Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by beltway
What similar offering does Hilton have? They stopped doing Point Stretchers six years ago (and without any announcement before or after the fact).
Good question. I've seen a few people on this thread say they are going to ditch IHGRC because of this change to PB.
I'd love to know why they now think other chains are better, particularly when it comes to discounted reward bookings.
If Hilton or Hyatt or SPG or Marriot are now truly better then let's hear some details!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by minz56
Good question. I've seen a few people on this thread say they are going to ditch IHGRC because of this change to PB.
I'd love to know why they now think other chains are better, particularly when it comes to discounted reward bookings.
If Hilton or Hyatt or SPG or Marriot are now truly better then let's hear some details!
Yes, and this isn’t even exclusive to the hotel industry. McDonald’s introduced their tiered $1, $2, $3 dollar value menu this month. How many are boycotting McDonald’s because of this change? The plus is the same, in that there’s more choices available now.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:52 am

...If Hilton or Hyatt or SPG or Marriot are now truly better then let's hear some details!
Hilton, SPG & Marriott offer free breakfast (and often lounge access to lowly Golds AND always to Diamonds, whereas IHG offers diddly squat unless you are staying in a crappy HIX

Hilton has several 5,000 point redemption locations available throughout the year and not merely on occasional Point Breaks; SPG has multiple locations (and some very good ones at that) available at 2,000 / 3,000 / 4,000 points
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by puchong
Hilton, SPG & Marriott offer free breakfast (and often lounge access to lowly Golds AND always to Diamonds, whereas IHG offers diddly squat unless you are staying in a crappy HIX

Hilton has several 5,000 point redemption locations available throughout the year and not merely on occasional Point Breaks; SPG has multiple locations (and some very good ones at that) available at 2,000 / 3,000 / 4,000 points
Thanks puchong. Food for thought.
torontotravel likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by torontotravel
Crowne Plaza Arlington Texas:

STARTING AT
$109.44USD

Now ONLY 15000 points per night.
What a joke.
For me, the starting price doesn't matter all that much.

Obviously, on the dates at which cash rates are lowest, it's not attractive to redeem points. I'm not saying 15k points for this property is something to write home about. But it's not terrible, either. On most nights, the cash rate is more like $150 (including taxes and fees) so you're getting ok value by redeeming.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Cheapest cash stay for a random date (I chose 11/12 April). Obviously rates can vary over the period of the promotion but I hope this gives an indication
Overall, an interesting exercise, minz56. But obviously, one shouldn't pick the dates for redemption randomly. Given a fixed point requirement for reward nights, the lower the cash rate, the more inclined I am to pay cash.

So, in my mind, by comparing points redemption with cash rates at random dates, you're under-estimating the value of points. (Because, once again, I'd try to use points when cash rates are particularly high, not when cash rates are average or low.)
vsevolod4 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Darn. Holding my breath on this already now. Too bad to have meeting & work schedule tomorrow that allows too little watching on this campaign kick-off. It pays to be quick on trigger, but aargghhh I will be hands tied during launch!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by username
There used to be this other thing - like a monthly lower redemption special for some hotels? I think that was discontinued, right?

I remember this too. They used to release maybe 20 properties at very short notice, normally for the upcoming weekends, but it was phased out not long after it was launched.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I enjoyed the reduced redemption rate for their Cayman property a couple of years ago. Been there many times. Wouldn't mind seeing that location included on the new "reduced" list, although I'm sure it will never be a 5k PB.
(5k actually a 4450 redemption if you score the welcome bonus and 10% from the card. Good times).
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:32 am

The 5K Hilton redemptions are largely for remote rural US locations and (IIRC) resorts in Egypt & similar countries where civil upheaval has caused tourism to fall off a cliff. Also, these former Cat 1 properties—Hilton having abolished redemption categories last year—are in many cases raising their top rate to 10K.

Your SPG comparison is a bad one. 2000 Starpoints are worth at least $40; 5000 IHG points are worth $25-33.

But the real point is that comparing periodic promotions like Point Breaks to standard award levels at other chains is the quintessential apples-to-oranges exercise.
username likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
The 5K Hilton redemptions are largely for remote rural US locations and (IIRC) resorts in Egypt & similar countries where civil upheaval has caused tourism to fall off a cliff. Also, these former Cat 1 properties—Hilton having abolished redemption categories last year—are in many cases raising their top rate to 10K.

Your SPG comparison is a bad one. 2000 Starpoints are worth at least $40; 5000 IHG points are worth $25-33.

But the real point is that comparing periodic promotions like Point Breaks to standard award levels at other chains is the quintessential apples-to-oranges exercise.
You are right. Most are in Egypt and Turkey and many are creeping up to 8k/10k.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:43 am
Suspended

What similar offering does Hilton have? They stopped doing Point Stretchers six years ago (and without any announcement before or after the fact).
Yes you are quite right about this. But Hilton Cat 1 and Cat 2 hotels are better deal with free breakfast for Golds and Diamonds plus welcome points up to 1,000. Plus Hilton redemption does count for promotions and points. Overall I would say IHG needs PB to stay competitive.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
Yes you are quite right about this. But Hilton Cat 1 and Cat 2 hotels are better deal with free breakfast for Golds and Diamonds plus welcome points up to 1,000. Plus Hilton redemption does count for promotions and points. Overall I would say IHG needs PB to stay competitive.
I don’t think PBs are a major factor in IHGs attempts to stay competitive tbh.

They arent heavily marketed and are not prominent on the website, show as regular rewards nights when booking whilst there is generally only a few posts a quarter on social media.

I’d hazard a guess that probably 80%+ of IHG Rewards club members don’t even know what a pointsbreak is.
vsevolod4 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by chrism20

I’d hazard a guess that probably 80%+ of IHG Rewards club members don’t even know what a pointsbreak is.
Not necessarily a bad guess. Speaking of me, I had no clue about PB when I joined IHG nor flyertalk until I had spent some time on flyertalk and found this PB thread
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:47 pm

(2) points:

1) I might be wrong but the way I read the question was, what makes the other programs better than IHG NOW (as in after this devaluation). What you're pointing to is that you feel Hilton, SPG, and Marriott are superior to IHG regardless of the devaluation.
2) Yes, Hilton has several 5k pt hotels offered throughout the year. Question, which have you made more use of, Hilton's 5k pt hotels or IHG pointbreaks? I've booked way more IHG pointbreaks than Hilton 5k pt hotels. I don't think I've ever even booked one Hilton 5k hotel. I have one coming up in Bali. If I ever go to Egypt, I know they have tons of them there. I would guess that the majority of people have found more use with IHG's pointbreaks than Hilton's 5k cat hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.