Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blindman
UPDATE - 23rd April 2020

Status will be extended through to January 2022 (please wait for it to reflect in accounts. IHG say this will happen 'in the coming weeks'

Spire members will receive another choice benefit

See this post for links to IHG page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32317728-post77.html

12th March 2020 Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status

Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

Please note, that IHG also mentions, that it may take up to 4 weeks until the updated information is available in the account overview.

Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months)
Royal Ambassador: will be extended through January 2022. The thread about this is here

For discussion of an extension of the Ambassador free night certificate see this thread.

For discussion on cancellations of stays (general bookings) see this thread.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see this thread.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by roonster
Based on the wording from IHG it says:
All members’ programme status will be automatically extended through January 2022, allowing members to enjoy all the benefits of the status they earned during 2019

I assume this means current membership would be extended
Undeniably that's what it says. My own account shows Spire expiry 31 December 2021 (I haven't re-qualified yet this year).
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:39 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I spoke with IHG member services and they confirmed that if you reach qualification in 2020 you'll get two choice benefits in January of 2021.
Finance_underling likes this.

Last edited by ymx; Jul 6, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
I spoke with IHG member services and they confirmed that if you reach qualification in 2020 you'll get two choice benefits in January of 2021.
well, we all know CSRs are often wrong. in this case, such a benefit wouldnt even make sense. i dont know how their back-end systems are set-up, however, Im going to assume its ancient legacy with band-aid modern modules. if thats the case, there will only be one set of choice benefits issued. this is because you can only obtain spire once in the prior year regardless of how its achieved. either by IHG leadership or through stays. for example, if you stayed double the requirement for spire, you wouldnt get the choice benefit twice.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
This is probably a promotion related to Coronavirus, but I'm not sure where else to post it. I'm not a huge user of Intercontinental, maybe a couple of times a year. Not sure if this is a great offer, which would incentivize me to stay more often at IC.

We invite you to enhance your travels by joining InterContinental® Ambassador with this exceptional offer. Simply enrol in the programme by 15 November 2020, then stay once at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton®, or Regent® hotels by 31 January 2021 to receive a Reward Night, in addition to your full suite of Ambassador benefits.

In addition to the exceptional offer above, enjoy these guaranteed Ambassador benefits:
  • Guaranteed room upgrades
  • Extended 4pm checkout
  • IHG® Rewards Club Platinum Elite status
  • A complimentary weekend night at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and participating Kimpton and Regent hotels2
Enrol today for USD200 or 40,000 points.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes I saw the offer and was unsure whether to post it or not.

It very much depends how much you use ICs over a year though the cost of not paying for one night of a 2 night weekend stay could very well cover the $200 price tag (plus being able to use it all week at Kimptons is a good use as well)
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
I received that offer yesterday and went ahead and signed up. Always held back in the past because I prefer the Kimpton over the IC but the 40k point sign up fee and the free night is pretty much a wash so I pulled the trigger. Not to mention you get another weekend certificate so it’s essentially 2 nights for 40k points with the requirement that you have a paid weekend night to go along with it.

Got a couple IC nights coming up so we’ll see how the ambassador program is.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
That won't happen.

The reason is that as soon as you hit the magic number the choice award is immediately available - you don't have to wait until the following year to redeem it.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:29 am

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Retron
That won't happen.

The reason is that as soon as you hit the magic number the choice award is immediately available - you don't have to wait until the following year to redeem it.
I have already requalified via points this year and have not received the choice award yet. So suspect it will show up in the new year
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
I have already requalified via points this year and have not received the choice award yet. So suspect it will show up in the new year
I hit night 55 nights last Thursday. Yesterday I had a message on the app to select my benefit and the 25K Points were deposited instantly.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:48 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ymx
I neglected to update this. I wrote to the corporate offices to clarify, and received this message back from the executive offices:

"I am truly sorry for any confusion or frustration caused with the adjustments to our IHG Rewards Club program. This is an unprecedented time for everyone and we want you and all our guests to stay safe. This is why we have ensured all members' status will be extended through January 2022, and as you already know, this includes your Spire Elite Choice Benefit. This benefit can only be received one time between now and 2022. As such members are still able to achieve this benefit normally with qualifying stays or if this is not possible we understand and a grace will be given and you will still maintain the status and receive the benefits. I realize this may feel a bit counter intuitive but IHG would rather have the incentive for you and all our guests focus on staying safe and enjoy the Elite benefits you have already earned, once life begins to return to normal. "

So my original post was incorrect — there is really no benefit, or incentive, of requalifying for Spire this year. You get a single Choice Benefit either way.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ymx
I neglected to update this. I wrote to the corporate offices to clarify, and received this message back from the executive offices:

"I am truly sorry for any confusion or frustration caused with the adjustments to our IHG Rewards Club program. This is an unprecedented time for everyone and we want you and all our guests to stay safe. This is why we have ensured all members' status will be extended through January 2022, and as you already know, this includes your Spire Elite Choice Benefit. This benefit can only be received one time between now and 2022. As such members are still able to achieve this benefit normally with qualifying stays or if this is not possible we understand and a grace will be given and you will still maintain the status and receive the benefits. I realize this may feel a bit counter intuitive but IHG would rather have the incentive for you and all our guests focus on staying safe and enjoy the Elite benefits you have already earned, once life begins to return to normal. "

So my original post was incorrect — there is really no benefit, or incentive, of requalifying for Spire this year. You get a single Choice Benefit either way.
Thanks for the follow-up. I had to read the statement three times, but end up reaching the same interpretation you do.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I was seriously considering doing this, but with the huge upswing in COVID, and the only available hotels within reach are in Boston or NYC-I decided this was an incredibly stupid risky move on my part-especially since the free night expires in March 2021. If it was December 31, 2021, I could be more tempted. (But my rational head would say death or disease is not worth a better and/or free hotel night!)
Old Nov 20, 2020, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Runner123
I was seriously considering doing this, but with the huge upswing in COVID, and the only available hotels within reach are in Boston or NYC-I decided this was an incredibly stupid risky move on my part-especially since the free night expires in March 2021. If it was December 31, 2021, I could be more tempted. (But my rational head would say death or disease is not worth a better and/or free hotel night!)
You consider staying at a hotel a "risk" for death or disease?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 4:59 pm

Any word on them extending like hilton did? So nights stayed in 2020 roll over to 2021 to count towards status?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
For the Ambassador certificates, do the stays have to be complete by the expiration date or just booked? On my account it says "Book by April 1st 2021" for instance, but the system will allow me to book stays beyond April 2021 with the Amb free night rate, unlike for the Chase Free nights. Or will I be charged for both nights if I book the Amb free night rate beyond the expiration date for my certificate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.