Wiki Posts
Search

No Plat/Spire upgrade at HIEx?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
No Plat/Spire upgrade at HIEx?

Upon check-in at a Holiday Inn Express here in HK, I was told that IHG Platinum are no longer to an upgrade at HIEx properties as almost all the rooms are standard.

They were prepared to make an exception for me because I've been staying here for the past 3 years and almost always in the suite.

Has anyone else faced this?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: BA: Bronze, IHG: Spire Elite, HHonors: Diamond Elite
I've had this before in HIEx properties. I think there challenge is that there are no upgradable rooms, ie. they only have standard rooms. so there's nothing to upgrade you in to. They do offer higher floors etc. to try and help out.

Roy.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
The few times that I have stayed in a HIX the booking has been modified to a room with an extra sofa bed and on a high floor, I guess that they don't have bigger than this. I have a booking next month and see the same
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:06 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Novel concept, a HIX with suites.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The problem is, most HIX don't have rooms to upgrade elites into. However, there's still a good chance that you'll get a better room, e.g. higher floor, away from elevator etc. I've always gotten a higher floor room, and I've never been in a basement room beside the elevator.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
There's one that I've been to a few times where a Jacuzzi Room, even if not a suite, is an upgrade as they charge more for it.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Just a quick reminder HIEX in USA and HIEX in Europe is VERY different beast. Not sure about Asia though.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by solewalker
The problem is, most HIX don't have rooms to upgrade elites into. However, there's still a good chance that you'll get a better room, e.g. higher floor, away from elevator etc. I've always gotten a higher floor room, and I've never been in a basement room beside the elevator.
Agreed, that's the best that most HIX here in the UK can offer though better than nothing at all. However at Poole and Burnley HIX that do have "Superior" rooms - albeit they're just top floor rooms that have been refurbished more recently than the others and are actually charged more for - then they do tend to allocate them as proper upgrades to elite members.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
In the US I am frequently upgraded to a "suite" as Plat/Spire at HIX hotels. This is generally a slightly-larger room with a sitting area featuring a sofa and a coffee table. That's about all I expect at a limited service property, BTW.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:38 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by markis10
Novel concept, a HIX with suites.
They do exist. HIX Zhabei in Shanghai always give me a two room suite with a large living room with couch and coffee table, plus the usual desk area. Not too bad for under US$40.

Otherwise, usually most of the HIX in stay in frequently just gives me the largest room available, noted in the res online before arrival.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
In the US I am frequently upgraded to a "suite" as Plat/Spire at HIX hotels. This is generally a slightly-larger room with a sitting area featuring a sofa and a coffee table. That's about all I expect at a limited service property, BTW.
Those are "junior suites"; some HIX properties have genuine separate-bedroom suites. My last suite upgrade at an HIX, the "living room" (lounge) was a conference room with a table that seated a dozen!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Those are "junior suites"; some HIX properties have genuine separate-bedroom suites. My last suite upgrade at an HIX, the "living room" (lounge) was a conference room with a table that seated a dozen!
I'm pretty sure the Seattle Airport Holiday Inn & Suites is a conversion from something else because their upgrade is a two room suite (plus bathroom) with kitchen area, including 3/4 size fridge and dishwasher, but no pots, china, or other kitchen items provided.

Fair number of properties in North America branded as 'Holiday Inn & Suites' where room size expectations are larger.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They used to have those items included. I suspect they're available on request? A year ago I realized I needed a corkscrew for my wine; the desk clerk brought one up from housekeeping.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I'm pretty sure the Seattle Airport Holiday Inn & Suites is a conversion from something else because their upgrade is a two room suite (plus bathroom) with kitchen area, including 3/4 size fridge and dishwasher, but no pots, china, or other kitchen items provided.

Fair number of properties in North America branded as 'Holiday Inn & Suites' where room size expectations are larger.
Except that this thread is about Holiday Inn Express, which is a totally separate brand from all other versions of Holiday Inn, including Holiday Inn & Suites.

Holiday Inn Express (at least in the USA) has a self-service limited complimentary breakfast and no restaurant.

Holiday Inn, or Holiday Inn & Suites, has an actual restaurant (and generally no complimentary breakfast).
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The property is a Holiday Inn Express; the Seattle Airport Holiday Inn became a CP a couple of years ago. You would have been better off not seizing on this one, as typo aside, it was on-thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.