Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Phuket (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
All sounds a little disapointing so far, I had high hopes for Phuket as I like the Island and have fond memories of there.

Thinking of going April next year but would not be happy if the price is way above Hua Hin which is a favourite of mine and somewhere I am looked after very well.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 6:07 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Just a fore your information:
This thread has been added to the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...read-list.html

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
If Phuket is more expensive than Hua Hin or Pattaya I would not go back, even with better food and service it would not be worth more money.
The club rooms are nothing special in Phuket, the view is nice, they are new and modern but the layout just does not work.
As RA they told my that the pool villas are excluded from upgrades. And if they did I would be on the other side with a fairly long walk from the pool villa to the club lounge. In addition I would like to see the ocean from the room and the pool villas all seem to have only mountain view.
For me personally the answer is most likely: no

Most likely my next visit will be to Hua Hin. Easy to get to from Bangkok (one way usually around 2200 to 2500 bath,3 hours door to door, just avoid Friday afternoon to Hua Hin and Sunday to Bangkok)
Unterwegs- I should have listened to you!

The hotel is a car crash. Checked in on the 6th and still here. I cancelled the last night. Now that the hotel is more occupied, it shows it is a hot mess.

It seems to cater to the Russian crowds and noisy children.

Booked points stay upgraded to lagoon view. Rooms are nice but nothing spectacular.

Food and service at pine bar in the beach is an unmitigated disaster.

Food at pinto is overpriced and unremarkable.

Sea Front area is way too small for the hotel and it looks and feels extremely crowded. There is no enough personal space. It is like being at a cheap resort fighting for sun beds type of situation.

Adult only pool is not enforced.

The mountain side pools are not serviced and that includes shortage of towels! No water and no possibility to order foods and drinks. Cleaning of the pools has room for improvement and that includes employees walking in and out of the pool barefoot.

Lots of constructions going on in the mountain side.

Service from staff has significant room for improvement.

Staying in the mountain side is a long way to the beach.

Kamala beach is nice but the area is not. Beach is public as in the rest of Pukhet

I have not availed of breakfast but the queue situation seems to be very bad. At check in, they suggest going early to avoid the crowds.

Overall, a disappointing new I/C which at the current rates is overpriced. On a positive side, the general areas of the hotel including lobby and walk-way to the spa is very scenic.

Last edited by palermo; Jan 8, 2020 at 8:02 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I had been looking for April or May this year but the rates seem high for the feedback thus far.

Think I will stick to Hua Hin for time being next trip.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold

This is to give an idea of how cramped the front area is. This is not at the peak by any means as it was once the Russian school break was over and it was at 4pm. The day before the situation was much worse.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by palermo

This is to give an idea of how cramped the front area is. This is not at the peak by any means as it was once the Russian school break was over and it was at 4pm. The day before the situation was much worse.
Oh wow that looks awfull how can one relax packed together like that

That screams cheap european package holiday, what a shame....
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by shoven
I had been looking for April or May this year but the rates seem high for the feedback thus far.

Think I will stick to Hua Hin for time being next trip.
Sorry to hear. It seems to be worse now than I was expecting from my stay.
I just checked prices in June. They are around 30 % more than Hua Hin for comparable rooms. Not sure if nobody told them yet that they suck.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I just checked prices in June. They are around 30 % more than Hua Hin for comparable rooms. Not sure if nobody told them yet that they suck.
They're probably selling most of the rooms to tour operators.

There are some very nice places to stay in Phuket but you have to break away from the major chains.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:15 am

Ouch that's grim. Cost and days waste avoided! Good call
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jan 7 id orthodox xmas - seems exactly when you went there. Next time try chinese new year - they ll probably double that beach chair population density
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, Bonvoy, Aeroflot Platinum, Delta SkyMiles, KLM Flying Blue
Geez... looks like things have gone downhill in just the past month. I stayed at InterCont Phuket for six nights during the first part of December and, with the exception of a few minor screw-ups from the Club Lounge staff on day 2, the experience was wonderful.

From palermo's description above, it looks like the devil's in the details. The territory of the hotel is divided in half by a highway... yes, that's right. If you stay on the mountainside, you are probably just throwing away your money, even if you get one of their "lagoon-view" rooms. Don't waste your vacation or money on it.

However, the Club Lounge is actually great, as are all the rooms on the beach side of the hotel. It wasn't that busy when I was there. Contrast @palermo's photo of the beach with these ones, for example:

That reminds me.. I need to post a full and proper review of the hotel here...
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gentleman Adventurer
Geez... looks like things have gone downhill in just the past month. I stayed at InterCont Phuket for six nights during the first part of December and, with the exception of a few minor screw-ups from the Club Lounge staff on day 2, the experience was wonderful.

From palermo's description above, it looks like the devil's in the details. The territory of the hotel is divided in half by a highway... yes, that's right. If you stay on the mountainside, you are probably just throwing away your money, even if you get one of their "lagoon-view" rooms. Don't waste your vacation or money on it.

However, the Club Lounge is actually great, as are all the rooms on the beach side of the hotel. It wasn't that busy when I was there. Contrast @palermo's photo of the beach with these ones, for example:

Now that's more like it ^ look forward to the review.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gentleman Adventurer

That looks a sight happier
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:44 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
It looks a lot like the HI Resort Mai Khao, which is less than half the price. And, in a quieter area.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, Bonvoy, Aeroflot Platinum, Delta SkyMiles, KLM Flying Blue
I don't know. I'd be hesitant to compare a 10-year old Holiday Inn with a brand new InterContinental... Does the Holiday Inn have a Club Lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.