Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Counts As Elite Qualifying Points?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

What Counts As Elite Qualifying Points?

I currently need about 15,000 more points to retain Spire for next year. I know I earn 10 base points per dollar spent and base points are counted as qualifying points. I also earn another 10 points bonus for being a Spire and another 10 points for paying with an IHG card. Do the latter two count as qualifying points?

Do any of the bonus points accrued through offers currently in progress (ie. Up To 4x, Accelerate, etc...) count as qualifying points? What about non-IHG purchases on the IHG card?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Bonus points do not count, but non-IHG purchases do count toward qualifying points. Depending on the category, some are worth more than 1 point per dollar, such as restaurants, etc.

Sounds like a few nights paid on your IHG card could put you across the finish line.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:17 am
Original Poster

For every dollar spent on an IHG stay with an IHG card, do you get 20 qualifying points (10 base points for the stay itself + 10 points per dollar spent on the card)?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Credit card spend and the Bonus Point Packages are the fast ways to earn EQPs...

(unless your credit card is brand new, you can see this on your Rewards Club account)
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:22 am

It depends what your terms were when you applied for the card. My wife and I both have the IHG Premier card, but her bonus was better and her first year she receives more points per dollar spent at IHG properties. I would review that to be certain - don't want to give you bad advice.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Do all bonus points from bonus point packages count as elite qualifying points?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Credit card spend and the Bonus Point Packages are the fast ways to earn EQPs...

(unless your credit card is brand new, you can see this on your Rewards Club account)
How do you see this on your IHG account?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bigcahonna
Your activity makes pretty clear which are qualifying points and which are non-qualifying.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Do all bonus points from bonus point packages count as elite qualifying points?
In my experience, all bonus points packages booked on IHG.com with a regular reservation count as EQPs. I had all kinds of 1/2/3/4/5k packages either per night or per stay this year and in previous years that all counted as EQPs.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:38 am

Might be better off checking your Chase account for card agreement details.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:07 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Do the following count as elite qualifying?
  • Credit card referral points
  • Bonus points (like the current Kimpton summer promotion of 10,000 points per night)

Last edited by ymx; Aug 7, 2021 at 11:37 am
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ymx
Do the following count as elite qualifying?
  • Credit card referral points
  • Bonus points (like the current Kimpton summer promotion of 10,000 points per night)
Not sure regarding the CC referral, but bonus points wont be counted as elite qualifying.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:04 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by VictorHugo
Not sure regarding the CC referral, but bonus points wont be counted as elite qualifying.
Thanks! I just saw in the Kimpton terms that the bonus points are not elite qualifying.

Still would love to have confirmation on credit card referral points being elite qualifying.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just wanted to confirm any recent datapoints that the extra points earned on the bonus point packages are still elite qualifying? I'm referring to the room rates that give you an extra 1,000 points per night (not any separate promotion).

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Just wanted to confirm any recent datapoints that the extra points earned on the bonus point packages are still elite qualifying? I'm referring to the room rates that give you an extra 1,000 points per night (not any separate promotion).

-FlyerBeek
Today, yes. Once the new program comes out—-which could be any day in the next few weeks, it is anybody’s guess what will count and what will not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.