Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you had 3.7 Million IHG point, how would you use them?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I like the idea of being charitable, but why would a hundred local dog rescuers want to spend one night in the local Holiday Inn Express?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:20 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I would just spend them in the places I was already planning to go, but I might splurge on the IC instead of the HIX.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I would probably exchange these points against 14.000 USD of IHG Mastercards and book all the hotels I wish to book getting all the upgrades and minibars I am entitled to on a revenue stay.

Reasons:

The Top IC hotels became so expensive on points. Just an example: I hardly pay more than 320 EUR for the Le Grand in Paris. It costs 70,000 on points. Calculating 4 nights would be either

- 1,280 EUR or roundabout 1,530 USD or
- 280,000 Points.

The revenue stay paid with IHG Mastercards would cost 397,800 points (1,53 * 260,000 points for a 1,000 USD Card). Using the IHG Mastercard, my direct costs would be 117,800 points higher. In exchange I get roundabout 28,000 fresh points, which brings the difference down to about 90,000 points (plus everything which is currently available as promotional points).

On top of that I get 15% Shoop Cashback, roundabout 200 USD, and all the upgrades, club and minibars I get on a revenue stay. And I do not have to check, whether or not they have award rooms available and I am further free to book higher categories. The ratio becomes even better when booking cheaper ICs in Europe or Asia.
Atacama40 and #1son like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
At the current 70,000 point top redemption amount, that's around 50-ish nights and at the more average 50,000 point properties that's 74 nights.

I could theoretically get up to 740,000 miles (5 points per mile transfer rate) for my preferred airline program and use them on lots of flights; or book flights and hotels for places I've always wanted to go.

Sample Itinerary:

- LHR - SYD - LHR on SQ Suites is 296,000 miles for a round-trip saver per person; so if you travel with some that's 2,960,000 points (1,480,000 points x 2) leaving you 740,000 points for hotels.
- Stay at the IC Sydney for say 5 nights at 60,000 points per night (leaves you with 440,000 points)
- Add in a free stopover in Singapore and stay at the IC Singapore for say 3 nights which is one of the nice properties and with the recent-ish renovation it's not bad at 50,000 points a night (290,000 points to go)
- I would book a small nested trip from SIN to BKK on a reasonable J fare [or cheapo Y, whatever your spend tolerance is] and stay at the IC Bangkok (3 nights for 120,000 points) and IC Koh Samui (3 nights for 150,000) [total of 270,000, leaving 20,000 points]

So that's ... LHR - SYD / 5 nights in IC Sydney / SYD - SIN / nested trip of SIN - BKK / 3 nights in IC Bangkok / BKK to Koh Samui / 3 nights in IC Koh Samui / BKK - SIN / 3 nights in IC Singapore / SIN - LHR

Of course this plan is subject to having the perfect storm of availability, but this is how I would personally spend the points.

Last edited by TravelwhileyouEat; Apr 28, 2018 at 9:13 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:02 pm

If only Some hotels wouldnt be so stingy when on reward nights...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I would probably exchange these points against 14.000 USD of IHG Mastercards and book all the hotels I wish to book getting all the upgrades and minibars I am entitled to on a revenue stay.
Very Interesting approach. Where can one find the option to exchange points for Mastercards? I've never seen that before.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Atacama40
I have long standing RA, have travelled most places and so am entirely open to ideas. I lean towards SE Asia as an experience and as the best provider of treatment over the years but anything goes.
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Wandering which locations you know are best cash in of points ideally with RA treatment. I read the RA treatment threads but if you were to make sure a plan?

In short if you had the points where would you go, what treatment could you expect and for how long would you go?
I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for many years, and that you have found it necessary to travel to distant places to get it treated effectively. Your desire to combine medical tourism with IHG redemption is a unique request. May I ask what RA treatment you have found beneficial in Southeast Asia? Is it not permitted by the authorities in your home country or is it simply too expensive there? Please beware of the risks of seeing unregulated foreign health care providers. On the plus side, it suggests the possibility of a new health savings plan that could be very popular, based on accumulating hotel and airline points to be used for seeking low-cost medical care overseas. I encourage you to write to your government representatives about providing suitable incentive plans to encourage others to follow your successful path of saving IHG points for a rainy day.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for many years, and that you have found it necessary to travel to distant places to get it treated effectively. Your desire to combine medical tourism with IHG redemption is a unique request. May I ask what RA treatment you have found beneficial in Southeast Asia? Is it not permitted by the authorities in your home country or is it simply too expensive there? Please beware of the risks of seeing unregulated foreign health care providers. On the plus side, it suggests the possibility of a new health savings plan that could be very popular, based on accumulating hotel and airline points to be used for seeking low-cost medical care overseas. I encourage you to write to your government representatives about providing suitable incentive plans to encourage others to follow your successful path of saving IHG points for a rainy day.
LOL.

(I'm 99% sure the "RA" here is "Royal Ambassador," the highest level of elite status within IHG's Intercontinental brand.)
Old May 1, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
There's a staybridge suites on the south bank in London which goes for 40k ( also one in midtown Manhattan that was 40 but now upto 50 ) which is good price... by my math you could stay 92 nights there LOL.

While I don't think a 3 month vacation is possible for most ( unless maybe retired or something ), I would say do a month or so why not. Some of the staybridges are actually quite nice, sure no IC but living more normal life ( e.g. going to grocery store to get food drinks ) allows you to really get a taste of the city rather than just living in an IC glass tower. Don't get me wrong I love the IC Barclay and Park Lane. just my point here is sure you can take another vacation and blow week here week there at bunch of ICs, but what I always feel is we travel all these places for work travel and just seem to zoom by everything. I always think to myself man I'd love to check this out or that etc etc and the only way to really experience that is to spend time there. These megacities like NY, London & many others around globe just have so much to see so why not immerse like a local; dig in for a month and just do what the locals do. ( of course save the other few million points for those IC weeks ).

Just a few tips. ( ughh yes I speak from experience here, actually grew up in London area but live states now and really got to know NYC by doing a stay like such )

1/ if possible survey the place first, do a one night stay or something just to really check it out... you just never really know until get there. (e.g. some staybridge just give breakfast but some also 5-7 dinner or snacks and it varies a lot by location: many are almost like HIX fake food, but some are great- the one in London Stratford was better than some IC club lounges )

2/ when you do check in for a month buy yourself a good mattress topper from the local Macy's or whatnot; if you're staying for a month that might just be the best $100 you'll ever spend!

3/ don't just make one flat booking, maybe make 3 or 4 week long bookings so have some flexibility to cancel part of stay just in case, even after initial check in since flex rate rules

And, last but not least: whatever you plan to do it's better earlier than later as the points value are just going to continue devaluation

e.g. staybridge Manhattan
couple years back =35k
last year = 40k
currently, after latest devaluation = 50k

And, ?????? can you apply for the chase travler credit card so every 4th night free...

Last edited by somedudefromFLa; May 1, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 9:09 pm
Suspended

IHG has a Latin American award sale going on right now for as low as 15,000 points per night at Intercontinental and 12,500 at Crowne Plaza. 3.7 million points would go a long way there. (Thirty nights at the Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo wouldn't even cost 10% of the 3.7 million.)
Atacama40 likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
How did you managed to stack up 3.7 million points thats amazing! How long did this take you?
Old May 2, 2018, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

Reasons:

The Top IC hotels became so expensive on points. Just an example: I hardly pay more than 320 EUR for the Le Grand in Paris. It costs 70,000 on points. Calculating 4 nights would be either

- 1,280 EUR or roundabout 1,530 USD or
- 280,000 Points.

The revenue stay paid with IHG Mastercards would cost 397,800 points (1,53 * 260,000 points for a 1,000 USD Card). Using the IHG Mastercard, my direct costs would be 117,800 points higher. In exchange I get roundabout 28,000 fresh points, which brings the difference down to about 90,000 points (plus everything which is currently available as promotional points).

On top of that I get 15% Shoop Cashback, roundabout 200 USD, and all the upgrades, club and minibars I get on a revenue stay. And I do not have to check, whether or not they have award rooms available and I am further free to book higher categories. The ratio becomes even better when booking cheaper ICs in Europe or Asia.

Very interesting proposition. Not familiar with the 'exchange to Mastercard' that you mention but needless to say very interested to understand more about that.

You clearly have a robust understand about how to get the best out of point. Appreciated
Old May 2, 2018, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tessy143
How did you managed to stack up 3.7 million points thats amazing! How long did this take you?
Way to much time away from home work wise ... mainly in Europe but also Japan and ME, 4 nights a week for way too many years. That said for the first 10 years, I was collecting BA miles before being steered by someone at an IC that it might be better get the hotel points. So would say the main body of those points were 98-2008 roughly. Trying wind it down now in the never ending ramp down to retirement and being recognised at home!!!
Old May 2, 2018, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami
IHG has a Latin American award sale going on right now for as low as 15,000 points per night at Intercontinental and 12,500 at Crowne Plaza. 3.7 million points would go a long way there. (Thirty nights at the Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo wouldn't even cost 10% of the 3.7 million.)
Interesting one Joe and not an area I'm greatly familiar with either. Definitely worth a look, thanks for sharing that. Got a long flight early morning so will do some modelling on that data whilst up.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Quality! ^ .... fortunately my wooden leg is not on the prohibited items list for Vietnam so it could be an option. I take it you have not been a beneficiary of the NHS in the UK

I also heard that they include 'Du huo' and an acupuncture voucher in the minibar for RA's in IC BKK recent times ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.