Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver

MightyTravels? Huh?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by turner32
Lots of members who tend to only post quarterly on this Pointbreaks forum getting very upset. Maybe go back to your preferred loyalty scheme. This is the best list in years.
Best list in terms of the properties on there, but not in terms of value. It's a whole different thing now. At 5k, it was always a great deal, almost without exception. at 10k or 15k... a lot of these properties are just an ok deal at a property that's not very enticing.

I will be in Rome, Venice, London, and Chicago during this period, all of which have properties on the list. If they were 5k, I'd almost certainly do the pb for all of them (and probably extend my time in each). As it is, I only booked the London, and it's 50/50 whether I'll use it. Even in London 10k for a crap location or 15k for a slightly less crap location is not that great a deal.

This just completely changes the complexion of this promo. It's more along the lines of what others do with some reduced redemptions sometimes. No longer is it a crazy lottery where hotels are practically free if you can get there and book within the first hour. Some people may see more value in the new promo than the old promo. I'm not one of those people, but I sincerely hope that someone out there is.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Lots of members who tend to only post quarterly on this Pointbreaks forum getting very upset. Maybe go back to your preferred loyalty scheme. This is the best list in years.
Expect fewer visitors and fewer regular posters coming here in future
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash

I beg to differ. I guess I found here just about 3 years ago and the list up at that time was much better than this. And even at that time, old-timers were complaining that list back then was so mich worse than some 10 years ago or whatever time IC here and there
People have ALWAYS complained about the selection of hotels, and indeed there has never been more than a few gems on the lists.
Standard redemption rates have gone up a lot it is ridiculous to expect IC Amsterdam, Paris, London, Cannes, Bora Bora, Rome , Tokyo
at 5-15K.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:55 pm

PointsBreaks represented outsized value. IHG has now swung the pendulum far the other way, especially compared to competitors' superior offerings.

I do hope the devaluations and poor loyalty programme hurt their bottom line soon. They need to take notice. Hotels aren't airlines. Competition still works, and customer and shareholder must both find value.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
People have ALWAYS complained about the selection of hotels, and indeed there has never been more than a few gems on the lists.
Standard redemption rates have gone up a lot it is ridiculous to expect IC Amsterdam, Paris, London, Cannes, Bora Bora, Rome , Tokyo
at 5-15K.
I just don't know what people expect. Also, why shouldn't the points redemption values increase? After a decade! Something-for-nothing entitlement, yet again.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by harryhv
Expect fewer visitors and fewer regular posters coming here in future
Perhaps IHG is trying to lose the bottom-feeders. Can't blame them, really.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by stets
Best list in terms of the properties on there, but not in terms of value. It's a whole different thing now. At 5k, it was always a great deal, almost without exception. at 10k or 15k... a lot of these properties are just an ok deal at a property that's not very enticing.

I will be in Rome, Venice, London, and Chicago during this period, all of which have properties on the list. If they were 5k, I'd almost certainly do the pb for all of them (and probably extend my time in each). As it is, I only booked the London, and it's 50/50 whether I'll use it. Even in London 10k for a crap location or 15k for a slightly less crap location is not that great a deal.

This just completely changes the complexion of this promo. It's more along the lines of what others do with some reduced redemptions sometimes. No longer is it a crazy lottery where hotels are practically free if you can get there and book within the first hour. Some people may see more value in the new promo than the old promo. I'm not one of those people, but I sincerely hope that someone out there is.

Ring IHG and demand IC Park Lane, as the locations do not meet your strict requirements. Tell them that you are loyal to other hotel chains, but IHG a couple of times a year for Pointbreaks. And see what they say.

Last edited by turner32; Jan 29, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I'll still check out IHG promos and "PointsBreaks" in the future. This sad little list is a disappointment but sometimes a good one pops up. Was hoping for Madrid again but nothing in Spain at all - bah. Got spoiled the past few years by mediocre IHG hotels at a bargain. Owell. See you guys back here in 3 months.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: IHG, Marriot Rewards
I just don't know what people expect. Also, why shouldn't the points redemption values increase? After a decade! Something-for-nothing entitlement, yet again.
That's easy to say but I feel bad for those that have bought a significant amounts of points for cash with the expectation that they would hold a relatively stable value. IHG has radically diluted the value of their points in a very short amount of time. If the rate increases were remotely tied to inflation, I could at least understand it. I will probably just use up my existing balance and move on to other reward programs. I doubt I'm alone.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by flightline
I do hope the devaluations and poor loyalty programme hurt their bottom line soon. They need to take notice. Hotels aren't airlines. Competition still works, and customer and shareholder must both find value.
I think the web site redesign is going to cause them more pain in 1Q 2018 numbers than any lagging grumbling resulting from PB devaluation.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by harryhv
Loyalty of Australian members obviously not important to this business
Where does loyalty come into it? The program is called IHG Rewards, and it pretty much behaves that way. This is an unsurprising development, and seems like a reasonable list. But there are many who will have a different definition of “reasonable”.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
This the sort of program where you will never please everyone, the best in the chain will rarely appear in these lists as they are difficult to get on points at normal rates due to there high occupancy and people are unlikely to be happy if the properties on the list do not match there travel plans.

Nothing in Thailand and nothing in Hong Kong so no points break for me this time but not really the end of IHG points breaks or rewards.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flightline
IHG has SPIT in our faces with the new PointBreaks. Don't give them the benefit of the doubt. Book away from IHG.
please do and come back to tell us later. With fewer people I might finally have the opportunity to book the PB hotel for a longer period.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:45 pm
jxd

Yes, the list is slightly better, but (mostly) absolute horrible value. Some of the hotels in the 15k category are frankly a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.