Question re:points redemption

Old Feb 29, 2020, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Question re:points redemption

Can someone point me to the wording in the terms of agreement with IHG on the redemption of points relating to reserving a room with points for my daughter? Is this allowed or not? she is over 21 and I will be making the reservation with her as a additional guest. I will also call the hotel and let them know she will be checking in.

Any help would be great
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I never read these:
https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...member-tc.html

But I do the same for my son- no issue in the USA. In Asia a different story as I get upgrades and bennies because of my status and sometimes they want me there before/with him.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:51 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
Can someone point me to the wording in the terms of agreement with IHG on the redemption of points relating to reserving a room with points for my daughter? Is this allowed or not? she is over 21 and I will be making the reservation with her as a additional guest. I will also call the hotel and let them know she will be checking in.

Any help would be great
Simplistically booking room for A N Other with your points is allowed iunder IHG t+c's if no monies/goods exchange hands (you can't sell points or award rooms)

1. Unofficially many do as you do for family/close-aquaintances. Not allowed officially but IHG turn blind eye to it, ie tacit acceptance (except for Asian hotels where reselling award nights was rife)
For family many IHGers do exactly that. Book res and add family member as additional guest . This allows additional guest to checkin in your absence, though most hotels will require first guest to provide a credit card . Now if you have status and daughter none, their is no right to benefits such as room-upgrade, so if you don't turn up on checkkout daughter could be charged for upgrade, As such best your daughter volunteers that you will not be checking in and it is just her. Most times but not all the upgraded room isalready assigned and daughter will keep upgraded room with no risk of a checkout charge

Two downsides of the unofficial approach to you the donor
i)If daughter doesn't use, points get refunded , your CC gets charged high on the day roomrate
ii)If Daughter and friend ie 2guests, only one is on reservation, so if daughters friend loses room key/locks self out, reception will not give her new key, only your named additional guest ie daughter is

2. Official method is
a)Contact by phone the IHG helpdesk (If Greater China hotel room, must be done more than 7 days out)
b)answer account validation questions
c)inform teleop you want to book hotel-xxxx dd/mm/yyyy for your daughter using your IHG points
d)teleop will book room in your daughters name as primary guest, insert daughters CC number as guarantee so have to hand (can't insert yours), insert daughters IHG [MENTION=215904]Rewards[/MENTION] number if any
e)teleop will add additional guest fields name if daughter has friend. (useful if that 3rd person daughters friend they lock selves out of room)
Daughter now has room as Primary booker etc.

Last edited by scubaccr; Mar 2, 2020 at 12:00 am
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks to both. This is how i have done it in the past but on a trip last week the hotel gave her a hard time. The only thing i did not do was call reservations. I made reservation online then called hotel as i have done in the past. Just wanted to verify the process had not changed

thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.