Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:33 am

why are you giving IHG ideas chongcao?????? why would you even mention an increase to 7500 points? is that your goal that the amount of points needs to goes up?

Last edited by torontotravel; Jan 26, 2018 at 6:42 am
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
Originally Posted by turner32
A few people completely over-reacting on here. What do you want, a list of HI and HIX as we've had for the past few years, or some significantly better properties for just 10'000 points? Honestly..
Doesn't matter what we want. What we'll get is a list of HI and HIX for 15k points. (Maybe the first list will be an exception.)
Keyser and torontotravel like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by torontotravel
Thank you to all those who begged IHG to increase pointbreaks from 5000 to 10000 and higher./
Now many of the hotels that we used to get at 5000 will be 10 and 15 thousand per night.
When people were writing about it I mentioned that I was fine with PB as it was...sometimes when you ask for something..a company uses it to raise pricing. It's obvious that this is the case with the "new" pointbreaks.. HORRIBLE.
Look at the list from last time. There was almost nothing worthwhile outside North America. The offers in EU and Asia were absolutely pitiful and they have been for some time.

People who talk about having a decent selection in PB are almost invariably talking from an NA standpoint.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:34 am

yes I live in North America.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yurtripper
People who talk about having a decent selection in PB are almost invariably talking from an NA standpoint.
Agree with your point of view. As someone who have taken advantage of every previous PB, I have to say last 4 years the list is horrible. There are several years there is not a single hotel in Pacific region, or less than a dozen in Asia or Africa. The hotel in Europe is always the same property.

I am not going to say that there will be no disappointment. But with all the points you get from Accelerator, in my case, almost 200,000 per year with all tasks done, I will welcome the change. 15,000 worth nothing if you can not use it, or use on a 70,000 points hotel that cash rate is USD$250. Only in an ideal world that 15,000 is worth USD$100 at today's rate. Everyone has very different personal situation and 15,000 worth nothing if you have no intention or plan to use 15,000 at the ideal place which can worth about USD$100.

I think people should reserve their disappointment until the full list is out.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turner32
No issue with this at all. There's 3 IC's in just the 8-property preview list. This is much more like it.
If 3/8 of the hotels on the full list are IC, then I am sold I don't even think 3/8 of the hotels are IC in the whole system.

Originally Posted by 1flyer
I think point breaks will be decent this time. They don't want to send the message: "We have a list of included properties just as usual. Only change is the number of points you need to participate has gone up by a factor of 2-3."
I am fine with the 3 new tiers in exchange for better hotels on the list. However, the trend is not in our favor and I also wonder if there will be more strict booking rules...
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:40 am

Am I right in saying the full list should be released in the next couple of hours? It is published today right?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:45 am

yeah, I'm getting impatient..lol
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Lionheart
Am I right in saying the full list should be released in the next couple of hours? It is published today right?
Where did you get that? Really?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
It's a fantasy to not think this is a devaluation. I bet the number of properties priced at 5K will gradually decrease and the number of properties priced at 15K will gradually increase. Initially there might be decent choices in the 15K category, but a year or two from now, the choices in the 15K category will look similar to what we had on the last few lists (i.e. very few, if any, in desirable locations).
I believe this is exactly their strategy how they plan to move with this. If I was in their shoes, I would do the same.

At least for the moment, I believe they will put a decent list out for the first round now, and then the next rounds will get worse. So I made all my best effort to turn my thinking positive and hoping to snatch once and for all some good finds
fti likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:12 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I think IHG releases that list to the bloggers on the Friday before the list goes live on the Monday. Hence the full list should be released within the next hour or so and bookable from Monday
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer
It has nothing to do with reasonable. It is a simple fact that your real income has fallen. Suppose your income in euro is 100. When an apple as well as a banana cost 1€ each, you can buy 100 pieces of fruit (in whatever composition of apples and bananas you desire). Once the price of the banana rises to 2€, the space within which you can decide gets smaller. There is a negative income effect. For instance, if you buy ten bananas, you can no longer afford 90 apples as well but only 80.

Whether the decisions you make are reasonable or not, it is simply a fact that there are fewer bundles of apples and bananas that you can feasibly buy given your income.

The analogy still carries over to IHG points. It is unambiguous that the devaluation makes you worse off. (Unless, of course, we're in the extreme case that you don't desire any award nights except those made available as point breaks. But that seems a quite far-fetched scenario.)
What if apples and bananas are 1€ but every friday, apples go on sale for 0.50€. Now, every friday, apples are 0.50€ and bananas are 0.75€?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
What if apples and bananas are 1€ but every friday, apples go on sale for 0.50€. Now, every friday, apples are 0.50€ and bananas are 0.75€?
Oh we are back to this banana theory. I just bet that on Monday I can buy a banana for 0,5€, 1€ and 1,5€. The seller lets me choose. Stupid like monkey I am, I will just choose a banana.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:43 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I think the concern is now every friday, while some apples are still on sale for 0.50€, some apples, say Red Delicious, are now 0.75€ to go along with bananas at 0.75€.

So maybe you do have some bananas on sale that you didn't get before, but there are also some apples that aren't on quite as good a sale as they used to be. So whether you think this is good or not, depends on your "valuation" of Red Delicious apples versus bananas. And never underestimate, as some have mentioned, this may be a moving target. The next PB list may not only include Red Delicious apples in the smaller discount, but also include Granny Smith apples. And then the next PB list may add Honeycrisp and so. Before too long, there may be very few apples still at the 0.50€ sale.

So is this a one-time devaluation? A slow shift to more and more devaluations? Just a shift of value to allow inclusion of more options? At the moment I sure can't say for certain, but I think it is a valid concern.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended

In theory, you will have a big follower of Friday shoppers. (sort of like PB)

The shop will see business tilt towards Friday heavily. Then depends on which day the shop get fresh supply the profitability will be severely impacted.

The shoppers will feel cheated once they know Friday special is there and eventually gave up buying on other days.

Then you start to have shopper loose out because there are limited supply and the disappointed shoppers never returned to the shop (sounds familiar?)......

My point is, you can extend the scenario indefinitely. Stick to the simple principles of the original discussions is better than extend the theoretic discussion. Once you go off course to argue your point there are endless possibilities and discussion will just dilute the original topic. Let us stick to PB and PB only. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.