Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blindman
UPDATE - 23rd April 2020

Status will be extended through to January 2022 (please wait for it to reflect in accounts. IHG say this will happen 'in the coming weeks'

Spire members will receive another choice benefit

See this post for links to IHG page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32317728-post77.html

12th March 2020 Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status

Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

Please note, that IHG also mentions, that it may take up to 4 weeks until the updated information is available in the account overview.

Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months)
Royal Ambassador: will be extended through January 2022. The thread about this is here

For discussion of an extension of the Ambassador free night certificate see this thread.

For discussion on cancellations of stays (general bookings) see this thread.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see this thread.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:55 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Booked and consumed within the certificates validity.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I called IHG RC and the Spire rep told me the new choice benefit will only be deposited to my account in early Jan. 2021. I haven't used the one I received almost a year ago, and that one's expiry date has been moved to 31DEC2021. She said that if I don't redeem the current one I have, I will have 2 choice benefits by early Jan. 2021. Does that sound right to everyone, or did I have a confused rep? I wanted to ask because it seems to take her a long time to give me the answer.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Don’t Trust Anything a CSR Says on the Phone or Email

My Ambassador was set to expire Nov. 1. Called to ask for an extension. Put on hold, answer was we’ll extend it for 2 months, Jan. 1, 2021. I asked about the unused weekend cert—she replied very confidently that it would be extended to Jan. 1 as well. I asked are you sure? She said I’ll extend your Ambassador right now. I checked while on the phone with her. Cert showed previous expiration date. When I pointed that out, she replied “it takes a few days for that to update”. Well, of course, I was pretty sure that wasn’t going to happen.

Could have used it now, however, no surprise showing expired when I went to book. I wrote to say their rep emphatically told me it would be extended. IHG answer was what angered me the most. Was told I misunderstood, which was really insulting. Would have appreciated a sorry what our rep told you was wrong. When a mistake is made, an honest apology is better than denial.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Steph58
My Ambassador was set to expire Nov. 1. Called to ask for an extension. Put on hold, answer was we’ll extend it for 2 months, Jan. 1, 2021. I asked about the unused weekend cert—she replied very confidently that it would be extended to Jan. 1 as well. I asked are you sure? She said I’ll extend your Ambassador right now. I checked while on the phone with her. Cert showed previous expiration date. When I pointed that out, she replied “it takes a few days for that to update”. Well, of course, I was pretty sure that wasn’t going to happen.

Could have used it now, however, no surprise showing expired when I went to book. I wrote to say their rep emphatically told me it would be extended. IHG answer was what angered me the most. Was told I misunderstood, which was really insulting. Would have appreciated a sorry what our rep told you was wrong. When a mistake is made, an honest apology is better than denial.
Thanks and sorry to hear that. Wondering if anyone else have the same understanding regarding spire choice benefit.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:49 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Anybody have an understanding of when we’ll be able to select our Choice Benefit that was triggered by the automatic Spire renewal?
Old Jan 30, 2021, 6:19 am

My current Ambassador membership expires 2/1/21. It had already been proactively extended by IHG at some point in 2020; I do not recall for how long. In addition, I barely had any IHG nights in 2019 as the property I normally stayed for many nights annually was rebranded to a Hilton property. Frankly the only reason that I have purchased the Ambassador membership in the past was for the great upgrades at the Willard Intercontinental!

I took a chance this past week and called the Ambassador number to find out if additional extensions were available, with the expectation that the answer would be 'no', especially with no business during 2019/2020. She had me confirm that COVID was the reason I was not traveling. I explained that I have an international trip planned in May and I am considering several IC properties (legit - there are some great properties with either low prices and/or points redemptions and I figure I can splurge a bit).

She advised that she could extend me to 4/1/21. I thanked her and told her that it would not do me any good and I didn't want to waste anyone's time. She said 'let me check something, may I place you on hold?'. She was away for about five minutes and came back and told me that she could grant a 'once in a lifetime six month extension due to extenuating circumstances'. My Ambassador now expires 8/1/21 and I verified as such. (This included my BOGO also; although I've never found it to be a great deal in the US at least.)

While her manager was processing the approval, we had a pleasant conversation about COVID and travel. She was Manila-based and one of the few working in the office while many of her colleagues were still working at home. She is looking forward to receiving the vaccination.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lamphs
She advised that she could extend me to 4/1/21. I thanked her and told her that it would not do me any good and I didn't want to waste anyone's time. She said 'let me check something, may I place you on hold?'. She was away for about five minutes and came back and told me that she could grant a 'once in a lifetime six month extension due to extenuating circumstances'. My Ambassador now expires 8/1/21 and I verified as such. (This included my BOGO also; although I've never found it to be a great deal in the US at least.)
A one-off two month extension is available to anyone. For anyone that has been a member for more than two years, there is a once in a lifetime six month extension. These are standard parts of the program, and there is a good chance lots of people are doing this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Does your BOGO show that's it's been extended? I was told the same thing except my one-time exception was 2 months (which I now have learned is wrong per T&Cs and reading what others have received, I've been an Ambassador much longer than 2 years). But my BOGO did expire a few weeks later on the original date, Nov 2020. When I wrote to ask what happened to the BOGO extension, they told me I misunderstand--no extensions for the BOGO cert. I wrote back disputing that--no response ever received. I don't think anyone here has posted that they got it extended.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by perthite
A one-off two month extension is available to anyone. For anyone that has been a member for more than two years, there is a once in a lifetime six month extension. These are standard parts of the program, and there is a good chance lots of people are doing this.
I understand that, but in my case, it was already proactively extended by IHG. I do not know exactly when my "real" membership expired; sometime in 2020. Looking at my account activity, I have an zero point "Ambassador Renewal" in both April and May 2020. This was not at my request. My point of the original post was that it was worth my time to ask for an additional extension, not expecting anything, because the membership had already been extended proactively at least six months by IHG.

Originally Posted by Steph58
Does your BOGO show that's it's been extended? I was told the same thing except my one-time exception was 2 months (which I now have learned is wrong per T&Cs and reading what others have received, I've been an Ambassador much longer than 2 years). But my BOGO did expire a few weeks later on the original date, Nov 2020. When I wrote to ask what happened to the BOGO extension, they told me I misunderstand--no extensions for the BOGO cert. I wrote back disputing that--no response ever received. I don't think anyone here has posted that they got it extended.
Yes, my BOGO was also extended by six months. My account has the BOGO expiring 2/1/21 marked as 'redeemed' and the new BOGO, expiring 8/1/21, immediately appeared without my logging off/on again. And I double checked it a day later.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The fact that your Bogo got extended as well together with the once a lifetime 6 months extension is not the norm and you should be very happy about that. We did the same and the BOGO was left to expire and only AMB status was extended. Hence my view that IHG handled this entire AMB extensions terribly and apparently even arbitrarily. YMMV.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
Has anyone received their “early January” Spire Elite Choice benefits yet for status earned in 2019 (not 2020)?
Old Feb 4, 2021, 7:00 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jaytw
Has anyone received their “early January” Spire Elite Choice benefits yet for status earned in 2019 (not 2020)?
I'm guessing that's a typo and you meant to say "status earned in 2020 (not 2021)?" I would like to know as well.

Also, as a reminder, I was informed by the Director of Global Customer Care back in July that all Spire members whose status was extended through January 2022 will receive the Spire Elite Choice Benefit whether or not they requalified for Spire the "normal" way through stays or points.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: All
Originally Posted by ymx
I'm guessing that's a typo and you meant to say "status earned in 2020 (not 2021)?" I would like to know as well.

Also, as a reminder, I was informed by the Director of Global Customer Care back in July that all Spire members whose status was extended through January 2022 will receive the Spire Elite Choice Benefit whether or not they requalified for Spire the "normal" way through stays or points.
Thank you for this info...I was actually told by Customer Care that only those who "truly" re-qualified for Spire would be offered the Spire Elite Choice Benefit. If you hear of any update, we would all appreciate it. Thanks for the data point !
Old Feb 20, 2021, 6:41 pm
ymx

Anybody receive their Spire Elite Choice Benefit yet?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador , CM Presidential, Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ymx
Anybody receive their Spire Elite Choice Benefit yet?
I complete recent above of 75k Qualifying Points. With this I get this year Spire but not receive Spire Elite Choice Benefit.

I see in my account complete for Spire but I don’t have idea what happens with this benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.