Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
The current rule by IHG in regard to cancelation due to the Coronavirus is published on:
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/customer-care/travel-advisory-covid-19

There are different rules for regular bookings and group and event bookings.

For new Booking (bookings made between April 06, 2020 and December 31, 2020)
Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for arrivals up to and including December 31, can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until December 31, 2020*.
For arrivals from January 01, 2021 all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked. Other rates have flexibility built in to the terms and conditions, including cancellation options. Please consult the terms and conditions of your booking for more details.

New Rule as of April 05, 2020 (last revised August 31, 2020)
(thank to rdh0924 and this post:
Free nights earned through credit cards are also being extended, depending on when they were earned. No new information on status requirements. Below is information directly from IHG's travel advisory page. Note the exception regarding China:

Cancellation policy & booking flexibly
Given the flexibility our guests and customers need right now we have implemented the following policies:

For Existing Bookings:
Existing bookings (bookings made by April 6, 2020) at all IHG hotels* can be changed or cancelled for stays up to Decemer 31, 2020, noting that:

Important Information:
  • Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances. (including the type and timing of the refund).
  • If you cancel a rate which required a deposit or payment in advance, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Refunds (which may be vouchers where required by local law) may take up to 90 days for hotels to process from the date of cancellation. Reservations may be changed without a fee but may result in different pricing.
  • Exclusions may apply for time periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks.
  • Bookings via a third-party: For bookings made through an online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) or third-party travel professionals, please contact them directly – we have advised these companies of our cancellation policy and you should refer to their terms and conditions.
  • Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case by case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further.
*Cancellation fees for existing and new domestic bookings at all IHG hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region will be waived for stays up to April 30, 2020

From January 01, 2021, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.

Additionally:

Anniversary night certificates earned through IHG Rewards Club credit cards (USA & UK):

We are extending the expiration date of anniversary and free night certificates that are set to expire in 2020. Certificates expiring from March 1, 2020 can now be used through August 31, 2021.

Certificates issued in 2020 will have an 18-month redemption time period.

Old Rule (for reference) and probably still apply for booking in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan

IHG is waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels worldwide for stays between 09 March, 2020 and 30 April, 2020.

This is in addition to existing cancellation policy measures IHG has in place. These are.
For any stay prior to 09 March, 2020, existing measures mean that you will be able to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, if you are travelling to or from:
  • Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between 23 January, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
  • Italy and South Korea for any stay between 28 February, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
For bookings made through a travel agent or an online booking platform contact them direct. IHG has advised these companies of the cancellation policy.

This thread here is to discuss this booking, which are individual bookings. The aforementioned rule does not apply for event and group bookings (if made as such bookings). We understand it the way, that if you travel to a trade fair or conference and made a booking with the hotel of your own, this is an individual booking.

Group and Event Bookings
There is a dedicated rule for group and event bookings. IHG deals with this on a case-by-case basis.
IHG hotels are actively supporting customers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time. Groups & Meetings can continue to apply existing measures by IHG which enables the guest / organizer to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, in:
  • Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between 23 January, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
  • Italy and South Korea for any stay between 28 February, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
You should contact the hotel to discuss this further.
It seems, that IHG is less relaxed on group bookings. These could not canceled.
We understand, that it has to be an event booking (trade fair rates may or may not belong to this).

We have a thread, which is about cancelation of events or rooms in regard to events:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/2011602-modifying-non-refundable-booking-following-event-cancellation-due-coronavirus.html

Status Extenstion
Information about the extension of status could be found in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/2012459-ihg-rewards-club-status-intercontinental-ambassador-membership-extension.html
This should be discussed in the thread mentioned above.

Ambassador Cancellations
IHG emailed Ambassador members on 3/11/20. The second paragraph of this notice said "With that in mind, we are waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG® hotels globally for stays between 9 March and 30 April 2020." It remains to be seen if "waiving cancellation fees" equates to the refund of pre-paid, non-refundable bookings made before the email.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Cancellation Policy (update as of August 31, 2020)

Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: Various
I also had a prepaid reservation for early May I wasn't sure about(due to unclear language on website) but today the hotel called me and inquired about my travel plans. I got the distinct feeling they were happy with me not travelling and they were very quick to suggest cancelling and paying back my deposit.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: AY+
How long does it take to get the refund atm? 4-8 weeks like with most of the companies? My cancel reservation was in UK.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I also had a prepaid reservation for early May I wasn't sure about(due to unclear language on website) but today the hotel called me and inquired about my travel plans. I got the distinct feeling they were happy with me not travelling and they were very quick to suggest cancelling and paying back my deposit.
I recently cancelled two reservations for late May at IC London Park Lane..... this is what I learned: I had two separate reservations with identical itineraries (one for my wife and I and the other for a friend traveling with us). Since the cancellation language left some confusion regarding prepaid reservations I call the IHG customer service number to confirm I would get a full cash refund. After giving her one of the reservations to check, the rep asked to put me on hold while she checked with someone (turns out she call the hotel on my behalf), and told me I am suppose to get a full cash refund. When I went back into my account online I discovered that the one reservation had been cancelled. I got the refund credit on my CC the next day. After seeing the refund credit post on the first reservation, I cancelled the second reservation online. After not seeing my credit post on my CC, I called IHG customer service to inquire and was told that cancellations made online did not automatically generate refunds..... I needed to call Guest Services Relations and request the refund. I did that and was told the refunds had to be initiated by the specific hotel... which the agent told me he sent them a notification to look at my cancelled reservation to initiate the refund.... though the hotel is closed to at least May 15th, so it might be that long before someone is there to do the refund. I will directly call the hotel tomorrow to see if I can reach someone to see if the refund can be expedited... seems they are trying to be accommodating and truly helpful (unlike some airlines).

If you have a prepaid reservation or deposit on a reservation.... my counsel is to call the hotel directly to effect the cancellation and ask for the refund back to the original form of payment. It appears to be the most direct path to your refund.

Last edited by Brostman; Apr 13, 2020 at 9:13 pm Reason: grammar
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Brostman
I recently cancelled two reservations for late May at IC London Park Lane..... this is what I learned: I had two separate reservations with identical itineraries (one for my wife and I and the other for a friend traveling with us). Since the cancellation language left some confusion regarding prepaid reservations I call the IHG customer service number to confirm I would get a full cash refund. After giving her one of the reservations to check, the rep asked to put me on hold while she checked with someone (turns out she call the hotel on my behalf), and told me I am suppose to get a full cash refund. When I went back into my account online I discovered that the one reservation had been cancelled. I got the refund credit on my CC the next day. After seeing the refund credit post on the first reservation, I cancelled the second reservation online. After not seeing my credit post on my CC, I called IHG customer service to inquire and was told that cancellations made online did not automatically generate refunds..... I needed to call Guest Services Relations and request the refund. I did that and was told the refunds had to be initiated by the specific hotel... which the agent told me he sent them a notification to look at my cancelled reservation to initiate the refund.... though the hotel is closed to at least May 15th, so it might be that long before someone is there to do the refund. I will directly call the hotel tomorrow to see if I can reach someone to see if the refund can be expedited... seems they are trying to be accommodating and truly helpful (unlike some airlines).

If you have a prepaid reservation or deposit on a reservation.... my counsel is to call the hotel directly to effect the cancellation and ask for the refund back to the original form of payment. It appears to be the most direct path to your refund.
Wow, that's a big catch, especially since it said it might take up to 90 days to get a refund so people such as myself would have waited months before trying to follow up.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Current cancellation policy is for end of June 20. Is this likely to be extended? I have non cancelable X3 nights holiday Inn booking early July for Adelaide. I am UK based and it's not going to be possible to travel due to restrictions for air travel etc. Any suggestions? Contact IHG now or wait out? Thanks.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Originally Posted by nivsy
Current cancellation policy is for end of June 20. Is this likely to be extended? I have non cancelable X3 nights holiday Inn booking early July for Adelaide. I am UK based and it's not going to be possible to travel due to restrictions for air travel etc. Any suggestions? Contact IHG now or wait out? Thanks.
I suggest that you phone IHG to cancel , they will contact the hotel and arrange whilst you are on the line . It takes a few minutes, refund was in my account in a week or so
nivsy likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by ninjalad
I suggest that you phone IHG to cancel , they will contact the hotel and arrange whilst you are on the line . It takes a few minutes, refund was in my account in a week or so
Thanks. Contacted hotel directly by e mail and response received quickly. All sorted.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
I've just updated the Wiki post, the current non-China cancellation policy is for bookings made prior to 6 April 2020 for stays up to 31 August 2020. I called IHG last week as I've got an advance purchase booking in Berlin next month for which the event and the flights are cancelled, the agent said that they expected the policy to be reviewed and updated this week so I'm going to give it a couple of days and call back if the website hasn't been updated.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 10:21 am
Suspended

I cancelled an award night using the IHG.com web site this morning. Was due to arrive on September 3, according to the terms of the booking free cancellation allowed until September 2.

To my surprise, the points used for the booking weren't credited back to my account automatically. Waited a few hours and then rang the call center. The agent had me on hold for a total of 15 min or so. He later indicated the property I had booked was currently closed due to covid-19. He wasn't able to reach anyone at the closed property, but was able to get in touch with the nearby HIX. They were able to refund the points.

The story didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. (Usually, the refund of points was automatic and almost instantaneously right?) The agent was super-friendly and helpful and sorted this out to my complete satisfaction. Still, makes you wonder if it would have been resolved so smoothly without a Spire Amb status...
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
IHG central reservations team have told me that the policy to allow free cancellation of advance purchase rooms booked prior to 4th April is not being extended beyond 31st August. I've emailed the hotel directly to ask if they're prepared to make an exception; I've not yet played the DYKWIA Spire Ambassador card but also haven't yet implied that I'd be prepared to take credit against a future booking instead of being stuck in the current "use it or lose it" quandry.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) booking policies updated 31 Aug

Originally Posted by Joeykins
IHG central reservations team have told me that the policy to allow free cancellation of advance purchase rooms booked prior to 4th April is not being extended beyond 31st August.
I have been reviewing IHGs website with regard to my own forward bookings, including this Sep. The good news is reproduced below:-

CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19): Supporting your well-being and travel plans

Given the flexibility our guests and customers need right now we have implemented the following policies:

FOR EXISTING BOOKINGS MADE UP TO AND INCLUDING SEPTEMBER 30, 2020:
With continued changes of government travel advice, guests who have made non-refundable/pre-paid reservations may want to consider changes to trips already booked.

Please note, all bookings (made directly with IHG), including non-refundable/pre-paid rates, can be changed without charge – although changing the date on any reservations may result in different pricing. Please see the booking information on your booking confirmation for details on the time period for any changes to bookings.

FOR BOOKINGS MADE PRIOR TO APRIL 6, 2020:
Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for all future arrivals can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until September 30, 2020*.
From October 1, 2020, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.

FOR BOOKINGS MADE FROM APRIL 6 TO SEPTEMBER 30:
Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for arrivals up to and including September 30, can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until September 30, 2020*.
For arrivals from October 1, 2020, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked. Other rates have flexibility built in to the terms and conditions, including cancellation options. Please consult the terms and conditions of your booking for more details.

Updated: August 31, 2020
Joeykins likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by edinv
Updated: August 31, 2020
Would a moderator or someone else with more ability than I have please include the date in the subject of the thread, rather than just appending "(updated)" to the title? (This should be standard operating procedure, in my opinion.)

Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:48 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by serpens
Would a moderator or someone else with more ability than I have please include the date in the subject of the thread, rather than just appending "(updated)" to the title? (This should be standard operating procedure, in my opinion.)

Thanks.
Done and also updated the Wiki

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Done and also updated the Wiki
Thank you very much.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
I'm still slightly confused on the policy and was wondering if anyone had experience of it for a stay past September?

Particularly confused about this bit below, I booked in February 2020 for a stay in December 2020. I read the clause below as saying that I can have a refund as long as I cancel before the 30th September but when i emailed IHG to clarify they said I couldn't because December is after the 30th September 2020. I assume they're right and I'm wrong but it could be better worded if so!

FOR BOOKINGS MADE PRIOR TO 6 APRIL 2020:
  • Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for all future arrivals can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until 30 September 2020*.
  • From 1 October 2020, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.