Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador Experiences 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
InterContinental Hotels Presidente Cancun Resort

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
1 King Bed Resort Suite Lagoon View -> Suite (everything in the same room) with sea view and terrace
How are the rooms?
Nice big room but again I am surprised they called this a suite given there was zero doors apart to the corridor..
How is the exec. lounge?
The exec lounge was included in the rate or offered as an upgrade. It's a bit of a weird setup where you have a spacious room with a desk to the lounge and another desk facing the lobby. It sports a terrace. Drinks were fine, canapés were okay, service was good
What was good and what was bad?
Good: Size of room and views, beach and pool area.
Bad: It has an older hotel feeling and it's in the hotel area - but then again I suppose so are all other Cancun hotels
Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
It wasn't cheap but all in all why not.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
InterContinental Hotels Presidente Merida

1 King Bed Suite -> the same I assume
How are the rooms?
Decently furnished proper suite. A/C might've had some problems keeping up. Huge bathroom
How is the exec. lounge?
The exec lounge was included in the rate or offered as an upgrade. It is actually ... pretty bad. During the stay no other patrons visited the lounge - either because they felt the same or they didn't have access. Therefore it's impossible to say how long the nibbles are out there in the mornings and evenings. Drinks were hidden in the kitchen and thus required club manager to go fetch each time. Frustrating for both of us, I'm sure.
Good: The suite was nice, the hotel has a historical palacio feeling to it, although perhaps in need of a touch up. The location is next to several other hotels.
Bad: Doesn't really feel like an IC.
It wasn't cheap for a town like Merida. Don't think I will.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
IC Berlin

Initially booked a superior room in the global sale for €94 per night average (5 night stay over UK August Bank Hol).

Emailed hotel to ask how much for Club. Was initially quoted something like €120. I pushed back noting I could book a club room now basically for an €86 supplement. Hotel said Global Sales rate is not flexible so you can’t change categories but as an exception they would charge me €88 per night supplement for Club in advance, which is apparently the special Amb rate for an on the day space available upsell.

Room category changed to 1 Bed Club IC 2 Pers, which is more expensive than Club Superior or Club Deluxe and is described as an exec room in the full description. That is what I received.

How are the rooms?
Felt to me like a Deluxe Room - 8th floor close to Club lounge with very nice view - so was very happy with this as I think it was technically a double upgrade and IC Berlin in my experience is very strict with one cat upgrade.

How is the exec. lounge?
It’s been a few years since I was there & I am going to buck the trend and say I think it has got better:-

1) Breakfast seems more extensive than I remember with menu hot options or a substantial buffet of hot & continental options.

2) Afternoon tea seems to be just sweet items but no sandwiches. I am sure they used to have mini sandwiches.

3) Evening cocktails - I was happy as they now have Hendricks gin on free pour in bar, and Thomas Henry tonic rather than schweppes. Cucumber (for Hendricks gin), lime & lemon was out on the counter. There was champagne as well as sparkling wine on offer too. Cocktails are served 5-8pm so 3 hours, which is generous.

Good cheese selection and the hot canapes were of a very good quality - unsure if these were tasters from Hugos (Dubai rotates each night with hot tasters from a featured restaurant so not sure if that’s what they were doing here). I appreciate there is a reduction in overall food, but keeping in mind this is meant to be a premium drinks service with nibbles rather than an all you can eat buffet, I thought what was on offer was better in quality than what went before, even if there was less of it.

The lounge was as busy as I’ve seen it in the evenings - this is a big hotel & I suspect having to open this to RAs can’t have helped. For the first few days there was a family with child that would run around the lounge, including during cocktails. That was annoying.

Service was a bit hit / miss depending on who was on duty. There was a lady who seemed to be in charge and who I vaguely recognised from previous visits - she was very good - attentive, good balance between chatting & letting you get on with it and just very capable - she seemed to be able to man the front desk, do breakfast coffee / a la carte orders, clear tables, restock the buffet all whilst maintaining a sense of total calm and professional demeanour.

A gentleman with glasses who was on some evenings was a real standout as he was more proactive in offering canapes and generally checking in on people to make sure they were happy. There were a few others who were all good.

One evening, a younger guy was on and I was ignored for about 20 minutes as he was in deep conversation with a colleague - he checked up on a big group on adjacent area, and totally ignored me.

I went up and ordered the hot option and that came no problem - only person out of 5 nights who didn’t run through what they were. Again, he was very friendly to others so I may have inadvertently done something to offend him, or it may be he was less confident communicating in English (to be frank I think he was only really interacting with German speaking tables).

It’s a great hotel and I have visited regularly over the years. So many good points - reception, Marlene Bar, housekeeping, reservations, Club staff (overall), and it is consistent - it generally doesn’t have ‘off days’. They are clear about what you will get and then they deliver it.

No negatives on this stay - for me, as close to perfect as you can get really!

Good value at €94! The €88 per room is good if there are two of you - as that’s €44 each so if you take the breakfast and cocktails plus a few coffees during the day then I think you do get value.

For me, I had wanted to see what had changed in Club lounge as I tend not to include it and as good as it is, if a solo traveller you can get just as good service in the Marlene Bar (or indeed elsewhere in Berlin!)

I’ve looked back at my emails and when I was an RA back in 2015, they quoted me €45 a night supplement for lounge, which is a steal.
turner32 likes this.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Aug 27, 2019 at 1:24 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:24 am

City View Suite. This is what I got...eventually
How are the rooms?
Excellent as you would expect in a suite. Feel you are almost on the O2 building it is so close. 2 separate rooms, table and chairs, minibar etc. Great bathroom.
How is the exec. lounge?
Lovely- great views from all sides of the Thames and Canary Wharf. Two big rooms , lots of nice magazines and books about London too. Nice canapies,total self pour and unusually a decent beer selection too. timings are a bit sharp though - 5-7 for food and drink in the evening only.
Good - Suite and exec lounge
Bad- - room not ready at 4PM- waited in a (closed lounge) of over an hour for room to be ready. Assume another Amb on a late checkout but even so...No real apology, got the Ł15 credit on bar but nothing else. Hotel was quiet and nothing on a the O2. Bars virtually empty at 9pm

I think it was VFM as I booked early but didnt have a great customer experience. Booked for London City for a flight the next morning but actually not that convenient- either 2 tube/DLR trips or Ł20 cab to the airport through the blackwall tunnel.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:03 am

InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown

1 King Superior. I booked two nights on a paid rate, and had a Chase Anniversary Night to use as well. I was upgraded to a larger room, but I couldn't tell you the name. It was big, but the extra space was mostly "walking" space. It was fine, with views of...well, tall buildings all around.
How are the rooms?
The room was fine. Shower and separate tub. Clean. Housekeeping came so late in the day that I finally just said "forget it", I don't really need you to do anything.
How is the exec. lounge?
I did not have access to the lounge with my rate. I did however go inside to pick up a newspaper mid-afternoon: the Ambassador free newspaper benefit never arrived so I decided to grab one myself. I probably could have just stayed in the lounge and waited for service to start but that would be cheating.
Good: Hotel is new and clean and nice. I tried two of the bar/restaurants and the food was OK (sushi) and quite good (happy hour bar food).
Bad: As many have stated, the elevators take quite some getting used to. There are normally some porters to help guide you around, but it can still be a little confusing. I had repeated problems with my room keys not working, but ultimately got it worked out. I thought the fitness centre was excellent and the pool was also good. I did not have trouble getting a lounge chair.
I was there on a busy summer weekend and I guess the price is normal for LA. There is a resort/destination charge (bad) that is partially offset by a daily $20 f/b credit (good). Plus the $20 credit for Ambassador status. A single drink at the lobby bar will use up that credit, to be honest. However, happy hour at the bar at the main restaurant had some good food and drink values. I was able to use my Chase night, so I thought that was a good value. I would return again.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:57 pm

Thumbs up Stayed April 2019, my experience

IC Presidente Mexico City

Booked a King Club Chapultepec View room using AMB BOGO weekend night and point booking for a Polanco view King room and stayed three night. Upgraded to Chapultepec View suite room upon check in. Staying the same room (suite with club access) for 3rd night (point booking) by paying $75 (this was offered when I checked in). Received a shot glass pottery as AMB gift and there were fruits and a bottled water in the living room. Water was replenished every day. Nespresso machine was in the room too (which I love to have when I travel.) Check in was at the manager's desk just off the front desk (not at the club lounge like other properties).

How are the rooms?

Very nice! View of Chapultepec was spectacular (basically same view as the one from club lounge). Only thing missing was a bath tub but shower area was big! There was additional powder room by the living room which was convenient.

How is the exec. lounge?

Good breakfast selections and evening snacks / sweets. Service was good too.

Good: Club lounge and overall service at property. This is also a perfect location for visiting Anthropology museum (less than 10 minutes walk) and we used Uber to go to other areas.

Bad: Really cant't think of anything, but we requested for an early check in at 11am which was not granted. We stored our bags with clerk and went for lunch at nearby Ceviche restaurant (really good) and checked in around 2:30pm.

Excellent & YES!!!
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by exFA; Aug 30, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown

1 King Suite. Booked using my AMB Weekend Certificate. Upgraded to a 1 King Executive Suite
How are the rooms?
Very impressive. Large corner suite on the 55th floor with a living room area, king sized bed, separate tub and shower in the large bathroom
How is the exec. lounge?
I didn't go
Good: Location works well if you want to be downtown. Staff were to a man excellent. Friendly and helpful at all avenues and pleasant to be around. The pool are and its bar are pretty nice as is the lobby bar. The 70th floor lobby is a great place to hang out too.
Bad: Valet parking. You drop off at the lower lobby level but have to go to P1 to pick up your car which means an extra elevator after the two from the room. Each time I'd called about my car and when I got there they couldn't find it. Also my bill was incorrect.
It's an expensive hotel, even with the free night my one night plus two nights valet and a few drinks cost me $600. However, it was one of the nicest US hotels I've stayed at, I'd like to come back.
FLYGVA and Kalboz like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: BMI
Intercontinental Tokyo Bay

InterContinental Tokyo Bay, Japan

What is your IHG Status?

Platinum Ambassador

1 bed king superior, river view (prepaid - 1 night) and back to back booking of 1 bed king superior (free - UK credit card benefit)

Upgrade to Premium Bay view Executive Room (with lounge access) - refurbished

How are the rooms?
Fairly spacious with river views, separate couch. Refurbished rooms with new 'first class' bedding. Bathrooms had been refurbished too but I didn't particularly like the design so it still looked slightly aged.

How is the exec. lounge?
Ok - got fairly busy on the afternoon tea time with food being served. Nothing extremely exciting, a few veg based sushi, soup, deep fried things, small (relatively low quality) cakes, snacks and drinks.

Upgraded room for both nights even though second night on separate booking was a completely free reward night. Upgrade to executive club with access. Breakfast in the club has an omelette station. Views aren't bad with the bay area. There is a subway station connected to the hotel but it's not the most convenient of lines as it usually requires an interchange or a long walk to get somewhere useful. There is a regular shuttle bus service which we used to take us to a better connected station. USD20 of ambassador food credit was good, managed to get three pretty small cakes from the New York cake shop on the reception floor.

Paid GBP167 for the first night and second night was free. Good value given the upgrade to the executive room with club access. The hotel itself whilst having some refurbished rooms was a little tired. The fitness room was shockingly poor looking unloved and lacking any real equipment.

I probably wouldn't return as I found much more modern new hotels in Tokyo in better locations for around the same price.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:20 pm

InterContinental Hayman Island

InterContinental Hayman Island, Australia

Booked Lagoon Ocean View King Room, upgraded to Lagoon Ocean View King Suite

How are the rooms?
Really nice. It was light-filled, comfortable, stylish, and huge. It had an ocean view as promised; large bedroom with a TV, closet/dressing room, master bath with shower, separate tub, toilet, double vanity; double balcony with bistro table/chairs and a comfy reading chair; lounge room had a huge couch, a few big and comfy chairs, another TV, a round table with four chairs, a bar area with fridge and coffee/tea fixings, and a half bath.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

The property just reopened in July after being hit by Cyclone Debbie in 2017.

Good: gorgeous location, gorgeous property, big pools, very swimmable beach, a number of free activities, and several additional activities for various charges.

Bad: they were definitely still working on the service/logistics/staffing aspects after just reopening. Service tended to be slow across the restaurants, and there are only two options for dinner. Housekeeping only came in the late afternoon or early evening.

Reasonable value given it's a high-end resort. I used my Ambassador BOGO certificate, and there was a promotion that brought the room rate down a bit for the other nights and included breakfast. We definitely enjoyed our stay overall, but for an InterContinental at that price point, I expected to be bowled overand wasn't. I hope to return to Australia again, but probably wouldn't go back to Hayman just because there are so many other places to visit.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:43 pm

InterContinental Sydney

InterContinental Sydney, Australia
We stayed here twice, both at the beginning and at the end of our recent trip to Australia.

Booked King Deluxe Eastern Harbour View Room, upgraded to King Harbour Bridge View Room for the first stay
Booked King Harbour Bridge View Room, upgraded to King Opera House View Room for the second stay

How are the rooms?
The first room was a corner room, 20th floor, great views of the whole harbour including the bridge and Opera House. The second room was the room next door, but on the 28th floor. I don't think the view was substantially better. The corner room had more windows (but facing a construction site, not the harbour). The website says they are the same size. Both rooms had bed, desk, window seat, lounge chair, small-ish bathroom. Overall, very nice (just not sure what the second room had that the first didn't to make it a category higher).

How is the exec. lounge?
I did not have access

Good: convenient location just off Circular Quay, gorgeous views, good sized rooms.

Bad: I requested early arrival for first stay, but was not surprised that room was not ready when we arrived at 9:30 am. We left our luggage, freshened up in the locker room, headed out. They said they would text me when the room was ready. We finally came back about 2:00 because we were beat, and the room was ready. No idea if had been ready earlier, but I would loved to have been notified that it was. The TV in our second room did not work, but we were only there for 2 nights and didn't bother to report the problem until check out.

Pretty good value for a great location, and I would return.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: BRK-B
InterContinental Park Lane

Booked classic room (AMB free night) and upgraded to deluxe.

How are the rooms?
The room itself is very nice, everything works fine

How is the exec. lounge?
Went to take a look, but didn't use. Nice high ceiling room.

Good: The deluxe room. I had a drink at the Arch bar and the Mexican bartender is very nice!

Bad: The service is not good. The lady (Asian but neither Thai nor Western Asian) at the check-in did not inform me of the benefits of Ambassador at the hotel, did not inform about complimentary newspaper delivery, did not hand out the discount voucher for Ambassador. Another problem is, there are some ladies claiming my name and room number at the Arch bar for drinks and the hotel did not even check the ID and let the bill gone through to my account, what a world class hotel! I have to inform the manager to remove that from my account. Late point posting. After all of this, I got one free breakfast.

It cost around Ł350 to Ł525 for a classic room which is too expensive, for about Ł300 I would rather go to nearby Hilton, for Ł525 or even more I would rather go to the Ritz. No more stay at this hotel, I will never come back.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:49 am

Intercontinental Sofia

Booked a standard points room on PointBreaks for 15k. Upon arrival was upgraded to an executive suite which could accommodate a large sofa bed.

How are the rooms?
The room was in great condition. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower. The standard of the furnishings was quite good. (Aside: this used to a be a Radisson some years ago and it has been completely refurbished, soup to nuts. Much nicer now.)

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A - didn't use

Good: The staff were extremely helpful and kind. When our flight to DOH was cancelled we were welcomed back into the same room we had departed just hours earlier. Nice drinks at the bar and I found the food at the restaurant to be OK. Quick taxi ride from the Airport.
Bad: Nothing, really.

For 15k points it was a steal. I think even paid rates are not bad. I would definitely return. With SOF a cheap departure point for QR flights via DOH, this is a no-brainer.
FLYGVA and koriobg like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
IC Hanoi Landmark 72

IC Hanoi Landmark 72

Booked a King Deluxe and got upgraded to a King Club Room, ofcourse without the Club Benefits.

How are the rooms?

Amazing room! Very spacious and a fantastic view. Everything is in great condition and seems to be brand new.

The Club Rooms are located at the 70th floor. Illy coffee machine with 4 capsules.

Well stocked minibar and a big flatscreen TV. USB powerports everywere.

Bathroom with a bit bathtub and a seperate shower. From the bathtub you can watch all over the city.

How is the exec. lounge?

N/A

+ 11 AM Check in;
+ 6 PM check out;
+ Great Room!
+ All Ambassador benefits honoured, including 280 VND F&B Credit, 20% off F&B, upgrade, welcome points, etc.;
- location isn't ideal as you have to take a 25 minute rode to the Old Quarter.

Booked for 15/K points with pointbreaks. Very, very nice redemption. Wild cash rates at ~ € 85,00 in the weekends I would consider to come back.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:34 pm

IC Chicago

Intercontinental Chicago

Booked a standard room, received a corner room on the 31st floor.

How are the rooms?
Very nice, overall. The carpet is slightly tired, but the decor is minimal and relaxing, the bed was comfortable, the view of Chicago is spectacular, the blinds worked very well. The bathroom was quite large, having a separate glass corner shower and a huge tub with lots of floor space.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A - didn't use

Good: The room, the bar/restaurant is good, all employees smiled and seemed happy to be there.
Bad: Finding the car entrance, which is on lower Michigan and is somewhat daunting if you're not familiar with Chicago. You can hear the street noise (sirens, mostly).

​​​
I would definitely return. It's a lovely old hotel with marble and beautiful masonry and large rooms. I was able to use a Chase Free Night Award to book this room, and was able to use the $20 bar credit and also a free drink as my amenity, so I felt I definitely got my money's worth for it.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:18 pm

IC Amsterdam

What is your IHG Status?
Platinum Ambassador

Stayed at the hotel twice, both times booked a Standard room, was given a King river-view as an upgrade both times.
Needed a extra bed for one night and was waived a 75 euro free for an extra bed/guest as Ambassador.
Tip- 4th Floor rooms are larger than the rest of the hotel even for the same room type.

How are the rooms?
Rooms are large specially for Amsterdam standards, bathrooms are large with great quality robes.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge at this property

Good- All the staff were amazing very helpful in every way, great breakfast, good food and great views from the restaurants.
Cons- A little far from central.

Absolutely, great value for points, cash price can be a little too much at certain dates.
FLYGVA and FlyerTalker324193 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.