Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: New / Changed rules for Royal Ambassador Status / Requalifcation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status
Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

(Royal) Ambassador Programm
The impact on Royal Ambassador is not quite clear now. We know about the following extension:
Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months). This is discussed here
Royal Ambassador: reviewed on an ongoings base (not quite clear what this means in regad to spend). This could be discussed in thread.

Links to discussion regarding cancelatios of bookings
For discussion on cancelations of stays (general bookings) see here.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see here.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: New / Changed rules for Royal Ambassador Status / Requalifcation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
I guess I am RA till 2022, but I already have 102 stays so I guess I get "Spire Elite" which is useless. I am not very good at following the program and I have no way to actually calculate how much money I spent. But I am very pleased I am RA till 2022!
I suspect I must be on year 15 of RA, not bad. These days I clearly qualify since the Bonvoy Program is such crap.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by tshirt
I guess I am RA till 2022, but I already have 102 stays so I guess I get "Spire Elite" which is useless. I am not very good at following the program and I have no way to actually calculate how much money I spent. But I am very pleased I am RA till 2022!
I suspect I must be on year 15 of RA, not bad. These days I clearly qualify since the Bonvoy Program is such crap.
Yeah except with Bonvoy, you'd have had lifetime Titanium by now and wouldn't have had to worry about any more requalifications, where with Royal Ambassador, it's literally a Christmas miracle every year
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
here with Royal Ambassador, it's literally a Christmas miracle every year
This year, Christmas does come very early and with a nice present. :P
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by hclee01
This year, Christmas does come very early and with a nice present. :P
Well no, it just got kicked down the road by a year
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Got the email as well . Very classy of IHG and will definitely keep me loyal when we can travel . Well done IHG and Thank You
Originally Posted by ILS2
That was a very nice, and by IHG standards; a fairly unexpected, surprise.
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes and the email also says we will get another free night in 2021.
Originally Posted by ninjalad
I just got the same , another free night and a BOGO, very nice of them. Only issue now is I have a free night and two BOGOs to use hope I am allowed to stay somewhere before too long .
dont make the mistake of believing IHG execs were customer-centric in their recent decisions. their changes came dead last obviously after pressure by watching all their competitors show their hand. IHG had no choice. they just didnt want to look stupid like UA, changing their policy every day backtracking. their first attempt via reduction in EQN showed their true intent (little baby test). real credit goes to HH for taking the lead.

not only that, spire and RA got extended until jan 2022, but AMB gets only 3 months? haha. damn hilarious. its clear IHG was trying to bonvoy everyone, but had to change their minds or get UA backlash. i expect AMB to also get jan 2022.

btw, has anyone received another set of spire 25k choice bonus pts after their spire/AMB/RA extn to 2022? or is that supposed to come in 2021? i forgot when the choice benefit gets loaded into the account after requalification. sounds like you guys already got the free night certs loaded or not yet?
Tim O'Brien likes this.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 24, 2020 at 4:52 am
Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
No free night and Amb Weekend Cert no loaded yet, for me they can wait until next year as have enough to use up for now. Not sure when Spire choices will come through either. Knowing that is is coming is fine
Tim O'Brien and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
Just got the email from IC Ambassador stating Royal Ambassador status extended through January 2022
and that's the decent thing to do....
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
dont make the mistake of believing IHG execs were customer-centric in their recent decisions. their changes came dead last obviously after pressure by watching all their competitors show their hand. IHG had no choice. they just didnt want to look stupid like UA, changing their policy every day backtracking. their first attempt via reduction in EQN showed their true intent (little baby test). real credit goes to HH for taking the lead.

not only that, spire and RA got extended until jan 2022, but AMB gets only 3 months? haha. damn hilarious. its clear IHG was trying to bonvoy everyone, but had to change their minds or get UA backlash. i expect AMB to also get jan 2022.

btw, has anyone received another set of spire 25k choice bonus pts after their spire/AMB/RA extn to 2022? or is that supposed to come in 2021? i forgot when the choice benefit gets loaded into the account after requalification. sounds like you guys already got the free night certs loaded or not yet?

i got Spire choice Feb 13
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:05 pm

No free night and Amb Weekend Cert no loaded yet, for me they can wait until next year as have enough to use up for now. Not sure when Spire choices will come through either. Knowing that is is coming is fine
me neither, no email....
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:40 am

appreciate the input. nothing for me either. expired AMB weekend cert not reloaded (extn would make it valid again) and newer weekend cert not extended by 3 months yet. but CC cert was extended until dec 2020. i guess its a waiting game now.

knowing is fine for me too, but i just hate following up later. i already have enough stupid calendar reminders for checking hotel crap. too many bonvoy related. however, nobody plays the shady follow-up games like the airlines. they take all my time.

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
i got Spire choice Feb 13
thank you for the info. sounds like IHG got wise and rewarded you RA again? so that means you werent on the 2/13 spire "glitch list" since you were legit spire?
https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/02/18/...tched-accounts

either way, im concerned that anyone who already requalified for spire in 2020 + getting the RA/IC renewal or extension would only get the 25k bonus once in 2020. either through the "hard way" or through the Jan 2022 extension. in order to get another spire choice benefit, you would have to requal next year in 2021. so it sucks for those who stayed enough for spire during early 2020 only to be extended until Jan 2022 without effort + they already got the spire choice benefit. not sure if my interpretation is accurate.

Originally Posted by HadesNL
so the recap of RA qualification factors could be
Major
- spend at IC + Regent + Kimpton
- amount of IC
- different IC
- member location
- member recurring guest at same IC
- average room rate
Minor
- creditcard of IHG
- stay profile booking under business or leisure
- corporate rates
- room types
- celebrity or personality or title / IHG customer profiling and annotations
- advanced purchases of future stay
(... this part is in the regular New RA qualifying critera ... thread ...)
Tim O'Brien likes this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 27, 2020 at 4:20 am Reason: copied to regular thread and adjusted
Old Apr 25, 2020, 11:31 am

Do you mind me asking who did you email as customer service is not that good at the moment....I have been a RA for 6 years straight and they have not extended mine yet....
They tell me the site says only for tiers even though it clearly states all status...
http://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cus...ravel-advisory
"All members’ program status will be automatically extended through January 2022, allowing members to enjoy all the benefits of the status they earned during 2019."RA is a status....

I know it says weeks but the phone people seem clueless and are like no its not going to happen....

As multiple RA on here have been extended can you let me know who the correct people to email to get this done is...

Appreciate any help

Thank you
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
i was under the impression that since the kimp merger, being IC would significantly influence RA requal. no?
IC required something like 45 nights at different properties which easily total over $10k USD. then pair that with similar RA stats would surely get you RA requal with over $20k USD total spend between two brands. but ive seen too many DP of only heavy IC spend with no RA requal. makes no sense.
i'll answer your query in the correct thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...c-revenue.html

maybe FLYGVA can move over to the right thread?, thks
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:21 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
i'll answer your query in the correct thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...c-revenue.html

maybe FLYGVA can move over to the right thread?, thks
I copied the thread to the thread and adjusted it here and there
FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Tim O'Brien and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by indogap
Do you mind me asking who did you email as customer service is not that good at the moment....I have been a RA for 6 years straight and they have not extended mine yet....
They tell me the site says only for tiers even though it clearly states all status...
http://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cus...ravel-advisory
"All members’ program status will be automatically extended through January 2022, allowing members to enjoy all the benefits of the status they earned during 2019."RA is a status....

I know it says weeks but the phone people seem clueless and are like no its not going to happen....

As multiple RA on here have been extended can you let me know who the correct people to email to get this done is...

Appreciate any help

Thank you
you can email: [email protected], and tell them you've been given contrary advice, and include the URL, and ask them to remedy.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
I have lifetime titanium elite

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yeah except with Bonvoy, you'd have had lifetime Titanium by now and wouldn't have had to worry about any more requalifications, where with Royal Ambassador, it's literally a Christmas miracle every year
Yah I have lifetime titanium elite, however its such a hassle knowing if I get free breakfast anymore, so if I'm not staying in a SPG I wont book a Marriott hotel. I cant stand all the crazy rules that don't give you free Breakfast.

So last year I ended up staying at IC a LOT more, chuckle even Holiday Inns, and reality, I only stayed at airport holiday inns before Marriott took over, and made me move more stays to IHG. I stay in hotels around 200 nights a year until the pandemic so it was easy to get status in both programs.
Tim O'Brien likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.