Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Premier 20% rebate for Points Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by blitzen
So I emailed IHG (why not) spelling out that I want my credit (I know Chase is on the hook, but something else needed to be taken care of 2 in 1 email)

Here is their answer:
Moreover, with regards to your 20% discount, I'm really sorry but as per the program guidelines, the benefit could not be combined with another promotion. Since you already received the 80% bonus points, I'm sorry if the 20% discount could no longer be added.
So at this point I would dispute the entire charge with Chase.
That will get the attention of someone other than a front line CS employee and perhaps get this resolved.

Sorry your going through this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by rebadc
So at this point I would dispute the entire charge with Chase.
That will get the attention of someone other than a front line CS employee and perhaps get this resolved.

Sorry your going through this.
It will play itself out. Surprisingly enough the points I purchased are not in my account ... from memory that was usually almost instant wasn't it ... something is wrong with the Chase <> IHG <> POINTS computer system.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:17 pm

Please keep us updated on any progress with this. I am also interested in buying points -- but only if I get both the 80% bonus and 20% discount. This is a big reason for why signed up for the card in the first place! I will definitely be filing a CFPB complaint if the 20% discount is not available on all purchases (though unfortunately I don't think the agency has the teeth it did in the past).

Good luck!
Old May 5, 2018, 7:07 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Any update?
Old May 5, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Not from me.

Chase stopped responding to PM from me one this issue
Old May 6, 2018, 6:41 pm
JII

I'm having the same issue, I emailed IHG and got the run around by like 5 different people. I called today, and spoke to someone about it; I told her the same situation (bought 100,000 points for $1,000; received 80,000 bonus points, and still charged full amount), was put on hold for 5 minutes, and she came back with the whole "the terms say if there is a better offer (80%) than the 20%, then the better offer applies, and you don't get the discount." so I told her I don't see those in any of the terms I read on the buy points website, or in my credit card terms. She asked if I wanted the terms sent to me or whatever, and I said yea email it to me thanks. Its the end of the day, no email. I'm calling tomorrow to talk to a supervisor at IHG to push the issue more, and then submitting a CFPB complaint if it doesn't get resolved.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JII
I'm having the same issue, I emailed IHG and got the run around by like 5 different people. I called today, and spoke to someone about it; I told her the same situation (bought 100,000 points for $1,000; received 80,000 bonus points, and still charged full amount), was put on hold for 5 minutes, and she came back with the whole "the terms say if there is a better offer (80%) than the 20%, then the better offer applies, and you don't get the discount." so I told her I don't see those in any of the terms I read on the buy points website, or in my credit card terms. She asked if I wanted the terms sent to me or whatever, and I said yea email it to me thanks. Its the end of the day, no email. I'm calling tomorrow to talk to a supervisor at IHG to push the issue more, and then submitting a CFPB complaint if it doesn't get resolved.
Hi thanks for calling IHG. Did you talk to IHG only or Chase too? Not sure if the CFPB will handle IHG or if they only handle banks etc. Personally I will not file an CFPB against Chase as I want to stay off their radar for a while
Old May 7, 2018, 12:37 pm
JII

Hi thanks for calling IHG. Did you talk to IHG only or Chase too? Not sure if the CFPB will handle IHG or if they only handle banks etc. Personally I will not file an CFPB against Chase as I want to stay off their radar for a while
Just IHG. I think the key is in the terms it says save AT LEAST 20%. So really it might just be deceptively worded. I might call and try to get additional bonus points or something as consolation. As for CFPB I will think it through, because if it came down on Chase but IHG needed to fix it, then I think Chase would reach out to IHG for a resolution.

I just looked it up on another website, and according to it these are the terms of the offer (because I bought points I can't pull up the page anymore)

Offer available for purchases made between 12:00 AM ET April 18, 2018, and 11:59 PM ET May 31, 2018, inclusive. This is an exclusive, non-transferable offer for the intended recipient only and may not be forwarded. Bonus points will be awarded upon completion of the transaction. Bonus points will be awarded to the recipient of the points purchase. Offer is subject to change. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer.

Price includes all applicable fees. Purchased points are not refundable and are applicable toward all IHG® Rewards Club awards. Members may purchase a maximum of 100,000 points per calendar year and receive as a gift a maximum of 100,000 points per calendar year. Please allow 72 hours for points to post and appear in the recipient’s account. All other IHG® Rewards Club Terms and Conditions apply.

Last edited by JII; May 7, 2018 at 12:48 pm Reason: Added Terms
Old May 7, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JII
Just IHG. I think the key is in the terms it says save AT LEAST 20%. So really it might just be deceptively worded. I might call and try to get additional bonus points or something as consolation. As for CFPB I will think it through, because if it came down on Chase but IHG needed to fix it, then I think Chase would reach out to IHG for a resolution.

I just looked it up on another website, and according to it these are the terms of the offer (because I bought points I can't pull up the page anymore)

Offer available for purchases made between 12:00 AM ET April 18, 2018, and 11:59 PM ET May 31, 2018, inclusive. This is an exclusive, non-transferable offer for the intended recipient only and may not be forwarded. Bonus points will be awarded upon completion of the transaction. Bonus points will be awarded to the recipient of the points purchase. Offer is subject to change. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer.

Price includes all applicable fees. Purchased points are not refundable and are applicable toward all IHG® Rewards Club awards. Members may purchase a maximum of 100,000 points per calendar year and receive as a gift a maximum of 100,000 points per calendar year. Please allow 72 hours for points to post and appear in the recipient’s account. All other IHG® Rewards Club Terms and Conditions apply.
I think you are reading it wrong:
1) you purchased points from IHG (using points.com) getting 80% bonus points and you didn't combine it with any offer from IHG
2) Chase promised you minimum 20% savings (not to be confused with bonus points) on points purchased
3) for the points purchase IHG is your contractual partner
4) for the rebate using your Credit Card the responsible party is Chase (and nothing in the terms said that the "savings" rebate ... is not valid if one gets bonus points)
The only reason I asked IHG is because I had a problem (points didn't post) so I included it but the one who needs to be called/PM'ed is Chase
Old May 18, 2018, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Did anyone receive the 20% off
Old May 23, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Anyone with more positive/negative reports
Old May 24, 2018, 1:42 pm

Anyone with more positive/negative reports
My thinking is that this can’t be pushed any further with Chase until after the current IHG ‘buy points with 80% bonus promo’ ends on May 31. Once that is over, it will be interesting to see if anyone receives a 20% discount or rebate from Chase on IHG point purchases. (I’m not going to hold my breath anyway.) If nothing changes after May, then I think Chase is going to hear about it big time as that would clearly be false advertising for that card feature.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:37 am
Original Poster

IHG somehow felt responsible (contacted them more to get an argument that I could present to Chase) and they offered me bonus points
Old May 25, 2018, 7:00 am

IHG somehow felt responsible (contacted them more to get an argument that I could present to Chase) and they offered me bonus points
Interesting. Was it a random amount of points? Or maybe based on a percentage of points that you recently purchased?
Old May 25, 2018, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dadofsix

Interesting. Was it a random amount of points? Or maybe based on a percentage of points that you recently purchased?
Their first offer was 6000 points as they could not refund me 20% ($80) which was totally unacceptable and only makes sense as if you would buy points $80 would get you 6000 (but I bought 40k and got 80% on top so 20% savings would be fictual $500 purchase as this would be $400 net > 90k points vs 72k at $400 = 18k difference equal 20% savings)
But as there were more problems with the points purchase I got more in the end (not mentioning the amount as it was not 100% related to 20% off only). Was less that I was hoping for but in the end not worth wasting more time over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.