Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
12/17/21 - separate thread discussing the already-extended certificates expiring 12/31/2021: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2054777-will-ihg-extend-expiration-certificates-set-expire-12-31-21-a-6.html
12/16 Updated today: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update/
12/15 People are seeing a new certificate posted with expiration of 8/31/2021
12/8 Doctor of Credit: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-ihg-to-extend-free-night-certificates-until-august-2021/
12/8 The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update
12/3 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/12/03/opinion-ihg-is-really-shortsighted-for-not-extending-expiring-certificates
11/18 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/11/18/...g-certificates

IHG Executive Contact Information for those who want to escalate:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by serpens
For once, I'm the lucky one. I have a new Select cert and a new Premier cert, with the expiration date on each at the end of next August (as reported above). The T&C say they are all capped at 40,000 points, so I'm not fully lucky.

For those who plan to burn a certificate expiring at the end of this month, it was reported (months ago) that an award reservation uses the certificate with the most distant expiration date first. In other words, a reservation for ten days from now will use a certificate expiring late next year if it's available, leaving a cert that expires this month untouched. Can anyone confirm that this is still true?
That happened to me 2 weeks ago.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by christianj
I’m sorry but I have to say that I find some of the recent posts here sickening! We all complained that we couldn’t use the certificates by years end and how crappy it was of IHG to not extend them. Now IHG extends them but doesn’t remove the old certificates and it took literally 5 seconds for someone to see if they game the system and say they were going to book a stay now to use the OLD certificates since they were still in their account. Come on people! We don’t have to wonder why companies devalue everything do we? It’s because someone always has to game the system. Instead of being happy we have another 8 months to use the certificate some people want to squeeze two free nights out after IHG does the right thing. We won’t have to wonder when the next time IHG makes a decision that’s to THEIR benefit or when they lower the Certs to being able to book 20k free night hotels in the future.
I don't feel bad. I hope more people find a way to use the night that expires on 12/31/20 after the way IHG drew this out.
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I doubt it, but I am in a similar situation and decided to book a local hotel tomorrow for fun. Because the 12/31/20 certificate expired first, that's the one that was used. I have 2 remaining. 1 that expires 8/31/21 and another that expires in 2022. I'll let you know what happens.

I agree. I had 3 certificates and wanted to book a night. The system used the one expiring first and told me I had 2 certificates remaining.

IHGs IT department is weird. They drag their feet and then give everyone an extra certificate instead of extending the old one. I guess I can't complain.
You're brave. I'd be afraid that they will end up voiding one of other nights at some point.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by todderz
IHG have themselves been telling people on twitter ... that both certificates can be used
I checked the tweets and replies of the 4 IHG-run twitter accounts that I know of and I couldn't find this offhand. Where on twitter did they say this?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am very risk averse and feel I have to do my part to help reduce the collective risk of COVID so there is no way I will try to use the 12/31 certificate even if I would lose it.

Even if I could, I don't think I should since IHG is doing us a favor by extending the certificate. I personally don't think it is right for us to "double dip" in this situation. I mean we FTers want to take advantage of offers, etc. but this to me crosses the line.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by idjfciojdfico
I fell into that category. I had the $49 a year one and canceled almost 2 weeks ago because at the time they weren't extending it. I still had an extra night show up.
I think Chase gives you 30 days to undo a cancelation if you change your mind, Even with a cap of 40,000 points, the $49 Select card is still a keeper IMO.

I don't feel bad. I hope more people find a way to use the night that expires on 12/31/20 after the way IHG drew this out.
I wasn't able to find anything on IHGs Twitter feed, but The Points Guy is usually pretty reliable and also said IHG confirmed they are OK with using both certificates.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update/

You're brave. I'd be afraid that they will end up voiding one of other nights at some point.
If they do, I'll be mildly annoyed, but I have certificates with other programs that have also been extended and are more valuable than those from IHG. I am hoping travel gets back to normal the 2nd half of 2021 so I can start using them for actual travel.
launcher likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 3:43 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Fellow flyertalkers, I know we all have different opinions how to deal with the current situation aound Covid19, the travel restrictions and how to deal with it. And I know, that not everybody is happy about how the hotels and airlines deal with it.

It is this place, to discuss the later. It is not the place, to discuss that you are not agreeing with the opinion of other members posting in this thread. Please take into account, that we all live in different places, which are more or less affected by Covid19. And thus leads to different thinkings. Some of us are not even allowed to do non-business trips, while others have less restrictions. This means, that we have not all the same point of view. A reason exaggerated in one coutnry might be not even be sufficient in another country. And thus lead to different opinions if one should or could travel and one could or should use a free night.

In so far, we have deleted a couple of posts which were more personal and so much on the main topic of this thread, which is the annual free night.

Thank you for your understanding.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
beltway and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Just last week I burned my free night (Premier card) since there was no indication of any extensions. Nothing like waiting until the very last minute to take any actions. At least now I have two going forward, since my anniversary date was just a few days ago!
Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So CC folks seem to be taken care of largely. Nice.

Still waiting for that official announcement by IHG though and keen to learn if there will be anything in the cards for Ambassador Free Night certificates as those have been ignored so far in this latest round of "generosity" displayed by IHG (which does feels like it was reluctantly done and their hand was forced ultimately). YMMV.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
We went ahead and booked this years expiring certificate as well, even seeing the extra extension in my account. Call it what you want but IHG gave no indication that they were going to extend so we made plans to use it anyway, it jus tso happens they decided to announce that they were extending a couple days before our night we were going to use it, so yeah ill take the extra free night. My mom technically has one that probably will not be used.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:29 pm

This is what my account shows for anniversary nights:

Book 1 between
12/08/2019 - 12/31/2020

Book 1 between
04/02/2020 - 08/31/2021

Book 1 between
12/05/2020 - 06/13/2022
Let's say I book a free night for December 27, 2020.
Which of the 3 free nights will they use? All of them are valid for that date. I'd hope they use the one that expires on 12/31/2020.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy
This is what my account shows for anniversary nights:

Which of the 3 free nights will they use? All of them are valid for that date. I'd hope they use the one that expires on 12/31/2020.
The system should use the one expiring 12/31/20, but I would logout, log back in, and recheck your remaining certificates immediately after you make the reservation. Good Luck.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Which of the 3 free nights will they use?
I have seen reports both ways and have no personal experience. If you do it, please report.

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
The system should use the one expiring 12/31/20, but I would logout, log back in, and recheck your remaining certificates immediately after you make the reservation.
I agree about what the system should do, and absolutely would follow the advice about checking.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:51 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Did use the expiring one a couple days ago. No problems occured, and the new one is still intact.
FWIW, the hotel invoice bizarrely showed CAD$46 but it did not cost me anything. Must have been what they'll charge IHG/ Chase.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by YUL
Did use the expiring one a couple days ago. No problems occured, and the new one is still intact.
FWIW, the hotel invoice bizarrely showed CAD$46 but it did not cost me anything. Must have been what they'll charge IHG/ Chase.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will be using one at the local Regent tomorrow.

For those wondering, the system did deduct the certificate expiring Dec 31, 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.