FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1885423-2018-pointbreaks-discussion-thread.html)

Sisyphus1carus Jul 25, 2018 3:49 am

It's a whole bag of poop.

The_Bouncer Jul 25, 2018 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus (Post 30010943)

This comment sums it up better and more succintly than anything else I have read - or written - on the subject.

Flamenguista Jul 27, 2018 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus (Post 30010943)

I know it's subjective depending on the person and the list, but this summarized my thoughts perfectly. Compared to the last 2 lists, it's a bag of poop. I was very anxious to see what was inside, poked around it, looked inside, and then retreated as quickly as possible.

Concerto Jul 27, 2018 5:36 am

I totally agree with Sisyphus1carus above, unfortunately. I rather thought that not responding would leave his message as a fitting last statement about this promotion.

There is little improvement on the previous lists at 5,000 points. The only slightly positive outcome is that there will be less of a feeding frenzy once each promotion comes out, leaving some of those rooms free for others to book. I mean, who would want to pay 53 Euros when you can redeem a special offer of 15,000 points?

miadukes Jul 27, 2018 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 30018303)
I totally agree with Sisyphus1carus above, unfortunately. There is little improvement on the previous lists at 5,000 points. The only slightly positive outcome is that there will be less of a feeding frenzy once each promotion comes out, leaving some of those rooms free for others to book. I mean, who would want to pay 53 Euros when you can redeem a special offer of 15,000 points?

Yeah Right, this time around the weekend nights at most of these went in a couple hours. San antonio for example and galveston come to mind. tried to change the weekend i booked and no go, all sold out

Concerto Jul 27, 2018 5:39 am

I haven't looked because I don't really need to, but I was idly wondering what remaining availability was like. I would imagine that most of the 15,000 point hotels are still there.

chrism20 Jul 27, 2018 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 30018310)
I haven't looked because I don't really need to, but I was idly wondering what remaining availability was like. I would imagine that most of the 15,000 point hotels are still there.

There is 109 properties in total still on the list so only 27 have dropped off. 27 are at 15k - there were 41 to start with so more 15k ones gone than the others.

I only looked at the UK ones this time as summer holidays etc are all planned and was just looking for a cheeky getaway for a couple of nights.

Croydon and Heathrow have gone from the list which doesn't surprise me due to their locations.

What does surprise me is that Brighton is still on the list considering the exceptional weather and the time of year although its possible all thats left is random dates that can't be strung together. Also a bit surprised at Birmingham considering its City Centre location to be honest.

The other remaining two are the Aberdeen ones and rates for tonight are £55 (HIX) and £52 (CP). At those rates you wouldn't even consider points.

Since the changes this list is definitely the poorest of the three although I notice its only for two months. I wonder if it's going back to bimonthly rather than quarterly.

Concerto Jul 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Hard to say. Does this mean there will potentially be another Pointbreaks list towards the end of September then? Concerning Brighton, that hotel is just terrible apparently. If you follow Headforpoints there has been quite a bit of (negative) feedback there.

chrism20 Jul 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 30019759)
Hard to say. Does this mean there will potentially be another Pointbreaks list towards the end of September then? Concerning Brighton, that hotel is just terrible apparently. If you follow Headforpoints there has been quite a bit of (negative) feedback there.

I hope so as I’ve notjing planned for my week off in November yet.

Yes HI Brighton wouldn’t be my first choice if visiting the area (A room with a view is excellent) but in high summer the chance of a 15k/night room will certainly appeal to some particularly those on a budget. They appear to have loaded everything as reward nights as well including family rooms and sea view execs.

The_Bouncer Jul 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Ok, so the consensus of opinion seems to be 💩

Concerto Jul 27, 2018 4:19 pm

It definitely is a sausage roll in the garden which, if you're not careful, you might end up tramping in.

klanfa Jul 30, 2018 11:02 am

FWIW Candlewood Suites Sayre, PA is a good deal at 5k points. Clean and very well reviewed; staff seemed nice though I didn't really need much. Fairly close to the Finger Lakes, too. In my book definitely worth 5k points - rates were $90ish for this past weekend.

Concerto Jul 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Phew, that’s really good to learn that there is still something positive about this promotion. Hopefully we’re not right at the end yet.

EmailKid Jul 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by klanfa (Post 30028181)
FWIW Candlewood Suites Sayre, PA is a good deal at 5k points. Clean and very well reviewed; staff seemed nice though I didn't really need much. Fairly close to the Finger Lakes, too. In my book definitely worth 5k points - rates were $90ish for this past weekend.

Sounds like Dąbrowa Górnicza in May 2017. Out of the way, but a local bus ride away from Katowice and Krakow not too far away; new and good staff, but unless you were in that part of Poland not much use to most of us. Not surprisingly, one of few properties still available all the way to the end of promotion. IIRC got upgraded at checkin :)

stigs Aug 8, 2018 8:00 am

First list in a couple years with multiple solid offerings for Canada, with the two largest cities covered.

New HI in downtown Montreal for 15K (vs usual 30K) was a bargain.

New HIX 10km west of Pearson in Toronto for 10K (vs 20K) another great deal.

Off the beaten path, the SS in London, ON is very nice, and an excellent value at 10K (vs 20K).

I'll gladly pay 10K - 15K if it means more newer, quality hotels near the action vs worn-down roadstop highway CS for 5K.