Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I would really like to know if that means 5x base points only (60x per dollar for Spire elite?) or 5x total points (100x points per dollar for Spire elite) that would make a big difference. After reading below I’m still not sure what a Spire elite would earn ... I have tweeted IHG for their interpretation, they said they would have to get back to me regarding this. Looks to be YMMV at the moment
Maybe Clause 10 & 12 have explained and give the answer.
10. The 5X Points Award will be calculated on the room rate only, and will not include any other charges billed to your hotel room portfolio. To receive the 5X Points Award, your IHG Rewards Club number must be added to your reservation before check-out at the hotel. IHG Rewards Club Members with a miles earning preference will earn Points.
12. The 5X Points Award for a valid Program claim will not exceed 40,000 points. The portion of the 5X Points Award that is above and beyond what you otherwise would have earned on the room rate for your stay, will be awarded as bonus points and will not count towards your IHG Rewards Club membership tier status. The 5X Points Award will have no effect on, nor be affected by, the points you would otherwise earn for your hotel stay, pursuant to the IHG Rewards Club Terms and Conditions.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

oh my god that is terrible

Well, we've had a good (but bumpy!) ride.

This will be far easier for IHG to run, and might create an easier and more relaxed process: though it's unlikely to be popular.

For an extra few thousand bonus-only points it's really not worth the faff. Depending on the price difference, it could be more sensible simply to book through the cheaper channel.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by shahr04360
Maybe Clause 10 & 12 have explained and give the answer.
so the base points have been multiplied by 5, so that would be 60 points per dollar ? 10 base x 5 = 50 + Spire bonus 60? Or 10 base x 5 = 50 + 100% bonus = 100 points per dollar

Ok I just re read it and I think it’s 60 per dollar 10 base x 5 = 50 + Spire bonus = 60

I can be really dense sometimes
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:04 pm

i'm curious about the split between people trying to get a free night or people actually using the guarantee lol
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
i'm curious about the split between people trying to get a free night or people actually using the guarantee lol
You cannot use "the guarantee" until your claim is approved and we all know how the IHG call centre in the Philippines have been handling claims in the past couple of years. And whether they give you a free night or a bunch of useless points, so long as the claims process remains deviously opaque, it does not help at all.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I guess I can't sue them anymore :/

Again, why IHG would actually pay a call center to destroy their business integrity is beyond me.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

by "people actually using the guarantee" I guess you mean those booking a hotel through IHG, then, through curiosity or serendipity, and in the subsequent 24H period, coming across another online travel agency offering the same accommodation at a cheaper rate and thinking I'm not happy about this - now how does that guarantee thing work?

I imagine that represents a vanishingly small group of innocents.

IHG threw down a challenge and I think most of the claims would come from those rising to that challenge, searching for the free night.
belfordrocks likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Brg

Hasn’t this happened before and they reverted back to free nights anyway - bonus points is carp - better to have a fixed percentage off tbh
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
It looks like the Lowest price guarantee is still providing a free night. It's just the best price guarantee that is being pulled.

Pretty confusing, but the LPP T&C makes clear there is a difference between it and the BPG, including a different claim form. Also the LPP applies to hotels in Europe only, with a few exclusions. LPP T&C were updated 31-Dec-2017.

Info courtesy of Insidflyer.co.uk here:
https://insideflyer.co.uk/2018/01/ih...price-promise/
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
by "people actually using the guarantee" I guess you mean those booking a hotel through IHG, then, through curiosity or serendipity, and in the subsequent 24H period, coming across another online travel agency offering the same accommodation at a cheaper rate and thinking I'm not happy about this - now how does that guarantee thing work?
Even if you were to find the cheaper rate first, you were still required to book the more expensive room with IHG and then hope the BRG was honored. It sounds like as of late there's been a number to call....I think at one point it was an online form, which at least in my experience was not reviewed for hours.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:29 pm

Interesting development with the LPP vs. the BRG. I had never even heard of the LPP before now. The LPP terms seem to be more favorable than BRG. Under the LPP you just need to find a rate that is the same or lower than the "Your Rate" on the IHG site.
But now, under both programs, the cancellation terms must match. It used to be with the BRG that if the lowest rate was cancellable you could book that and compare with another site's non-cancellable rate.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:59 pm

I imagine that represents a vanishingly small group of innocents.

IHG threw down a challenge and I think most of the claims would come from those rising to that challenge, searching for the free night.
lol ihg made the brg program so it would be a challenge? ahahah no
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lol ihg made the brg program so it would be a challenge? ahahah no
No. IHG introduced the programme (largely) to identify situations where hotels undercut the IHG's site offer price for rooms on alternative OTAs. It was also very effective marketing.

They implemented the programme by challenging guests to find a cheaper offer for the room, and so get one night of their stay for free. I think they probably never expected the frenzy that grew out of this. That was naive of them

They gradually toughened up the rules of their game so as to achieve their identification goal, but deny the free night.

Heck, when the thing started, I remember it was possible to discuss the claim over the phone and even get helpful advice from the agents. I believe it's quite different now ...
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:00 am

Bpg vs llp

thanks tangey for the insight/info, this makes sense as some point last year I started getting emails from llp not bpg. Suppose its time to split the threads one for llp one for bpg..
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:01 am

No. IHG introduced the programme (largely) to identify situations where hotels undercut the IHG's site offer price for rooms on alternative OTAs. It was also very effective marketing.

They implemented the programme by challenging guests to find a cheaper offer for the room, and so get one night of their stay for free. I think they probably never expected the frenzy that grew out of this. That was naive of them

They gradually toughened up the rules of their game so as to achieve their identification goal, but deny the free night.

Heck, when the thing started, I remember it was possible to discuss the claim over the phone and even get helpful advice from the agents. I believe it's quite different now ...
yeah, remember that ... blogger! Ruined it

Last edited by jpdx; Apr 10, 2018 at 11:15 am Reason: removed reference to blogger's religion

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.