Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does any IHG property offer decent breakfast/food?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Does any IHG property offer decent breakfast/food?

With the recent devaluation of pointsbreak, I am now renewed in my determination to burn my useless IHG points. However, it's extremely difficult because I still have Marriott/Hilton points, and there doesn't seem to be ANY IHG property that offer better than Holiday Inn express breakfast? How can IHG be still in business especially when all their upper-tier properties simply CANNOT COMPETE against the other chains?!

Help me out here am I missing something? No breakfast for Spire and Ambassador elites at NONE of their properties above HI Express?

I know Crowne Plaza, Intercontinental and Hotel Indingo seems to have no breakfast/food/lounge benefits whatsoever. The pathetic fruit tray from a paid Ambassador status doesn't count. My search for Kimpton turns out empty as well (except the $10 credit that everyone gets). This is so frustrating!!!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
With the recent devaluation of pointsbreak, I am now renewed in my determination to burn my useless IHG points. However, it's extremely difficult because I still have Marriott/Hilton points, and there doesn't seem to be ANY IHG property that offer better than Holiday Inn express breakfast? How can IHG be still in business especially when all their upper-tier properties simply CANNOT COMPETE against the other chains?!

Help me out here am I missing something? No breakfast for Spire and Ambassador elites at NONE of their properties above HI Express?

I know Crowne Plaza, Intercontinental and Hotel Indingo seems to have no breakfast/food/lounge benefits whatsoever. The pathetic fruit tray from a paid Ambassador status doesn't count. My search for Kimpton turns out empty as well (except the $10 credit that everyone gets). This is so frustrating!!!
IHG brands with breakfast includes
- Holiday Inn Express
- Staybridge Suites
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I believe most / all Crowne Plazas now provide lounge access for Spire elites. Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Causeway Bay had one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had at a hotel (and complimentary) December 2017
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm not a huge breakfast connoisseur, but will say I liked the included breakfast at the Staybridge I tried in the UK
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:00 am

Breakfast might not be included as a benefit but many properties offer a discounted rate for breakfast either by email prior or at checkin. It's often worth considering. I have taken the offer at HI Mayfair London, HI Sukhumvit Bangkok, CP Republique Paris and a few others. It makes thebreakfast cost merely expensive rather than outrageous. Of course it should be a benefit but no one will hold their breath waiting for that to happen.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:16 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
You have been fairly selective in your assessment of the situation, as others have mentioned Staybridge are an additional brand to HIX that offer Breakfast, and for those I have stayed in also offer dinner 4 nights a week! Fact is breakfast is one part of the equation when it comes to rewards, each brand has its benefits! And most of us know hoarding points = devaluation!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Silver,UA,IHG Diamond
While it's true that IHG points used to be much better value, I can't agree they are useless, particularly if you top them up with an affiliated credit card. HIEX breakfasts are not the best (unless you really like croissants), but they are indeed included in the room rate. Other brands are inconsistent when it comes to breakfast quality; however, I have just had a quite reasonable breakfast in the Kimpton Amsterdam. I have also had complimentary buffet breakfasts at CP Barcelona and CP LAX in the lounge. CP Portland has excellent a la carte offerings and an average buffet. Almost all hotels, not just IHG, are let down by low quality sausages and coffee in my opinion, but I'm fussy about my sausages and coffee.

Anyway, IHG has a great earn-to-burn ratio (but less good than it used to be), and elite benefits are a nice surprise when they happen.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Depending on your status, I’ve had many Crowne Plazas and HI offer me free breakfast as a gold or Plat member in Asia.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Your thread title is misleading. To answer that, I can say that many IHG properties offer "decent breakfast". But you are interested in "freebies" it seems and that question is very YMMV
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I'm sure that there are countless IHG properties that offer outstanding breakfast.

But it appears you are looking for IHG properties that offer decent breakfast either for free, or due to status, which is not what your title suggests.

HIX provides free breakfast for all.
No IHG rewards status bestows free breakfast.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
I stayed at the Intercontinental in Cannes (cant remember the other name of this hotel off the top of my head) but i got a breakfast included rate.

And the breakfast which incl Champagne and fresh madelenes along with an extensive buffet (and which sold for 40Euros) was quite nice.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:44 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I believe most / all Crowne Plazas now provide lounge access for Spire elites. Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Causeway Bay had one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had at a hotel (and complimentary) December 2017
Not sure I would agree with "most / all", perhaps half of the ones I have stayed in this year did. Some were pretty good and some were rubbish ("continental" with mostly pre-packaged items)
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United, Southwest
At the Intercontinental in Barcelona I was upgraded to the club floor. Great free breakfast buffet.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mary mary
At the Intercontinental in Barcelona I was upgraded to the club floor. Great free breakfast buffet.
There is no IC Barcelona at this time. How long ago was your stay?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Not sure if it's official, but it seems that since Spire was launched -- every CP or HI that has a lounge has given me (and a guest) lounge access as a Spire. Lounge quality and breakfast quality varies.
Most of the HIs at which I've stayed have given me breakfast vouchers. When they haven't, when they ask whether I want points or a drink, when it's more important for me, I sometimes ask if I can have breakfast. I seldom get turned down.
InterContinental hotels give Club Lounge access for Royal Ambassadors. For Ambassadors, YMMV -- you might be able to negotiate Club access in lieu of an upgrade.
Some ICs do not have Club Lounges (Geneva, Willard, Marceau, etc.) and of those, some offer a "Club Experience" instead, which includes some free drinks/snacks in the bar, breakfast, and a few other perks (Porto, Lisbon, etc.). While the "Club Experience" lacks a lounge which you can use throughout the day, it does give you free breakfast in the main restaurant, which is often superior to the more limited breakfast offered in the lounge.
The breakfasts at some ICs are quite impressive (Paris, Barclay, etc.) including in the Club.
Many ICs also give you the option of having breakfast in the main restaurant in lieu of the club (Singapore, Madrid, ANA Tokyo, etc.), so the best of both worlds.
DaveH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.