FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   $1000 cash stolen from IC Washington DC Waterfront (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1883158-1000-cash-stolen-ic-washington-dc-waterfront.html)

Mauibaby2008 Dec 16, 2017 4:00 pm

$1000 cash stolen from IC Washington DC Waterfront

so this just happened to my mother in law 48 hours ago. She came to the US from South America. She purchased a new home here, and if you know what it is like trying to transfer cash internationally it’s a huge hassle. So she came two days ago with $4,000 in cash, before going to her new home I got her two nights at this new hotel (thought it was nice, brand new IC, what could go wrong)

well she was sight seeing for the day with $4,000 cash in her wallet in the hotel room I’m guessing not in the safe. She returns to the room, “do not disturb” sign was taken off the door and the room was serviced. Upon returning she noticed her purse was out of place. $1000 was missing of $4000.

police were called, hotel is investigating. They told my MIL they can stay a third night to wait for the results of the investigation, and the hotel may or may not comp the third night - depending on what they come up with.

She is a very honest lady. She is not trying to scam the hotel. I asked her to triple check that she did not misplace it - she says no. How likely is it, housekeeping ??? took $1000 of $4000 hoping she did not notice until too late?

YES how stupid to leave so much cash in a hotel room. Other than making sure everything is on paper or written down from hotel management? What should I suggest they do?

markis10 Dec 16, 2017 4:01 pm

The hotel liability blurb on the back of the door is there for a reason, as are in room safes and storage facilities at reception.

Mauibaby2008 Dec 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 29182460)
The hotel liability blurb on the back of the door is there for a reason, as are in room safes and storage facilities at reception.

oh I am so confused by the stupidity of her actions. I do think she thought the upscale nature of the hotel she would be ok.

what is the likely result? They say sorry you’re SOL? I mean I doubt the thief says oh yeah yeah I took it.

markis10 Dec 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 29182467)
oh I am so confused by the stupidity of her actions. I do think she thought the upscale nature of the hotel she would be ok.

what is the likely result? They say sorry you’re SOL? I mean I doubt the thief says oh yeah yeah I took it.

Stupidity is probably a bit harsh, complacency would be more apt. It’s easy to be lulled into a false sense of security at times, I had a laptop stolen from an airline lounge because I thought it was secure, little did I know the CCTV wasn’t working, a fact the staff would have known.

I suspect the likely result will be dependant on what on what evidence is on offer, ie CCTV

JumboJet Dec 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Geez it the United States, everything that isn't nailed down is likely to get stolen.

puchong Dec 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 29182467)

I think that is very understandable, and the consequences in this case are awful. CCTV is likely to be useless if the theft occurred in the hotel room. Ultimately, you have to add it to life's lessons learned.

Mauibaby2008 Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 29182525)
I think that is very understandable, and the consequences in this case are awful. CCTV is likely to be useless if the theft occurred in the hotel room. Ultimately, you have to add it to life's lessons learned.

and that’s what I did tell her. Difficult to trace cash.. the hotel said they would check who accessed the room, but they haven’t heard back from the hotel yet that’s why they stayed a third night to hear the “results” but nothing yet.

OhDoctor Dec 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by JumboJet (Post 29182521)
Geez it the United States, everything that isn't nailed down is likely to get stolen.

Sort of an unfair characterization, don't you think?

Jaimito Cartero Dec 16, 2017 6:12 pm

It’s a sad story. I doubt they will find the culprit. Likely a hotel employee, of course. A real thief would had taken all the money. Even if it had been in the safety box in the room, it’s often not covered.

I’d leave a Tripadvisor review about the experience.

beachmouse Dec 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Per a manager of an upscale hotel who posts here at times, her property and many of its peers require that housekeeping cleans with a door propped open for the safety of their employees- too many bad behavior incidents from guests if cleaning happens with a guest in the room and the door shut. So IMO theft is just as likely to get a crime of opportunity by another guest if a housekeeper is called away from the room currently being cleaned with a door open.

markis10 Dec 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 29182525)
CCTV is likely to be useless if the theft occurred in the hotel room. Ultimately, you have to add it to life's lessons learned.

Depends on how many people it shows entering the room, if it covers that angle.

pharmawalk Dec 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Its obvious who took the money.

FLYGVA Dec 17, 2017 1:22 am

Originally Posted by JumboJet (Post 29182521)

That is a bit too general ... Please remain on topic as I think the OP was referering to this incident in general and not that it happend in the US

FLYGVA
moderator IHG Forum

garykung Dec 17, 2017 1:40 am

While I am sympathetic to OP's MIL, it is a SOL issue.

htb Dec 17, 2017 3:21 am

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 29182460)

That is correct. However, that still doesn't give anyone the right to take $1000, nor does it make that person immune to criminal prosecution.

Judge: "Why did you take the money?"
Defendant: "It was clearly written on the door that the hotel would take no responsibility for valuables stolen when not placed into the safe."

HTB.