Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Points Devaluation ***January 25th***

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
For this promo I need three nights booked with bonus points packages.

However, none of the hotels I am looking at seem to offer them!

Have these bonus points packages been pulled? Can anyone provide an example of a hotel offering them?

Even if I book via https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/de...points-package I cannot see them on the 10 or so hotels I looked at.

Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Originally Posted by hurrykane
For the Kimpton people, not many changes, and most of them positive.

Kimpton Changes

Kimpton De Witt (Amsterdam) 50k -> 55k
Thanks, locked down for a night on the 4th of April for 50k, plus HI Amsterdam (20-25K)
saved me 10k there
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer

Have these bonus points packages been pulled? Can anyone provide an example of a hotel offering them?

Even if I book via https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/de...points-package I cannot see them on the 10 or so hotels I looked at.

Thanks.
same thing for me. i've emailed IHG and am waiting for their reply.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.

Thanks.
A lot seem to have been pulled, however there are still a couple knocking around.

For example the CP at MAN airport has the (extortionately priced) ' PSG DBB 2000 POINTS' rate still listed.

https://bit.ly/2AHCpNZ

BM
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:58 am
Suspended

Thanks.
Which location? We can check for you. It could be a glitch.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I really think they should give more notice of these devaluations. That would be fair play. One place where I will need a hotel is a HIX in Valencia, and there will be a 5k point increase there. But I have declined to book a points rate now because it costs only EUR65 a night, so not worth burning 40,000 points (at the moment) for 2 nights. Getting increasingly difficult to get any value out of IHG points.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
A devaluation is different than pricing going up from supply and demand of desirable locations
a 25% rise in significant amount of NA properties for points is a devaluation.

Most of Florida and good bit of DFW / HOU can’t be claimed as a rise in demand given softening hotel demand nationally.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Who isn't devaluing this year

Every chain seems to be Devaluing for the past 5 years or so. This frankly does not surprise me.
tbm13, puchong and Flyertalker1 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
Every chain seems to be Devaluing for the past 5 years or so. This frankly does not surprise me.
IHG is printing money, churning out points in promotions. They aren't a charity, so I guess inflation is inevitable.

Those who qualify for the hand-outs are just about standing still in terms of overall benefit from the system.

Much more worrying is when they devalue the status-related benefits of the programme
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
not so bad....there are about half a dozen properties where i typically use points....only 1 has gone up by 5k points while the rest remain the same....
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Much more worrying is when they devalue the status-related benefits of the programme

Yes...which they HAVE ALREADY been doing for years.
Other programs like Hilton and Accor have been adding benefits for higher tier members such as free freakfasts, lounge access, status matches, and free points transfers.
IHG is the only hotel loyalty program which has been removing benefits each year, rather than adding them.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Yes...which they HAVE ALREADY been doing for years.
Other programs like Hilton and Accor have been adding benefits for higher tier members such as free freakfasts, lounge access, status matches, and free points transfers.
IHG is the only hotel loyalty program which has been removing benefits each year, rather than adding them.
That is unfair.

IHG did add 'one free night' and 'guaranteed 2 breakfast in location without lounge' to RAs while removing others. So they did add something.

And so far, they have not removed any benefit for Spire yet (because there isn't any!!).
Flyertalker1 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by chongcao
That is unfair.

IHG did add 'one free night' and 'guaranteed 2 breakfast in location without lounge' to RAs while removing others. So they did add something.

Most of us here are not RA level members...and those who are, have to constantly maintain & read a very long thread on flyertalk collecting and analysing endless cryptic mini clues as how much they have to spend to become (or stay) an RA member, because IHG refuses to publicy say what the exact spending criteria is.
puchong likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Concerto
I really think they should give more notice of these devaluations. That would be fair play. One place where I will need a hotel is a HIX in Valencia, and there will be a 5k point increase there. But I have declined to book a points rate now because it costs only EUR65 a night, so not worth burning 40,000 points (at the moment) for 2 nights. Getting increasingly difficult to get any value out of IHG points.
The greatest redemption value I've ever seen was IC Park Lane on NYE. Cash rate for Classic room was Ł1380, but was available briefly for 70'000 points.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by chongcao
That is unfair.

That could well be tongue in cheek , but in case it isn't...

...the breakfast was already in place at those club-less IC's I stayed at, either under the "something-or-other experience" initiative or simply as a gesture of common sense. Perhaps I was lucky.

And the way the "one free night" thing is structured, it's basically more points rather than a service perk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.