FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1885423-2018-pointbreaks-discussion-thread.html)

serpens Apr 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by stets (Post 29690877)
Extremely annoying to not have a full preview list.

Amen to that.

And when I click on the link (on the page that says "Preview: IHG® Rewards Club PointBreaks: April 30, 2018 – July 31, 2018" in big letters at the top) that says "View the full list of IHG hotels for 5,000 points", it takes me to a list for the previous period. Also, the similar links to hotels for 10,000 and 15,000 points each take me to page with 5,000 point hotels. (Yes, it's easy to get to the 10,000 and 15,000 point hotels, but when the link says "full list of IHG hotels for 15,000 points", it ought to show me 15,000 point hotels.) And when I click on the link "North America" directly under the "Preview: IHG® Rewards Club PointBreaks: April 30, 2018 – July 31, 2018" title, it takes me to a page that has nothing to do with PointBreaks (other than having a link to return me to the page I just came from).

Ah, well, this is the organization that thinks a four digit PIN provides security. I suppose my rant pales is comparison to complaints about that demonstration of competence.

larrythai Apr 29, 2018 9:03 am

Not giving us at least 24 hours to plan makes PB into a kind of Black Friday stampede. There is no sense in raising the stress level this way. What a shame such a good, generous idea is going down the proverbial tubes.

stets Apr 29, 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by larrythai (Post 29695989)
There is no sense in raising the stress level this way. What a shame such a good, generous idea is going down the proverbial tubes.

Well there is some sense. Stampede -> More panicked, speculative bookings -> more cancellations -> less completed PB stays -> cheaper to run promotion for IHG.

Just one more way for IHG to make this promo worse for us and cheaper for IHG.

chrislondon2 Apr 29, 2018 12:17 pm

The ihg website says the new pointbreaks will be available at Noon. Anyone know what timezone's Noon please?:

somedudefromFLa Apr 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by chrislondon2 (Post 29696470)
The ihg website says the new pointbreaks will be available at Noon. Anyone know what timezone's Noon please?:

in the past it's been around noon EST, but it could potentially be London time as there headquarters are in UK...

The_Bouncer Apr 29, 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by larrythai (Post 29695989)
Not giving us at least 24 hours to plan makes PB into a kind of Black Friday stampede. There is no sense in raising the stress level this way. What a shame such a good, generous idea is going down the proverbial tubes.

Somehow I don't think there's going to be a huge stampede.

danam Apr 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by chrislondon2 (Post 29696470)

Looking at previous reservations I've made, they're all around 17:30-18:00 UK time.

FFlash Apr 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 29696728)
Somehow I don't think there's going to be a huge stampede.

:D

+1. Just looking at how many previous properties are still bookable, no stampede expected

larrythai Apr 29, 2018 2:57 pm

I hope all of you are right, But we know that cherries encourage cherry picking,

Fanjet Apr 29, 2018 8:25 pm

The 5K/10K/15K scheme has made the hotels on the list stay longer on the list than in the past. That is the upside. The downside is the raising of the points per night. Last year, the CP Vilnius was on the PB list (same time period) and is now on the preview list for 10K points. Which is still a good deal as I've never seen rates there below 70-75 Euros per night. And let's face it, general point redemption rates have been going up at several hotels over the past couple of years. There's no reason to expect that PBs would not be affected as well.

The_Bouncer Apr 30, 2018 2:19 am

The reason they are on the list for longer is because nobody wants to book them.

FlyerTalker688786 Apr 30, 2018 4:30 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 29698232)
The reason they are on the list for longer is because nobody wants to book them.

Should you be happy for those who actually wants them get a chance to benefit?

Sisyphus1carus Apr 30, 2018 4:32 am

They should preview most of the list.
it reduces the amount of people who speculatively book and then cancel, preventing others from having a chance to actually stay at the hotel :-(

Sisyphus1carus Apr 30, 2018 4:35 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 29696761)

:D

+1. Just looking at how many previous properties are still bookable, no stampede expected

The good hotels in interesting places will go quickly.

The_Bouncer Apr 30, 2018 4:54 am

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 29698421)
Should you be happy for those who actually wants them get a chance to benefit?

If you feel you are actually benefiting by forking out 15k, largely in places where you get something similar for $100, then I am happy for you.

Vilnius CP, for example, for 10k - whoop-dee-doo! This hotel was a regular on the old 5k list and often has cash rates under €100. A quick search on hotels.com shows several 4* properties in the €60-80 range. I rate that as marginal value at best.

So yes, if you think you're getting a good deal, enjoy it.

I am, however, annoyed that the savings represented by PBs have been very greatly devalued for myself and many others.