FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Is it ok to sell ambassador weekend certificate on ebay? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1844390-ok-sell-ambassador-weekend-certificate-ebay.html)

336 Jan 30, 2019 9:05 am

Chances are slim. But let's find out...

MikeFromTokyo Jan 30, 2019 9:18 am

The paper certificates have membership numer and expiation date printed on them, so if an hotel does look closely they will know it was not issued to you. Whether the look closely or care is another matter...

EdV Jan 30, 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 30719038)
The paper certificates have membership numer and expiation date printed on them, so if an hotel does look closely they will know it was not issued to you. Whether the look closely or care is another matter...

Mine does not. It being from 2005 it has neither a membership number, nor an expiration date on it. This was in the early days of RA referral certs. Perhaps the later ones do but mine most certainly does not. Heck, it even lists the renewal fee as $100 (vs the what, $200 that it is today)?

MikeFromTokyo Jan 30, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by EdV (Post 30719523)
Mine does not. It being from 2005 it has neither a membership number, nor an expiration date on it. This was in the early days of RA referral certs. Perhaps the later ones do but mine most certainly does not. Heck, it even lists the renewal fee as $100 (vs the what, $200 that it is today)?

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about weekend night certificates.

I am surprised an old referral certificate would even still work.

EdV Jan 31, 2019 8:37 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 30719547)

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about weekend night certificates.

I am surprised an old referral certificate would even still work.

I don't see why it wouldn't given no expiration date on it. I'd expect them to charge the current fee but other than that I'd fight for it to be honored. I'm still using drink tickets on United from late 90s I think? The pursers love when I bring them out but honor them. They always ask if I'd prefer the free headset or beverage. :cool:

MikeFromTokyo Jan 31, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by EdV (Post 30723511)
I don't see why it wouldn't given no expiration date on it. I'd expect them to charge the current fee but other than that I'd fight for it to be honored. I'm still using drink tickets on United from late 90s I think? The pursers love when I bring them out but honor them. They always ask if I'd prefer the free headset or beverage. :cool:

I’ll bet the senior FAs who were with UA and remember those certificates particularly enjoy seeing them:)

I actually really miss pre-merger UA. I miss the United tulip logo, three classes of service, and an airline that actually treated loyal flyers well. Present day UA is still far better than DL, but I still liked it better before the CO merger... YMMV.

scienm Jan 31, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by EdV (Post 30718486)
Even if one tries to redeem one from say 2005 that has no expiration date on it? I do still have one from March, 2005 when I was RA that I never used. I sat on it for a while trying to figure out what to do with it but now that I'm fully SPG / Marriott I no longer have need. I can't see how ICHG would object to redeeming a cert with no expiration date on it?

Ohh.. crisis.. chances are slim, but you can try. Why don't you contact the Ambassador Services to find out? Ask for a supervisor and someone would answer for it. You may push them but you need to be RA at least to do it. :)

MikeFromTokyo Jan 31, 2019 10:31 am

Originally Posted by scienm (Post 30723888)
Ohh.. crisis.. chances are slim, but you can try. Why don't you contact the Ambassador Services to find out? Ask for a supervisor and someone would answer for it. But I think you need to be RA at least to request it. :)

LOL call Ambassador Services in Manila and ask about a twenty year old certificate... that should be a laugh:D

It would be fun to see what the response would be if the request were directed at the right person at the corporate or senior customer service level.