Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regent Canggu Bali (Pre-opening thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Regent Canggu Bali (Pre-opening thread)

I have heard about the project for some time, but I believe the opening has been delayed for more than a year.

I am wondering if anyone has more information on that new property?

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 22, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Never hear of an IC in North Bali. There is / was (?) one under way in Canggu, but that is not North, just above Seminyak. Ymmv
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by demue
Never hear of an IC in North Bali. There is / was (?) one under way in Canggu, but that is not North, just above Seminyak. Ymmv
I probably understood wrongly: "North of the existing IC" instead of "North of the island". Thanks for the correction.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...nggu-Bali.html

https://www.watg.com/project/interco...-architecture/

https://brookeazumi.com/intercontine...bali-indonesia

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Article from 3 years go:

Local residents protest hotel development in Canggu

"They were apparently protesting the imminent arrival of the Hotel Canggu InterContinental (HCI)"

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/local-...opment-canggu/
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Construction has restarted, will become a Regent.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Construction has restarted, will become a Regent.
The switch of brands must have been decided recently as a majority stake acquisition of Regent Hotels & Resorts by IHG was only announced on Oct. 18.

https://www.ihgplc.com/news-and-medi...ce-acquisition

It is not listed (yet) on the Regent Hotels website.

https://www.regenthotels.com/

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 22, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Still going to take a while. Plus got to love the rendering from the architects. Not sure what place they went to when doing site visit / site planning, but I have never seen such pristine beach in Bali let alone Canggu where everything is grey / blackish sand.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Anybody knows if this project is still happening?

Any idea of the opening date?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titan, Hilton Dia, Sixt Dia, ex IC RoyalAmbassador
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
Anybody knows if this project is still happening?

Any idea of the opening date?
I just passed it a few days ago. starting to look nice, but still long way to go.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

This might possibly give a hint as to what the rooms might look like:

(taken from the Regent Development Brochure)
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Regent Canggu

Source
Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:16 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I saw renderings of the lobby and Regent Club from an IHG presentation about the Regent brand, and while they were distinctly marked as "early" designs, I can attest that they incorporate a lot of the color, pattern and touches of extravagance that underpin the new design direction for the brand. The rooms in the rendering above, despite being pulled from a Regent development brochure, look like an old design - and this is why I think that:

Regent Bali was a pipeline project under Regent before it was inherited by IHG and as it is still technically under development, I would fully expect IHG to have gone in to tweak the design to incorporate the new brand tenets. I read a feature piece recently about Regent Phu Quoc, also a legacy Regent that IHG picked up with the brand acquisition, and even though it was fully designed back in 2016 and was being developed along those lines, the new design cues of the brand have been woven in in the form of patterned pillows and feature pieces that will respect the smooth and restrained aesthetic - yet it will still be a true Regent. As it should be - Phu Quoc will be the first new-build Regent to open under IHG, and as such other legacy projects that are still under construction like Bali and Jakarta will fit into the new direction, as will every new Regent going forward [for the record, the current pipeline includes Bali, Chengdu, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Phu Quoc, Riyadh, Kuala Lumpur and Kyoto; Hong Kong may be a restoration from the InterContinental to its Regent roots, but at the expense they are pouring into the project - 300 million dollars - it might as well be a new build].

khabah

Last edited by khabah; Sep 29, 2021 at 8:23 am
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Canggu was planned as IC and changed to Regent during the construction stop.

The green in the room picture above is a Regent color.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:19 am

The green in the room picture above is a Regent color.
Correct. WATG hasn't changed the architecture, still the same than when proposed years ago as IC. Interior Design surely can be adapted / tweaked to fit Regent design specs / brand image etc.

Still the same ridiculous rendering of whiteish sand that doesn't exist in Canggu (all more dark / blackish) as anyone who has actually been there can confirm.

Anyways, good stuff is happening, but the location may not be right / a fit for everyone. YMMV.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 7:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

You're completely right. I wonder what InterContinental had in mind when they signed the property to be an IC, when they already have an existing, well-established property just 45 minutes away... particularly in Bali...

Originally Posted by demue
Still the same ridiculous rendering of whiteish sand that doesn't exist in Canggu (all more dark / blackish) as anyone who has actually been there can confirm.

Anyways, good stuff is happening, but the location may not be right / a fit for everyone. YMMV.
Yes, you're right! Canggu's beach is indeed absent of white sand. I was told that there is no longer any land in Bali adjacent to a white sand beach that is unoccupied by a hotel... black sand beaches are all there's left unoccupied. Pretty sad seeing how overrun with hotels Bali is nowadays to be honest...

And yes, the location may not appeal too much to some people... Canggu is today's Seminyak and as such, is the current 'trendy' place in Bali. It had been a quiet village until a few years ago...

Honestly, I'm surprised that IHG chose to keep Kimpton as the brand of the hotel that took over part of the former Amanusa compound. I've never really associated Kimpton as a very luxurious brand, and with the property's all-villa layout, I feel that it would be much more suited as a Regent.

Originally Posted by khabah
I saw renderings of the lobby and Regent Club from an IHG presentation about the Regent brand, and while they were distinctly marked as "early" designs, I can attest that they incorporate a lot of the color, pattern and touches of extravagance that underpin the new design direction for the brand. The rooms in the rendering above, despite being pulled from a Regent development brochure, look like an old design - and this is why I think that:

Regent Bali was a pipeline project under Regent before it was inherited by IHG and as it is still technically under development, I would fully expect IHG to have gone in to tweak the design to incorporate the new brand tenets. I read a feature piece recently about Regent Phu Quoc, also a legacy Regent that IHG picked up with the brand acquisition, and even though it was fully designed back in 2016 and was being developed along those lines, the new design cues of the brand have been woven in in the form of patterned pillows and feature pieces that will respect the smooth and restrained aesthetic - yet it will still be a true Regent. As it should be - Phu Quoc will be the first new-build Regent to open under IHG, and as such other legacy projects that are still under construction like Bali and Jakarta will fit into the new direction, as will every new Regent going forward [for the record, the current pipeline includes Bali, Chengdu, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Phu Quoc, Riyadh, Kuala Lumpur and Kyoto; Hong Kong may be a restoration from the InterContinental to its Regent roots, but at the expense they are pouring into the project - 300 million dollars - it might as well be a new build].

khabah
The Regent Bali that had been in the pipeline during Formosa's ownership was the Regent in Sanur. It closed after over a year of operation and was rebranded into Fairmont Sanur in 2014 (now independent). From what I gather, the prices they were charging were too high for the area... I remember when it opened, it had attempted to make waves with its numerous frills like complimentary laundry and refreshments, along with very large rooms and Rolls Royce transfers (and consequently being much higher priced than surrounding hotels). But unfortunately for Formosa, Regent isn't a brand many people associate with exclusivity and prestige anymore, and with a location like Sanur, the hotel realistically can't command the prices it charged.

Having said that, I do agree in the sense that the renderings look rather unRegent-like. I've been staying at Regents for a while now, and in my opinion, Regent's colour palette has always come across more like warm shades of brown instead of blues or greens. Granted, I've only stayed at the old 'legacy' Regents, Formosa's Regent Sanur, as well as the hotels that later opened as a Four Seasons.

Like you, I was very delighted to hear of IHG's plans to reflag the HK IC back into a Regent. I recall Formosa's Steven Pan one time saying that he really longed for a property that shares a similar characteristic and location as the IC. Of course, that was practically impossible then, but lo and behold, the grand dame is coming back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.