Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Raffles
What we have seen from leaked IHG documents in the past is that hotels only have 2 options for reimbursement:

*agreed flat fee, can be as low as $25 for budget hotels, or
*average daily rate if occupancy hits 95%

The only logic would be to make redemptions at a particular hotel less attractive, the closer it gets to 95% overall occupancy. You can see how this would make a huge difference to IHG given that hitting the 95% level increases its rebate cost by literally 500%.

What makes little sense is that covid has been doing IHG's job for it, meaning few hotels are ever hitting 95% occupancy and even then they are doing so at a low ADR which keeps down the premium reimbursement.
I hear you Rob and would second your suspicion / hunch on this. From an IHG program perspective, it makes sense to steer needed points for a redemption booking into new, unknown heights irregardless of paid rates for properties that are reaching / breaching 95% of occupancy level for selected days (or at least are forecasted to exceed maybe) to 1) discourage further redemptions to avoid compensating the property at close to BAR or 2) if people still go ahead with reward booking at least collect more points for it to reduce IHG liabilities on their books.

In relation to this, my maybe not so eloquently made point was that IHGs explanation for the "masses" provided so far doesn't point into that direction and probably never will and seems to suggestthat points float dynamically in conjunction with prices which we can see is not really holding true.

So if a normal IHG member without industry background sees such wonky, at times inverse rate to points relationships he / she will not get it and walk away with the impression of getting screwed (figuratively speaking) - whether that impression is right or wrong won't matter.

Now of course, I don't expect IHG to share their secret sauce, but it doesn't take a PhD for many folks to figure out not all is as IHG seems to suggest. This erodes (in my book) the value proposition of what claims to be a rewards (not loyalty) program where folks hopefully know by now that benefits are mediocre (outside of RA) and the core value supposedly lies in rewards / redemptions that now become very unpredictable if there is not some sensible correlation between rate and points or dare I say a fixed pegged value. Not that I personally would be looking for a fixed value, but others may disagree.

Anyways, to me it seems there is still an opportunity for good value redemptions, but those will be harder to find and require more frequent monitoring and rebooking potentially. Definitely everyone should start booking rewards nights one night at a time as some of us have been advising for years. Maximum flexibility will be name of the game for anyone looking to optimize. A larger portion of the IHG Rewards member community may be turned off by such effort and the inherent unpredictability of what a future reward may cost in points. YMMV.
drod likes this.

Last edited by demue; Apr 6, 2021 at 10:05 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by jw461
I don't know if it was this way pre- or post- reward night increases, but with random searches, I'm finding many properties in desirable locations that are not necessarily expensive cash-rate, but they price at 40,500 or 40,750 points...basically it seems like they intentionally will not let you use your 40k certificates there ....
Oh, that is low, even for IHG. At least make it 41K or 42K, so as to be not so obvious. But I'm not surprised, as I've noticed similar work-arounds with hotels in other programs. Because awards are based on standard rooms, they've done things like make "higher floor" it's own upgraded room category. (Remember when the front desk used to just ask you if you preferred a high or low floor at checkin?). Then there's the "street view" upgraded room category I've seen pop up.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Oh, that is low, even for IHG. At least make it 41K or 42K, so as to be not so obvious. But I'm not surprised, as I've noticed similar work-arounds with hotels in other programs. Because awards are based on standard rooms, they've done things like make "higher floor" it's own upgraded room category. (Remember when the front desk used to just ask you if you preferred a high or low floor at checkin?). Then there's the "street view" upgraded room category I've seen pop up.
Oh yeah, there are hotels with only 3 floors and they mark the 2nd and 3rd floor as "higher floor" and a "premium category room"
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jw461
I don't know if it was this way pre- or post- reward night increases, but with random searches, I'm finding many properties in desirable locations that are not necessarily expensive cash-rate, but they price at 40,500 or 40,750 points...basically it seems like they intentionally will not let you use your 40k certificates there. I was already iffy on the IHG program, but I think it's likely that when I flush out the remainder of my points, I may be done with it. Unfortunately that probably won't happen this year.
Make sure that you price nights individually, since IHG only shows the average per night. For a 2 night stay, you might nave one at 38K and one at 43K, and it'll show as 40.5K per night. But you can still use the cert for the first night.

Which brings up another point - with so much variation, IHG now more than ever really needs a calendar that shows the points required for each day for a property.
Brendan, notquiteaff, drod and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by swag
Make sure that you price nights individually, since IHG only shows the average per night. For a 2 night stay, you might nave one at 38K and one at 43K, and it'll show as 40.5K per night. But you can still use the cert for the first night.

Which brings up another point - with so much variation, IHG now more than ever really needs a calendar that shows the points required for each day for a property.
That is not true, actually. If you continue through to the payment page, on the right it does in fact break down the redemption night by night. I used it last night to work around some really crazy reward prices. I put in multiweek reservations just to see what every night was priced at.

However, I agree 100% that IHG IT needs to introduce a calendar feature. The "hassle" factor is ridiculous with IHG.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Couple of thing:

- if award costs for a day now frequently change, I will book multi-day awards as consecutive one-day awards so that I can rebook individual days if the award cost drops for a particular day.

- just paid my $49 for the annual credit card fee (classic card). This might be my last year if I find that the 40k limit makes it even more difficult going forward to find a decent redemption.
Brendan, Boraxo and beltway like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For anyone looking for a nice, well written summary of the issues we are discussing here and what it means, I suggest to check out the two-part Heads for Points (HfP) article written by Raffles (Rob) who also chimed into our discussion here in this thread already.

It is a quality piece and well worth your time if this topic is important to you. You'll rarely see me mention a blog post ever, but with HfP you get none of the self promoting nonsense and just a fair analysis. YMMV.
notquiteaff and minz56 like this.

Last edited by demue; Apr 8, 2021 at 7:52 pm
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:12 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by demue
For anyone looking for a nice, well written summary of the issues we are discussing here and what it means I suggest to check out the two-part Heads for Points (HfP) article written by Raffles (Rob) who also chimed into our discussion here in this thread already.

It is a quality piece and we'll worth your time if this topic is important to you. You'll rarely will see me mention a blog post ever, but with HfP you get none of the self promoting nonsense and just a fair analysis. YMMV.
Yes, a great analysis. I think he nailed it when he says:

Why has IHG done this?
No idea.
I would also have liked to have seen an analysis over a few consecutive days as the frustrating thing for many is that Monday might be 25,000 points, Tuesday 58,000 and Wednesday 40,000, while the cash rate is the same for all three.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Disappointed, the hotel I was looking at is now exactly 30% more in points.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jn in ca
That is not true, actually. If you continue through to the payment page, on the right it does in fact break down the redemption night by night. I used it last night to work around some really crazy reward prices. I put in multiweek reservations just to see what every night was priced at.
I think this only works if you have enough points to cover the entire stay, though.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by minz56
I would also have liked to have seen an analysis over a few consecutive days as the frustrating thing for many is that Monday might be 25,000 points, Tuesday 58,000 and Wednesday 40,000, while the cash rate is the same for all three.
Doing this tomorrow.

Makes no sense that way either. You have the same hotel running from 24k to 67k over a single month, and whilst cash rates move about too (but not as much) there is no correlation. The most expensive cash day is actually one of the cheapest points days.
minz56 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I think this only works if you have enough points to cover the entire stay, though.
No need to have enough points to see the breakdown, but only if reward night is available in every single night in the period selected.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:51 am

A couple of further observations:

1) As @demue recently remarked in the free-night-cert thread, the wisest course going forward for multi-night stays is to book them one night at a time:

Originally Posted by demue
Exactly, it is definitely more unpredictable as points rates can flex up and down and the previous thresholds per chain (e.g. 70K for ICs, etc.) don't seem to mean much any longer. [...]

Vice versa, you'll have to make speculative bookings (one night at a time I recommend) for cert usage where your desired property fits within the cap. When things change you can always switch to a cash rate or use points if redemption rates go down a lot below the max cap of the cert, but you lock in the cert nights first. You get the idea.

Certainly more work one way or another, also in case that what you want to use the cert for is above the cap today. It may drop below the the certs max points threshold tomorrow, so you need to keep checking as you never know when it may be available / bookable. YMMV.
2) The necessity of doing so substantially undermines the usefulness of the Chase Premier & Traveler cards’ fourth-night-free benefit. There may be cases where you can advantageously book a single last-minute stay of 4+ nights & cancel the string of one-nighters, but a) that’s a PITA and b) there’s no guarantee the close-in rates will make this worthwhile.

In conclusion, ugh.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
IMHO it Looks like IHG is forcing all $49 cards to upgrade or cancel or less options for redemptions. They making redeeming free night harder. Im thinking of just transferring to the airline and calling it quits with IHG. Focus on Hyatt and Hilton, maybe bonvoy to get to plat every year.

https://monkeymiles.boardingarea.com...m=BoardingArea

Last edited by JfromTheBay; Apr 8, 2021 at 3:44 pm
Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Looks like IHG is forcing all $49 cards to upgrade or cancel. They making redeeming free night harder. Im thinking of just transferring to the airline and calling it quits with IHG. Focus on Hyatt and Hilton, maybe bonvoy to get to plat every year.

https://monkeymiles.boardingarea.com...m=BoardingArea
Where do you see that they're forcing card upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.