Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card and IHG Rewards Premier Business Credit Card UA TravelBank Benefit

Per Chase personal and biz application pages: Receive up to $50 United TravelBank Cash to use when you book United or United Express flights*

Announced February 2022, first post on this thread (#446, Feb 27, 22, 6:27 am).

Post on this thread specifying link to (try to) receive UA TB credits (#454, Mar 24, 22, 3:47 pm).

Consensus here as of Spring 2022 shortly after the commencement of this benefit was 1 (one) UA TB deposit per name and IHG account, not per credit card. Cardholders of both IHG personal and IHG biz cards received 1 UA TB deposit, some authors wrote that they had contacted IHG and were told the same thing.

As of mid-July 2022, when some people should have received their July 1 $25 TB credit, multiple people reported NOT receiving the July 1 credit and that communications with IHG and/or Chase and/or UA were unproductive and unsuccessful.

Print Wikipost

New Chase IHG Credit Card Options

Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Thanks to one and all - dummy reservation worked like a charm for the added $50 statement credit.
Appears lots of folks in the Chase forum report multiple IHG cards, so I fully expect to keep both open - original card for the 10% on 4th night free, second free night. Getting knocked down to 40k still stings a bit, but the extra 60k points more than justifies the application.

They gave me an obscenely high credit limit, based on my other Chase cards, will roll that back a bit when the card arrives.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

No. - the 10% rebate is not offered on the new cards. Only the classic select
that is why I said OLD and NEW card aka two cards
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Tony300S
I think the "4th Night Free" benefit will be a great perk, and per the terms it's unlimited in use:
"Members can utilize the 4th Reward Night Free benefit on an unlimited number of stays annually."

Example.... let assume TWO 4-night reward stays at an upper tier 60K point per night hotel.... Total cost 480,000 points.

With the current Select CC 10% rebate you'll get back 48,000 points and spend 432,000 as a result.
With the new Premier CC 4th night free you'll save 120,000 points and spend ONLY 360,000 points.
That's a savings of 72,000 points or basically more than an extra night worth $360 @ a $0.005 point value.

Also remember, the 10% rebate is/was capped at 100K points per year. I can seen though that this will benefit the points rich IHG members much more than casual users, but then again isn't that what a top tier hotel CC should be?

Plus the TSA Pre/Global Entry is basically a $25 per year value outright since it's capped at $100 every 4-years.
4th night free definitely has value, but not as much to me. Not that they have to cater to me. As someone who generally stays 1-2 nights, the 10% clearly wins in my scenario. I also have Global Entry. That perk is showing up more and more. Although, few sub-$100 annual fee cards come with that.

Overall, this Premier card is not a bad card at all. It may enter my wallet one day if the numbers work for me. However, it being the "Premier" card is a huge miss. Chase has eaten into some of AMEX's business as of late. The Reserve being a good example of that. IHG is also somewhat comparable to Hilton. The Hilton AMEX portfolio wins. There should have been a $450 annual fee card here. Perhaps I am wrong, and that is too premium for the IHG market. I do wonder what a $450 af, Ambassador or Spire status, VISA Infinite, with unrestricted free night, etc would do for them. It surely would pique my interest.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by Super Mario
4th night free definitely has value, but not as much to me. Not that they have to cater to me. As someone who generally stays 1-2 nights, the 10% clearly wins in my scenario.

I also have Global Entry. That perk is showing up more and more. Although, few sub-$100 annual fee cards come with that.
I usually only stay 1-3 night for business at IHG's (30-40 per year), but what about vacation time?

HI Aruba, Palazzo/Venetian Las Vegas, IC or CP in NYC Times Square not to mention all the IC's in Europe. PLENTY of 4th night opportunities, but like I said you have to have the abundance of points to make it work and that's where the 20% OFF points purchase can help too.

Yeah I see about two other sub-$100 cards that have a GE/TSA Pre credit, full listing HERE It's a tough credit overall since it only really works if you are due and not mid-cycle like I am with TSA Pre.

Can you use the credit for a spouse or family member? No restriction on names matching is there?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tony300S
Can you use the credit for a spouse or family member? No restriction on names matching is there?
Yes, anyone.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
way over 5/24 and same as with the Iberia no instant approval but the card appeared only the next day.
lets see if having both cards gets me the 4th night free and 20% (old card and ambassador) of the rewards pricing.
would just hope the open the free night to higher reward options (after recent devaluation) maybe even cert + points I.e book a 50k room with the cert and 10k points
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:22 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by blitzen
would just hope the open the free night to higher reward options (after recent devaluation) maybe even cert + points I.e book a 50k room with the cert and 10k points
No, they are undoubtedly anticipating a certain level of breakage on the free nights with the new restrictions
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by dw

No, they are undoubtedly anticipating a certain level of breakage on the free nights with the new restrictions
oh well at least I get two nights now which makes it easier for a weekend getaway to burn them if needed
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I currently have the "old" $49 card, which gives me a 10% rebate on points nights. I'm also an Ambassador member, which gives me an additional 10% rebate on points nights.

Can I get the new card and stack the 4th night free plus the 10% + 10% = 20% rebate on points spent, while also buying said points at a discount as a new cardholder?

Unfortunately I've already maxed out point purchases for this year under the 100% buy points bonus last month.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I currently have the "old" $49 card, which gives me a 10% rebate on points nights. I'm also an Ambassador member, which gives me an additional 10% rebate on points nights.

Can I get the new card and stack the 4th night free plus the 10% + 10% = 20% rebate on points spent, while also buying said points at a discount as a new cardholder?

Unfortunately I've already maxed out point purchases for this year under the 100% buy points bonus last month.
I think there are no definitive answers at this point, and we're probably going to have to wait for data points to come in. I see nothing in the T&Cs to prohibit this scenario, however, and if this is the way it works going forward, I think it's one of the strongest arguments for holding on to the old card while taking the new Premium. I could see a situation where a six-night reward stay using the two certs at a 40K property would cost only 96K if you have Ambassador status (108K if you don't). At certain properties, I see that as worth a points purchase and the $138 in annual fees.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I called Chase today and was able to upgrade from my current card (IHG Select) to the new card (IHG Premier) without issue. It's called a "product change" and is not a new application and does not affect your credit. Therefore you are not eligible for the 80,000 point sign-up bonus, but the $89 annual fee is waived for the first year. It was a very easy phone call and took less than 5 minutes. Just call the number on the back of your IHG card.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:21 pm

If one currently has a Select card and applies and is approved for the new Premier card - which perk would be kept for the associated IHG account? Would it be the 10% back or the 4th night free? Or would they both apply?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
If one currently has a Select card and applies and is approved for the new Premier card - which perk would be kept for the associated IHG account? Would it be the 10% back or the 4th night free? Or would they both apply?
that is the question. Hope we have some data points soon.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I called Chase today and was able to upgrade from my current card (IHG Select) to the new card (IHG Premier) without issue. It's called a "product change" and is not a new application and does not affect your credit. Therefore you are not eligible for the 80,000 point sign-up bonus, but the $89 annual fee is waived for the first year. It was a very easy phone call and took less than 5 minutes. Just call the number on the back of your IHG card.
what good was it to upgrade and miss out on 85k pts for a new app?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan

what good was it to upgrade and miss out on 85k pts for a new app?
Yeah I see this upgrade instead of applying as a new cardholder as saving $89 but losing the ability to earn 80-85k miles while also losing the 10% rebate on points redeemed until the old card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.