Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by patgarrett
As always, blame the serial abusers and especially the bloggers (a Belgian springs to mind).
Do you think there's been a spike since he posted the article? I certainly wasn't aware till then!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
IHG confirmed that ONLY non refundable rates qualify if that is the lowest price even if the competing rate is refundable! All ihg booking cancelled today! Thank goodness they were refundable
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by ringingup
Do you think there's been a spike since he posted the article? I certainly wasn't aware till then!
Its a ridiculous system now but I havent read any blog posts about this! If the system is broken change it but dont make it useless!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias
IHG confirmed that ONLY non refundable rates qualify if that is the lowest price even if the competing rate is refundable! All ihg booking cancelled today! Thank goodness they were refundable
There are still options where the lowest rate is a refundable ones, but even when I found a legitimate one that was refundable it still got denied. Arguing with them is a waste of time usually, so I'll just leave it be. they seem to only be holding the red pen right now. Denials for everyone!

I've got a bunch of paid stays coming up with them that I'm not able to cancel, but if this continues I will definitely explore other programs to see what else is being offered.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm assuming that there's no "grace period" to cancel a non-refundable IHG rate?

I have a situation where a competitor (Priceline) has lower refundable and non-refundable rates than Holiday Inn on a hotel I'd like to stay at. My refundable BRG was denied because IHG's non-refundable rate is lower than Priceline's refundable rate.

Without having a way to cancel, I'm not willing to "try my luck" booking the non-refundable IHG rate and submitting a BRG for Priceline's lower non-refundable rate.

BTW, do most IHG non-refundable rates require a 2 week advance purchase? If so, that would seem to be the possible window to attempt a BRG in this situation.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by AAtticus
Claim denied after just 20 minutes. Booked Best Flex Rate (only available) with breakfast as the other site's lower rate had breakfast included. Denied on the basis that I had to book the lowest available rate (without breakfast). OTA with breakfast was still cheaper than IHG without breakfast but not a valid claim. This new rule is ridiculous and is completely against point 8 from their T&C imo.
This is the worst change to their "interpretation" of the rules. Example:

Price in IHG site (with breakfast): €180
Price on other website (with breakfast): €100

This is not a small price difference!!

Only rooms with breakfast are being offered on the other site. Soon hotels will learn (if they haven't been told already) to only sell cheaper rooms to wholesalers including breakfast, to bypass the price guarantee.

Answer: DENIED. There is cheaper "Room only" on IHG site for €170. But if you book this Room Only, they say that you can't compare it to the cheaper €100 price, because it has breakfast!! Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I guess it won't be long until someone goes to the advertizing complaints association because this is a really misleading practice they have started. I have lost respect for IHG for resorting to this. If you can't deliver your promise, you should stop advertizing it and admit you can't give the best price.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:16 pm

They will end up losing business with practices like these for sure! Just my opinion!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by patgarrett
As always, blame the serial abusers and especially the bloggers (a Belgian springs to mind).
who was it?

EDIT: Figured it out
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mitpat474
who was it?

EDIT: Figured it out
congrats cuz i still haven't been able too! lol
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Diamond Elite, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Same issue with me. I booked a hotel in New York and found a lower rate on Expedia for the exact same room. BRG refused to match the rate so I cancelled it and booked a room at the Hilton for 1/2 the cost.

Has anyone tried escalating this issue within the BRG group?

I got a "Subject Matter Expert" and a "Senior Case Manager" who responded the same way. I have asked to speak to the head of the department to provide updated T&C and clear training guidelines so I can better understand when do they actually honour a BRG.

No response if I'll get in contact with Sr MGMT.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by trademark101

Has anyone tried escalating this issue within the BRG group?

I got a "Subject Matter Expert" and a "Senior Case Manager" who responded the same way. I have asked to speak to the head of the department to provide updated T&C and clear training guidelines so I can better understand when do they actually honour a BRG.

No response if I'll get in contact with Sr MGMT.
Honestly, don't waste your time. You'll get nowhere. There's zero accountability on any level. The titles mean nothing. The entire operation in the Philippines is staffed by kids with maybe a 22 year-old in charge who's there solely on the basis of running a canteen in Manila three years ago.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:57 am

Best to reward the program that rewards you! If you feel like IHG has a hood program stick to it, if you feel like they are sticking it to you then take your business elswhere

I am in between the two and just moved some of my stays to other companies due to these BPG jokers
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:22 am

Claims more difficuilt

BRGs are definitely getting more difficult.

Booked room at Indigo Helsinki with breakfast, found better rate amoma. Claim denied due to statement that lowest possible cost room has to be booked (i booked the cheapest room but with breakfast). Hence any addition of breakfast is basis for denial of claim.

I cancelled the reservation and rebooked the same room without breakfast. Claim again denied because amoma offers same room but with breakfast, hence rooms are not same.

Previously this claim would be approved since amoma offers same room with better option (breakfast) for lower price, but now IHGs best rate guarantee should be definitely renamed to something else.

IHG and other chains should not advertise best rate guarantee (implying simply they offer the best option) in such a way they do, when in fact I can book same room with better options for lower price somewhere else and they deny claim for BRG.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ahadu
BRGs are definitely getting more difficult.

Booked room at Indigo Helsinki with breakfast, found better rate amoma. Claim denied due to statement that lowest possible cost room has to be booked (i booked the cheapest room but with breakfast). Hence any addition of breakfast is basis for denial of claim.

I cancelled the reservation and rebooked the same room without breakfast. Claim again denied because amoma offers same room but with breakfast, hence rooms are not same.

Previously this claim would be approved since amoma offers same room with better option (breakfast) for lower price, but now IHGs best rate guarantee should be definitely renamed to something else.

IHG and other chains should not advertise best rate guarantee (implying simply they offer the best option) in such a way they do, when in fact I can book same room with better options for lower price somewhere else and they deny claim for BRG.
Yes, they really took a bad turn by saying room+breakfast is not the cheapest fare anymore because you could have booked the room without the breakfast.
Well, one could argue that but honestly imo having additional breakfast is something completely different.
Their new t&c are very vague about that, it doesnt even say if you can book a fully cancellable rate now (best flex) when advance saver is still available and claim it with a matching cancellation policy fare from an OTA (and yes, they do exist but are very rare!)

Your best bet now is looking for hotels that have breakfast always included (mostly Holiday Inns) or go for Club Rooms.

I always got a room in the city I wanted to visit but not always at the hotel I wanted to stay at. I have seen some very weird denial reasons, such as, the rate on the OTA (the biggest there is in the world btw) is wrongly loaded in the GDS and is the rate of a different hotel (srsly?)
Or stuff like saying the t&c say not instant confirmation but they copied the t&c of eticketing rules of the flights t&c.

You really can't do anything then, sometimes they also overlook things but I must say, even argueing that their denial reasons are sometimes really messed up, its the best program there is since it offers the 1st night free with no min. stay!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Diamond Elite, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I guess my brief experience with IHG has been less than positive. I was really hoping that it would work out because they have some great promos and great hotel properties.

I've sent a complaint to the competition bureau of Canada under the competition act to investigate their vague T&C and their potentially misleading guarantee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.