Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador upgrade on paid + award stay?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Ambassador upgrade on paid + award stay?

If I booked three nights as paid + Chase cert + points at an IC (three reservations), would I be better off asking the hotel to note the single stay in advance? Are they likely to deem it an "award stay" overall, declining an upgrade? Have they been known to upgrade only the paid night, and downgrade the rest?

This would be my first Ambassador stay ever, and I rarely have multi-night stays generally.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:17 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Of course it depends on which IC you are doing. IC GS might be a problem or they may ask you to move or pay. IC HK was never a problem, but I haven't stayed there in a year so maybe they changed. I had a recent IC SIN stay-BOGO+ an award night- and I got the usual one category UPG, which in my opinion was not really an UPG, at least one that was noticable.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:38 am

Of course the ratio amongst the type of nights needs to be reasonabble, but if it would be e.g. 3 nights paid, 1 chase, 3 reward, I would be royally pissed off if the hotel makes a point for moving me after 3 nights..
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
IC O2 in London probably, maybe PL.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
IC Tahiti - I had 3 nights booked in 2 reservations: Reservation #1 was a paid Saturday followed by a free Sunday with the Ambassador free weekend night coupon. The 2nd reservation was for a Monday night using points. About a month before my trip I noticed the Sat/Sun was upgraded to an OWB but the free award night was not. I tried to email/call and got very vague answers. Since there was a nice savings on the OWB upgrade and we already had 1 free night, to make our trip easy I sucked it, cancelled the monday points night, did a paid night 1 level below the OWB and within 1-2 days they automatically upgraded me prior to check in to OWB

Just a reference point with my experience 1 month ago.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

IC Ambassadors are guaranteed an upgrade even on award stays.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Please don't mislead. Ambassador/RA have no upgrade entitlement on Award nights at IC's, but many IC's do try to do so once paid rooms guaranteed upgrades are processed.

The Ambassador t+c's have always stated that upgrades benefit does not apply to reward nights (along with other exceptions)... virtually all that remains Amb benefits wise are .... fruit+water, free-internet, 4pm checkout

from https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions
" When staying on Reward Nights and on Best Price Guaranteed Free Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, Club Lounge access (Royal Ambassadors), Mini bar beverages (Royal Ambassadors), free Pay-TV film per stay, 24-hour guaranteed room availability (Royal Ambassador) and 8:00 am early check-in (Royal Ambassador - where a cost is applicable). A Reward Night booking must be booked under the IHG Rewards Club account of the member for him/her to enjoy the benefits. "
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Please don't mislead. Ambassador/RA have no upgrade entitlement on Award nights at IC's, but many IC's do try to do so once paid rooms guaranteed upgrades are processed.

The Ambassador t+c's have always stated that upgrades benefit does not apply to reward nights (along with other exceptions)... virtually all that remains Amb benefits wise are .... fruit+water, free-internet, 4pm checkout

from https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions
" When staying on Reward Nights and on Best Price Guaranteed Free Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, Club Lounge access (Royal Ambassadors), Mini bar beverages (Royal Ambassadors), free Pay-TV film per stay, 24-hour guaranteed room availability (Royal Ambassador) and 8:00 am early check-in (Royal Ambassador - where a cost is applicable). A Reward Night booking must be booked under the IHG Rewards Club account of the member for him/her to enjoy the benefits. "
Here is a screenshot off of InterContinental's website and as you can see right in the middle, it says guaranteed upgrade. Personally, I have always been upgraded when using a Reward Night so that's my experience.

Last edited by vh_bu98; Mar 27, 2018 at 10:46 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:45 am

Nope. Read the T&Cs.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, guys! I went ahead and booked this as a Chase free night and an award night back-to-back. So, I am definitely not expecting any sort of upgrade.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Here is a screenshot off of InterContinental's website and as you can see right in the middle, it says guaranteed upgrade. Personally, I have always been upgraded when using a Reward Night so that's my experience.

As others pointed out, there is this thing called Terms & Conditions that you surely have come across in other cases and sadly in there IHG has buried this "poison pill" for reward night bookings. It is one of my main gripes (together with lack of a breakfast amenity, e.g. for Spire) and they are one of the few chains being that stingy with benefits when you would actually want them during a (reward) vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.