Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
The current rule by IHG in regard to cancelation due to the Coronavirus is published on:
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/customer-care/travel-advisory-covid-19

There are different rules for regular bookings and group and event bookings.

For new Booking (bookings made between April 06, 2020 and December 31, 2020)
Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for arrivals up to and including December 31, can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until December 31, 2020*.
For arrivals from January 01, 2021 all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked. Other rates have flexibility built in to the terms and conditions, including cancellation options. Please consult the terms and conditions of your booking for more details.

New Rule as of April 05, 2020 (last revised August 31, 2020)
(thank to rdh0924 and this post:
Free nights earned through credit cards are also being extended, depending on when they were earned. No new information on status requirements. Below is information directly from IHG's travel advisory page. Note the exception regarding China:

Cancellation policy & booking flexibly
Given the flexibility our guests and customers need right now we have implemented the following policies:

For Existing Bookings:
Existing bookings (bookings made by April 6, 2020) at all IHG hotels* can be changed or cancelled for stays up to Decemer 31, 2020, noting that:

Important Information:
  • Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances. (including the type and timing of the refund).
  • If you cancel a rate which required a deposit or payment in advance, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Refunds (which may be vouchers where required by local law) may take up to 90 days for hotels to process from the date of cancellation. Reservations may be changed without a fee but may result in different pricing.
  • Exclusions may apply for time periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks.
  • Bookings via a third-party: For bookings made through an online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) or third-party travel professionals, please contact them directly – we have advised these companies of our cancellation policy and you should refer to their terms and conditions.
  • Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case by case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further.
*Cancellation fees for existing and new domestic bookings at all IHG hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region will be waived for stays up to April 30, 2020

From January 01, 2021, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.

Additionally:

Anniversary night certificates earned through IHG Rewards Club credit cards (USA & UK):

We are extending the expiration date of anniversary and free night certificates that are set to expire in 2020. Certificates expiring from March 1, 2020 can now be used through August 31, 2021.

Certificates issued in 2020 will have an 18-month redemption time period.

Old Rule (for reference) and probably still apply for booking in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan

IHG is waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels worldwide for stays between 09 March, 2020 and 30 April, 2020.

This is in addition to existing cancellation policy measures IHG has in place. These are.
For any stay prior to 09 March, 2020, existing measures mean that you will be able to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, if you are travelling to or from:
  • Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between 23 January, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
  • Italy and South Korea for any stay between 28 February, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
For bookings made through a travel agent or an online booking platform contact them direct. IHG has advised these companies of the cancellation policy.

This thread here is to discuss this booking, which are individual bookings. The aforementioned rule does not apply for event and group bookings (if made as such bookings). We understand it the way, that if you travel to a trade fair or conference and made a booking with the hotel of your own, this is an individual booking.

Group and Event Bookings
There is a dedicated rule for group and event bookings. IHG deals with this on a case-by-case basis.
IHG hotels are actively supporting customers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time. Groups & Meetings can continue to apply existing measures by IHG which enables the guest / organizer to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, in:
  • Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between 23 January, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
  • Italy and South Korea for any stay between 28 February, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
You should contact the hotel to discuss this further.
It seems, that IHG is less relaxed on group bookings. These could not canceled.
We understand, that it has to be an event booking (trade fair rates may or may not belong to this).

We have a thread, which is about cancelation of events or rooms in regard to events:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/2011602-modifying-non-refundable-booking-following-event-cancellation-due-coronavirus.html

Status Extenstion
Information about the extension of status could be found in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/2012459-ihg-rewards-club-status-intercontinental-ambassador-membership-extension.html
This should be discussed in the thread mentioned above.

Ambassador Cancellations
IHG emailed Ambassador members on 3/11/20. The second paragraph of this notice said "With that in mind, we are waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG® hotels globally for stays between 9 March and 30 April 2020." It remains to be seen if "waiving cancellation fees" equates to the refund of pre-paid, non-refundable bookings made before the email.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Cancellation Policy (update as of August 31, 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
I have a booking using points and cash for June in Germany. Unfortunately the trade fair has been postponed for the year. If I cancel the reservation online it says 20% will be charged can I expect a waiver from IHG. Also some of the points in the booking were expiring in Jan I am assuming after cancellation other than the 20% point (in case they do not waive the penalty) all will be refunded to my account.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:58 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
I have a booking using points and cash for June in Germany. Unfortunately the trade fair has been postponed for the year. If I cancel the reservation online it says 20% will be charged can I expect a waiver from IHG. Also some of the points in the booking were expiring in Jan I am assuming after cancellation other than the 20% point (in case they do not waive the penalty) all will be refunded to my account.
You would be out of luck - at least as of today - regarding the dates, as you made an individual booking.

There are different rules for group and event bookings:

Groups & Meetings bookings

We will work with customers to manage any changes needed on a case-by-case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting customers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time. Groups & Meetings can continue to apply our existing measures, enabling these clients to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, in:
Please contact the hotel direct to discuss further.

We are continuing to monitor the situation and will be keeping this policy under review.

For bookings beyond 30 April, 2020, we want to remind you of the flexibility already built into our rates and packages that allow our guests to amend travel plans as necessary. Our Best Flexible Rate allows our guests to change or cancel their reservation one to two days prior to arrival. Changing the date on any reservations through our Best Flexible Rate may result in different pricing, but there is no fee for making changes.

To inquire about any booking, contact the hotel or our reservations team.

We hope this helps you to plan and book any future travel with confidence.
We also have a dedicated thread for meeting and group bookings.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Any word on our free cc night given for having the credit card? I have a reservation for it Mon-Tue of next week - but due to Covid-19 going to cancel. Is it lost... or will they extend time?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Saral
I have a pre-paid booking through an on line booking agency, this scenario is supposed to be included in the policy, but the travel company are not responding to contact, understandably they are probably incredibly busy, but does anyone have any suggestions?
Same here and a pricy one. The OTA is for reasons I understand unreachable. Before cancelling I prefer to know whether or not I'm going to get reimbursed. I'm very interested to see reactions from anyone who has succeeded to recover a prepayment.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by azurbuddy
Same here and a pricy one. The OTA is for reasons I understand unreachable. Before cancelling I prefer to know whether or not I'm going to get reimbursed. I'm very interested to see reactions from anyone who has succeeded to recover a prepayment.
You could consider selling the booking on one of the second-market sites. Most hotels allow the name on the booking to be changed without any fee (better to call the hotel directly for this). Hell, if the booking's in Asia PM me, I might be interested myself
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
I have a nonrefundable in Spain for March 24, I cant even get into the country...didnt IHG have a chat function? is that gone? I dont see it ...
I'm satisfied that I remembered correctly no charge on the non refundable, but now I'm puzzled by the chat function issue
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by retirementdreams
I have a nonrefundable in Spain for March 24, I cant even get into the country...didnt IHG have a chat function? is that gone? I dont see it ...
I'm satisfied that I remembered correctly no charge on the non refundable, but now I'm puzzled by the chat function issue
Ask IHG

Is for live chat, it says HiE but it worked for all queries
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: NZ
I had a prepaid non-refundable booking at the IC Fiji for 28-30 April. I contacted the hotel directly by email and they confirmed that my booking had been cancelled and that my payment would be refunded in full.

If you are in a similar position then I would suggest contacting the hotel directly rather than IHG as they are the one that needs to process the refund to your credit card.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:30 pm

After getting the 3/11 IHG Ambassador letter indicating that there was no cancellation penalty for stays between 3/9 and 4/30, I canceled a pre-paid reservation for a Holiday inn in Mill Valley that was supposed to begin on 3/13. Since then, no refund on my credit card. I called IHG and while waiting to speak to a human, a recording indicated that I'd have to wait "14-21 days" before seeing the refund. Which is fine. The IHG chatbot says "1-2 billing cycles" which is less fine.

Anyway, I'm going to cool my heels for a while. I have all the documents I need (reservation, credit card charge, cancellation email, IHG Ambassador letter). Like others on this thread, the real question is whether "waiving cancellation fees" covers refunds for pre-paid reservations.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by azurbuddy
I got through to hotwire and they immediately cancelled and refunded my non cancellable pre paid hotel bookings as they go off the hotel chains instruction
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I cancelled a points stay last Friday, within the refundable period. The points have not been returned. I called IHG this evening for help, and an agent told me those issues can only be handled by the service center in Philippines-- which he said is closed right now due to Coronavirus lockdown.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:13 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by bgriff
Thanks all. In my case for a stay in the US, my card was indeed already charged, which is always the questionable case since needing them to actually refund you is a bigger ask than just not charging you. I’m not quite ready to cancel for a stay next month yet but I’ll report back on what happens if I pull the trigger.
Just another data point. Had a prepaid, nonrefundable stay for next month booked. Tried calling the general reservations line since it wasn’t clear from the language on the website whether I would get a refund. Fortunately before you start to wait on a long hold, the phone system plays a recording explaining specifically that if you cancel prepaid reservations online you will get a refund — they really ought to just write the same very clear language on the website. So I went ahead and cancelled my booking online on the 13th, and the refund came through today.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by bgriff
Just another data point. Had a prepaid, nonrefundable stay for next month booked. Tried calling the general reservations line since it wasn’t clear from the language on the website whether I would get a refund. Fortunately before you start to wait on a long hold, the phone system plays a recording explaining specifically that if you cancel prepaid reservations online you will get a refund — they really ought to just write the same very clear language on the website. So I went ahead and cancelled my booking online on the 13th, and the refund came through today.
thanks, exactly the info I was looking for. I have a prepaid I need to cancel and was hoping I can just do it online and ignore the normal warning about losing my deposit.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:58 am

The [hotel name removed] appears to be trying to pull a fast one on its customers. I booked a prepaid reservation for the Masters (first week of April) but haven't yet cancelled online because I was worried I wouldn't automatically get a refund. I just found this thread which gave me the confidence to go ahead and cancel it, but to my surprise when I went to manage my reservation the date had been moved to the middle of October. I called the front desk and they said the Masters has been rescheduled and they moved my reservation for me. I was never asked to approve the move nor was I even notified. The manager isn't in until tomorrow but the person I talked to said since my reservation is prepaid and in October I can't cancel and get a refund. One of the people I'm travelling with is having their first child over the summer, we may not even be going to the Masters. Second, the Masters hasn't even been rescheduled yet, they're just guessing at dates to try to prevent people from cancelling and getting refunds. I'm going to call back tomorrow and speak to the manager but to say I'm upset right now would be an understatement.

Last edited by sjvolfan; Mar 31, 2020 at 11:43 am Reason: Hotel processed refund with no complaints - removed name.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:50 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by sjvolfan
The [hotel name removed] appears to be trying to pull a fast one on its customers. I booked a prepaid reservation for the Masters (first week of April) but haven't yet cancelled online because I was worried I wouldn't automatically get a refund. I just found this thread which gave me the confidence to go ahead and cancel it, but to my surprise when I went to manage my reservation the date had been moved to the middle of October. I called the front desk and they said the Masters has been rescheduled and they moved my reservation for me. I was never asked to approve the move nor was I even notified. The manager isn't in until tomorrow but the person I talked to said since my reservation is prepaid and in October I can't cancel and get a refund. One of the people I'm travelling with is having their first child over the summer, we may not even be going to the Masters. Second, the Masters hasn't even been rescheduled yet, they're just guessing at dates to try to prevent people from cancelling and getting refunds. I'm going to call back tomorrow and speak to the manager but to say I'm upset right now would be an understatement.
I assume your confirmation e-mail has the correct date of the original reservation? I also assume you booked a regular rate, for a specific date and not a specific event rate? If you booked an event rate, there are different rules (and thus a different thread).

I know that follow up with corporate might currently be a bit of a hassle, but I would try ...

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 1, 2020 at 5:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.