Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: New / Changed rules for Royal Ambassador Status / Requalifcation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status
Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

(Royal) Ambassador Programm
The impact on Royal Ambassador is not quite clear now. We know about the following extension:
Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months). This is discussed here
Royal Ambassador: reviewed on an ongoings base (not quite clear what this means in regad to spend). This could be discussed in thread.

Links to discussion regarding cancelatios of bookings
For discussion on cancelations of stays (general bookings) see here.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see here.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: New / Changed rules for Royal Ambassador Status / Requalifcation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by scubaccr
I am sure IHG Salt Lake will be quite aware that if an existing high spending multi-year RA loses RA through covid, they may well (probably) not book IC's without the status, and once gone won't be back. IHG will need to recognise us multiyear RAs and keep us somehow or risk losing us forever.
The evidence doesn't support your view. I was RA from Six Continents days, yet got booted out after a year with 100+ paid IC nights. And I'm not the only one.

Of course I shifted almost all my business across to other chains, as I'm sure many others did. Limping on as Ambassadors, hoping for the occasional free breakfast, really isn't an attractive option. In my case the cost to IHG brand hotels is easily $15K a year. A drop in the ocean for IHG, but those drops add up, and the cost for individual hotels could be significant.

But still the cull of RA's continues, while the benefits get stripped away.
Tim O'Brien and 336 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I hope they consider carefully what has been going on as they cancelled 31 nights on me so far not the other way around, I have a fairly set travel pattern each year which only slightly changes by the odd few days so yes some will have had the first 10 weeks of this year but that does not apply to all, I think my next 18 nights will most likely be cancelled as well so that will leave around 40 nights towards the end of the year to re-qualify if they are still monitoring spend with a target in mind.

I want to be loyal but there are none I can stay at currently even for a weekend break as they are closed where I could access without crossing borders.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
So it's not as simple as saying "there's still lots of time in the year left" - aside from folks who spend $10K of their own money, I will venture a guess that many RAs are corporate travellers, and those will be heavily affected for the entirety of the year, imho. Whether they are worth retaining as customers or not is a question that IHG would need to answer, and I would be quite surprised if one were to argue that they aren't, just because their travel budgets for the year have disappeared.
Of those corporate travelers who actually NEED to travel, they will continue to travel as businesses open up later this year. Of those corporate travelers whose travel can be replaced by teleconference, those will probably not travel this year or for the next couple of years. A good many large conferences and trade shows may not happen next year as well. We saw after 9/11 it took a couple of years for corporate travel to rebound. I recall business class cabins on long haul were about 3/4 full but medium haul there was very little business class travel. So if IHG takes that into account they should stick to their 1% calculations. And maybe be generous to some borderline cases.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't think it should be a blanket requal. They should just do the top 1% as the program suggests. If the top 1% means $5K, then it is $5K. Or if the calculations come to $7K then it is $7K. Giving away RA to people who don't earn it cheapens the program. But rewarding people who are loyal even in difficult times really means something.
i don't disagree, but i don't think the "Top 1%" has never been anything but a marketing phrase.

and could IHG IT actually calculate it?
IAN-UK and 336 like this.

Last edited by Tim O'Brien; Apr 16, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
RA Extended through Jan 2022

Just got the email from IC Ambassador stating Royal Ambassador status extended through January 2022
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
I just got a great email from the ceo saying that my RA is extended to Jan 2022 with the free night and stuff in 2021 as well. I wonder if it is for all? I had spent about £10k up to the end of March when it all stopped
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
Just got the email from IC Ambassador stating Royal Ambassador status extended through January 2022
+1
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
+2 and 3 in the family!
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:32 pm

Got the email as well . Very classy of IHG and will definitely keep me loyal when we can travel . Well done IHG and Thank You
Tim O'Brien and VaBeachGirl like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
That was a very nice, and by IHG standards; a fairly unexpected, surprise.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes and the email also says we will get another free night in 2021.

Oooh. I just noticed this line item in my account. I didn't get this before. Maybe I will try out a Kimpton later this year.

04/23/2020 Upgrade to Inner Circle
Tim O'Brien likes this.

Last edited by stimpy; Apr 23, 2020 at 4:21 pm
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I just got the same , another free night and a BOGO, very nice of them. Only issue now is I have a free night and two BOGOs to use hope I am allowed to stay somewhere before too long .
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Great news, can't wait to get back out there
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I think we all got it
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
You win. You win. And you win. EVERYONE WINS!!! (for once, with IHG)
Tim O'Brien likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.