New Chase IHG Credit Card Options

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 11, 22, 10:12 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Wiki Link
IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card and IHG Rewards Premier Business Credit Card UA TravelBank Benefit

Per Chase personal and biz application pages: Receive up to $50 United TravelBank Cash to use when you book United or United Express flights*

Announced February 2022, first post on this thread (#446, Feb 27, 22, 6:27 am).

Post on this thread specifying link to (try to) receive UA TB credits (#454, Mar 24, 22, 3:47 pm).

Consensus here as of Spring 2022 shortly after the commencement of this benefit was 1 (one) UA TB deposit per name and IHG account, not per credit card. Cardholders of both IHG personal and IHG biz cards received 1 UA TB deposit, some authors wrote that they had contacted IHG and were told the same thing.

As of mid-July 2022, when some people should have received their July 1 $25 TB credit, multiple people reported NOT receiving the July 1 credit and that communications with IHG and/or Chase and/or UA were unproductive and unsuccessful.

Print Wikipost

Old May 29, 22, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
Maybe I missed it. But I got $ 25.00 credited to my Chase IHG card from IHG. Those were credited on 5/7 but already expire on 7/15. We are still restricted in Japan and it's very questionable when and if we can travel relatively normal again.
So that short window is rather useless. Is that a mistake or has anyone else the same experience?
It's hard to understand what you are talking about. Do you mean there's an offer in your Chase account?
Old May 29, 22, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton, National, Hertz
Or do you mean you received the $25 Travel Bank cash in your United account courtesy of the Chase IHG Premier card, and have very little opportunity to use it?

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
It's hard to understand what you are talking about. Do you mean there's an offer in your Chase account?
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
Maybe I missed it. But I got $ 25.00 credited to my Chase IHG card from IHG. Those were credited on 5/7 but already expire on 7/15. We are still restricted in Japan and it's very questionable when and if we can travel relatively normal again.
So that short window is rather useless. Is that a mistake or has anyone else the same experience?
Old Jun 15, 22, 9:55 am

I went to sign up for the Rewards Premier card. I have the old select version. They had offered me an "upgrade" but of course I want the sign up points. I missed the part that it's not available if you have any IHG rewards card and was denied. What I can't find is, if I cancel my old card how long do I have to wait to reapply?
Old Jun 15, 22, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by disalex View Post
I went to sign up for the Rewards Premier card. I have the old select version. They had offered me an "upgrade" but of course I want the sign up points. I missed the part that it's not available if you have any IHG rewards card and was denied. What I can't find is, if I cancel my old card how long do I have to wait to reapply?
You can get the business version without canceling if you qualify. Even just selling stuff on ebay can qualify you as a sole proprietorship.
mareh likes this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by disalex View Post
I went to sign up for the Rewards Premier card. I have the old select version. They had offered me an "upgrade" but of course I want the sign up points.
They keep spamming me with upgrade offers. The only thing that is an "upgrade" for me is the annual fee. Marriott offered a decent upgrade bonus a couple years ago. Hilton/Amex often offer upgrade bonuses. I'd be more likely to cancel my old IHG card than to "upgrade" to the more expensive card.
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, as long as the $49 card offers Platinum, I will keep it forever. It also seems now that the new card T&Cs say they are only offered to people who don't have other Chase IHG cards?
Old Jun 18, 22, 3:12 pm

If I use the expiring travel credit to purchase a refundable flight and then cancel after the credit would expire. What happens to the credit?
Old Jun 20, 22, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by username View Post
To me, as long as the $49 card offers Platinum, I will keep it forever. It also seems now that the new card T&Cs say they are only offered to people who don't have other Chase IHG cards?
You can have 1 personal and 1 business. I already had personal, so no trouble signing up for business and getting the sign up bonus.
Old Jun 20, 22, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you not know IHG has a program refresh? The Select card's old "Platinum" status is now the new Gold or even Silver. I dont remember exactly which one it is, but definitely not Platinum any more.
Old Jun 20, 22, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Did you not know IHG has a program refresh? The Select card's old "Platinum" status is now the new Gold or even Silver. I dont remember exactly which one it is, but definitely not Platinum any more.
Where did you get that? This page says otherwise:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...s/other-ihg-cc
username and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schnit View Post
You can have 1 personal and 1 business. I already had personal, so no trouble signing up for business and getting the sign up bonus.
Do you have to have a business to get a business card?
Old Jun 22, 22, 6:21 am

Do you have to have a business to get a business card?
No, you can sign up as a Sole Proprietor, assuming you qualify. Many people qualify without knowing it.

Even selling stuff on eBay is enough to qualify for a business card. I qualify because I have season tickets and I sell the games I do not go to. Business does not have to be an actual business.

Just google the proper way to fill out the application because you dont want to mess it up and have a hard pull for nothing. Your name is the business name and your SSN is the Tax ID.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase cards page has not updated the refresh which is in effect in June

Originally Posted by Rare View Post
Where did you get that? This page says otherwise:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...s/other-ihg-cc
s

You realize the Chase page is useless because the select card is no longer offered to new applicant since 2 or even 3 Years Ago...

The program refresh was announced in April, now it is in effect, right at IHG site.

https://www.ihg.com/onerewards/conte...MemberBenefits

We received emails on the change, IIRC something about the current Plat from CC if not requalified in current program year it will become Gold. It is no longer as long as you own the Select card you are Platinum under the new One Rewards program. Now only the Premier card would automatically give you the Plat status.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 22, 22 at 9:23 pm
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:39 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
s

You realize the Chase page is useless because the select card is no longer offered to new applicant since 2 or even 3 Years Ago...

The program refresh was announced in April, now it is in effect, right at IHG site.

We received emails on the change, IIRC something about the current Plat from CC if not requalified in current program year it will become Gold. It is no longer as long as you own the Select card you are Platinum under the new One Rewards program. Now only the Premier card would automatically give you the Plat status.
As the refresh of the program left the same tiers but simply added a new one on top, it's not clear why that automatically would change this. But if you have record of a specific communication sharing this information about changes to this card, that would be helpful.
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:39 pm

I am well aware that the Select card stopped being offered once the Premier card was introduced, which was 4 years ago. Not sure if you looked at the page I linked to, but it says clearly at the top: "These credit cards are no longer available to new cardmembers." Do you have any other basis for your claim that the page is useless?

I am also well aware of the program changes. Is there something on that page regarding a decrease in benefit to Select cardholders? Please point it out explicitly if so, because I'm not seeing it.

I have the Select card. I do not recall receiving any such email. I searched my email archive just now and could not find any such thing. I also checked the Benefits page for my card and Platinum Elite Status is shown as a featured benefit. Granted, it also says "As an IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Cardmember, youve automatically earned IHGRewards Club Platinum Elite status with additional benefits." As I don't have the Premier card, I will chalk that up to someone copy-pasting and forgetting to change the text.

The one thing I can't do is verify that the card is actually giving me status, because I currently have Diamond (formerly Spire) status, and have requalified through the end of 2023. So far, though, I have seen no evidence that Select cardholders only get Gold or Silver status rather than Platinum. I would be Happy to be proven wrong. Perhaps you can find the actual text of that email?

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
As the refresh of the program left the same tiers but simply added a new one on top, it's not clear why that automatically would change this.
Actually, the new Silver tier was added on the bottom, and the name of the top tier was changed. But yeah.
beltway likes this.

Search this Thread