what the entry requirements are.
No tourists allowed in is the gist of it.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 6:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Silver, Marriott Platinum, TK Gold
Might want to check your future reservations - it seems like points booking for next year reverted to the standard rate of the hotel (i.e., no dynamic pricing at all, but constant cost per night). Not sure how long it is going to last, but rebooked several reservations and got almost 80,000 points back. I've seen it at after the first of the year.
mlqsko, ARR72 and Tilto007 like this.

Last edited by MD/DC Flyer; Aug 7, 22 at 6:38 am
Old Aug 7, 22, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Australia has gone weird - InterCon 35k all year, CP 25k in Sydney.
Old Aug 7, 22, 7:12 am

Almost all hotels in the Pacific region have really low prices. Japan is still insanely cheap,even during Cherry Blossom peak season ??

Search this Thread