Anyone shifting stays to IHG due to new Marriott program

Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Anyone shifting stays to IHG due to new Marriott program

I've been splitting my stays between IHG and Marriott. IHG's been good with earning and burning points. With the new Marriott program, I'll be at gold status. I'll lose breakfast/lounge, and more importantly 4pm late checkout (to 2pm based on availability). I'm digesting the new Marriott program in and figuring out how it impacts me. Anyone in a similar situation and can provide insight?

Also, the new IHG Premier card seems better than the new Marriott/SPG card offerings.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Definitely flirting with both IHG and Accor for the next few months. I like ICs and I'm hoping Kimpton is better than my last stay with them, but other than that it's the lukewarm CP here and there - no other brands really interest me. Hence, I don't think IHG can ever be my primary program. I'll be staying in an iconic IC this weekend, though
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:43 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:47 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:58 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I always got 4 pm with Intercontinental and 2 pm with holiday inn
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
I've been splitting my stays between IHG and Marriott. IHG's been good with earning and burning points. With the new Marriott program, I'll be at gold status. I'll lose breakfast/lounge, and more importantly 4pm late checkout (to 2pm based on availability). I'm digesting the new Marriott program in and figuring out how it impacts me. Anyone in a similar situation and can provide insight?

Also, the new IHG Premier card seems better than the new Marriott/SPG card offerings.
Not true assuming you are "earned MR-G" from 50nights during 2017, then come August you swap to become New ME-50night-Plat with Lounge/Upgrade benefits.

1. Current/Old MR-Gold needs 50nights,
2. New MR-Plat needs same 50nights
3. Come August2018 Adjustments are being made to move existing MR+SPG elites to new Elite Cat Names ie
o OLD MR-Gold -> New MR-Platinum (So Current MR Golds will move to Plat, keep lounge access, and get New MR-Plat going forwards with same 50nights)
4. The Questionable Adjustment is going to be regards SPG-Gold for Aug2018 changes as Current SPG-Gold matches to OLD MR-Gold BUT from Aug2018 will match to New MR-Gold
o I suspect even the SPG-Golds already linked to MR or who link to MR before August will come Aug review find they get New-MR-Gold w/o Lounge/Upgrade benefits which in my mind is fair enough.
o The MR->SPG and SPG-MR for SPG/MR Golds was inequitable and wrong to begin with, SPG Golds hit jackpot gaining benefits, whilst MR Golds lost out.

ps
See John's Loyaltylobby piece from 16thApr, has two charts showing a)new MR Elite Cats and benefits ++ b)mapping of Current MR/SPG status to New Aug2018 Elite cats
https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/04/16/...e-august-2018/
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markle
You do realise that IHG doesn't offer a breakfast / lounge benefit, and that the late checkout benefit is always "subject to availability" (i.e. not guaranteed)?
Yes, I have stayed at IHG properties. I often stayed at Marriott over IHG because of breakfast/lounge and 4pm benefits. Now that I'm likely a Gold come 2019, I'm unsure if I'd stay at Marriott over IHG.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Not true assuming you are "earned MR-G" from 50nights during 2017, then come August you swap to become New ME-50night-Plat with Lounge/Upgrade benefits.
I didn't hit 50 nights at Marriott in 2017 but may have if (need to check) I didn't spilt my stays at IHG. There was no incentive to hit 50 nights at Marriott because of AXP SPG gold matched to Marriott Gold. Moving forward, not sure if it makes sense to hit 50 nights at Marriott to achieve Platinum for the bfast/ounge and 4pm late checkout. Thus, this thread...trying to digest and seeking insight.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
LTP in MR. will be trying out a few IHG properties in the next few weeks in cities where Marriott does not have full service properties. I’m disappointed in spring megabonus and since I will be in the grandfathered LTPP camp there’s no incentive for me to go out of my way to be loyal to Marriott.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you're going to be Gold in the new Marriott program then consider yourself a free agent. Gold Elite is worth basically nothing.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Keep in mind that the 50 nights you need currently for MR Gold will qualify you for the new MR Plat in the future. Yes, the benefits of new Plat are watered down compared to the current Plat, but that's beside the point. You're staying roughly equal to being Gold today. If you're not able to earn Gold today then you're Silver... and next year's Gold, though it's watered down, is still better than today's Silver. I don't see changes to the elite program as reason for MR loyalists to flock to IHG. Now, when MR keeps doing lame promos like "750 points per night starting with the third night" and IHG keeps offering substantially better deals, that would be a reason to consider shifting stays from MR to IHG.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Never was RA, but was Ambassador. The lack of benefits on award stays (most of the time) was a subpar feature that none of the other chains have.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I was Spire since its inception and also maintained Marriott Platinum pretty easily.

Marriott is removing rollover nights, which hurts to a certain degree, but I decided after staying at several JW Marriotts to let my IHG stuff go

I have 1.6 mil IHG points, but will keep the credit card and use the nightly cert as needed for family travel and points will dwindle

I just passed 70 nights for Marriott this year and should hit 150-170 by the end of the year. The big question is if I will hit 20K in spend
Courtyard providing breakfast is a big plus for me, plus residence inn and townplace suites are much nicer than IHG offerings IME

So - no, I am not abandoning Marriott after the announcement, I am even happier, so i am leaving IHG
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
Yes, I have stayed at IHG properties. I often stayed at Marriott over IHG because of breakfast/lounge and 4pm benefits. Now that I'm likely a Gold come 2019, I'm unsure if I'd stay at Marriott over IHG.
I agree with what Trooper said! The Lounge and Breakfast benefit is huge with me at Marriott. I stay over 100 nights at Marriott and it only take me 6 stays to qualify for Spire elite just staying at the 10k bonus points package! I know those aren't supposed to count but they have for me the last 2 years!

Switching and changing hotels is all what you want! For me Marriott properties are nicer but in my opinion you can earn IHG points faster then Marriott!

My concern with Marriott is the new peak vs non peak point rate when you go to redeem your points! That concerns me!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Since RA moved to IC spend only I have moved IHG nights to Marriott.

i am SPG LTP which gets me MR LTP. I should get PP this year as part of the migration of current status and earn PP or Ambassador for next year.

i am a little annoyed that there is no clear route to lifetime PP for those of us who start as LTP, as I am probably less tha 100 nights away from hitting the 750 nights across both programmes when totals are pooled.

Even as a RA though I would be reluctant to move stays to IHG though as most of the non IC properties are crap (and some of the IC's too).and the IC footprint isn't big enough to be worthwhile. There are a few honourable exceptions in terms of IHG properties, but your benefits even as a RA beyond IC's are a bit random (I am seeing more consistent club access at UK CP's these days though).

i would have to say on the whole I consistently get better treatment at Marriotts than I do at IHG.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I stay in hotels I like. I don't let the points tail wag the dog.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.