Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
12/17/21 - separate thread discussing the already-extended certificates expiring 12/31/2021: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2054777-will-ihg-extend-expiration-certificates-set-expire-12-31-21-a-6.html
12/16 Updated today: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update/
12/15 People are seeing a new certificate posted with expiration of 8/31/2021
12/8 Doctor of Credit: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-ihg-to-extend-free-night-certificates-until-august-2021/
12/8 The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update
12/3 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/12/03/opinion-ihg-is-really-shortsighted-for-not-extending-expiring-certificates
11/18 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/11/18/...g-certificates

IHG Executive Contact Information for those who want to escalate:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:48 pm

Mine expires next week and I have a stay booked for this weekend but don't want to go now. I called and the lady put a ticket in for me and said she would let me know before my arrival date. This kind of sucks, but yeah i get it cause mine is uncapped as well. I was hoping for some consolation points instead since they probably cant extend it. I may just call back and ask for that...
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Isn't IHG still letting you use your certificate as long as you book it by the expiration date, even though the booking itself is after the expiration date?
No, unfortunately that ended a while ago. You must stay by the expiration date now.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by tercader
No, unfortunately that ended a while ago. You must stay by the expiration date now.
Expiration date plus 9 days.
ncSam likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mathprof
Just emailed IHG for a very expiring March 26. Actually had a reservation in Anaheim on the evening of the expiration date but Disneyland is closed so canceled the visit and reservation. Will see report back when I get a response.
Can you share the email address?

All I can find is an online form, and the only subj applicable, (not asking you for a specific booking / hotel) is for "General Comment". Nonetheless I sent in a "comment" regardless.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Can you share the email address?

All I can find is an online form, and the only subj applicable, (not asking you for a specific booking / hotel) is for "General Comment". Nonetheless I sent in a "comment" regardless.
I emailed this address: [email protected]
Have not heard back from them unfortunately
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:39 pm

Mine expiring this Sunday. Anyone can share a email address?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Don't expect anything. This is the chain that doesn't honor a reservation if the hotel leaves the chain, something their competitors routinely do (honor). Pointing this out to the call center did nothing.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by italdesign
This is the chain that doesn't honor a reservation if the hotel leaves the chain, something their competitors routinely do (honor).
When 48Lex left Hyatt, my reservation was canceled.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:30 am

I just spoke to a very helpful agent. The reason we are not getting responses is because they were informed two days ago that the Rewards Club team is under quarantine. There were some steps involved for canceling Chase certificates and extending certificates and the agents were advised to direct the member to the Rewards Club but now that they can not be reached the agents have no idea what to do. So if you have a reservation and expiring certificate you may want to call or email and get a case opened for you so you're on record. The hotel I reserved at this weekend informed me the city is almost shutdown and no dining in at restaurants and limited carry-out locations and the hotel itself only has 2-hr blocks of room service for each meal. So I will be canceling my reservations and hoping IHG can do something once they are free.

Also, I did ask the question why the team is not working from home like everyone else in quarantine but she didn't know. Seems odd that management puts out the notice of reservations a week ago then goes dark and nothing about certificates.
lmwong1977 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
My certificate expired last Sunday. I had a reservation to use it but had to cancel with all the shutdowns of events, etc. I contacted ihg and hopefully they really take care of everybody but just concerned because now that certificate has disappeared from my account.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I have an uncapped cert expiring Apr 1st. Had a reservation at the Kimpton Buchanan in SF on Apr 4th but had to cancel that since everything around there will be shut down. Now I'm going to burn my cert at a cheap Holiday Inn Express tomorrow night when I go to pick up my daughter from her college. It'd be nice to know if they will extend the validity of the cert as I'd certainly pay cash for this one night instead of burning this valuable certificate.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Carter29072
My certificate expired last Sunday. I had a reservation to use it but had to cancel with all the shutdowns of events, etc. I contacted ihg and hopefully they really take care of everybody but just concerned because now that certificate has disappeared from my account.
Anyone have an email re the certs - so I can go on record as wanting it re-established too?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Anyone have an email re the certs - so I can go on record as wanting it re-established too?
Just use the app to send an email or call the reservation line to have them open a case for you.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called this morning. Agent did not tell me the "story" of reward club team being quarantined (crap). He just said the management has started looking at the situation and tried to formulate a plan (very late at this stage!). He said everyone has FN expiring should call to open a case which will then be sent to the management team tasked this. New policy most likely will be notified by email or phone call once it is in place. But the management team needs to first compile the list first. (can't they do a computer sweep like Marriott and Hilton do it?)

In any case, the phone line is not that busy other than the very annoying robot insisting you tell "her" something "she could help" - you needed to get thru the first round (just say account issue), then on the second round, kept punching zero and the robot would eventually broke, then transferred you. I got an agent based at Utah. He again, did not tell the "story", simply said they were waiting for further instruction while meanwhile they opened cases on each caller with expiring cert. He said yesterday a caller had 3 expiring FN certs in his account. Towards the end of the call, the agent even dared to pitch the IHG premium card! Sheesh!

Therefore, everyone who is affected and not call yet, PLEASE call BEFORE your cert expires. Meanwhile take screen shot of the darn cert as it will fall out from your account once expired. I am certain they would not come up with a policy and implement it before end of March. The current "talk" is they will extend certs expiring thru Apr 30, to Summer months... Meanwhile Marriott is to Jan 2021 and Hilton is to Aug 2021. Pathetic IHG.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osugrad2x
Just use the app to send an email or call the reservation line to have them open a case for you.
I would suggest calling. I have sent email 2 days ago and have not received any acknowledgement.

The phone line is not that busy probably most people have given up on IHG would do anything to help.

UPDATE
Mine is extended to Sept 26. Was expiring on Mar 26.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 20, 2020 at 7:14 pm Reason: Update

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.