Closing IHG Card

Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
I stay at different Hotels; Marriott, Hilton even Best Western. But I got this card specifically for Intercontinental Hotels.

Got a couple months to think about it anyways.
Well, depending on your anniversary date, I'd suggest waiting before you close your card, if you do end up doing so. AFAIK, the free nights issued before May 2019 will still be unrestricted.

And, to be honest, it's a ridiculous reason to close a card just because you can't use the free nights at Intercontinental properties. Even with the 40k restriction, almost any hotel you choose to redeem your free night at will cost more than $49. Of course, the decision is up to you, and if you cancel, it'll be one less person competing for free night space.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
In addition to my earlier comments, keep in mind that Chase is not accepting new applications for the Select card. Once canceled, there is no opportunity to receive the card again. Of course, you can get the Premier, which can effectively give you multiple free nights at any IC if you have enough points since the Premier takes those 70K per night redemptions and makes them 52.5K per night (280K for four nights becomes 210K for four nights with the fourth night free). Add the 10% rebate from the Select card, and those become 47.25K per night. Thus, the combination of the two cards saves you 91K points on a four-night IC redemption.

If you've got several months before the annual fee comes due, I'd think this through before canceling. I think the Select/Premier combination is one of the best going in the hotel CC world. Forget for a moment the free night the Select offers; in the example above, the points the Select saves you would cost $105 during the current 100% point promotion sale.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
In addition to my earlier comments, keep in mind that Chase is not accepting new applications for the Select card. Once canceled, there is no opportunity to receive the card again. Of course, you can get the Premier, which can effectively give you multiple free nights at any IC if you have enough points since the Premier takes those 70K per night redemptions and makes them 52.5K per night (280K for four nights becomes 210K for four nights with the fourth night free). Add the 10% rebate from the Select card, and those become 47.25K per night. Thus, the combination of the two cards saves you 91K points on a four-night IC redemption
this is the exact reason why i have been moving my stays over to IHG. The 4th night free from the premier card + 10% rebate from the select card + 10% rebate from IC ambassador.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Are there any Intercontinental Hotels that are 40k a night?
Why IC only? I've used my free nights an HIE at Grand Canyon and HIE at Santa Cruz. Both nights were worth more than the $49 annual fee plus the added bonus of keeping our IHG points alive since this isn't our primary go to hotel chain.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by lainys
Why IC only? I've used my free nights an HIE at Grand Canyon and HIE at Santa Cruz. Both nights were worth more than the $49 annual fee plus the added bonus of keeping our IHG points alive since this isn't our primary go to hotel chain.
maybe op only stays at 4-5 star hotels. HIEs are crap compared to ICs. Either way the $49 fee is well worth the free night and point rebate IMO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.