FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1837243-new-ihg-best-rate-guarantee-discussion-feedback-january-2016-a.html)

emkay Feb 9, 2016 12:43 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal (Post 26150917)
I am not prepared to take that risk over a similar amount of money for a prepaid non-cancellable rate.

you know there are ways around that risk?

nacho Feb 9, 2016 1:17 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory (Post 26153726)
I think I have found a candidate for a best rate claim, but before I book, I would like to know if there are any pitfalls.
Maybe one of you guys can help?

I first made a refundable booking and sent in a best rate claim for a refundable rate at another website (the cancellation policy was slightly differed, but I thought it was worth a shot).
The claim was denied because I could have booked a non-refundable rate.

So now I cancelled the refundable rate, but I'm hesitating to book a non-refundable rate, as long as I don't know that it's likely they will accept the claim.

Here are the details:

Rate type: Non-refundable ("Advance Saver Rate")
Room type: (same)
Breakfast included: No
No. of adults: 2
No. of nights: 1
Immediate confirmation: Yes
IHG rate: 320 GBP (hotel currency)
3rd party rate: 315.25 GBP

Do you see anything they could use as an excuse for denying my claim?
If not, I would book it.
Thanks.

Have yo tried logging into IHG rewards? If there is a rewards rate that is cheaper than GBP 320, they will definitely turn you down too.

IHG is playing unfair about this - it's crazy that they compare members only rate to publicly available rate. At the same time they don't accept any rate that requires you sign up for a free membership.

miadukes Feb 9, 2016 6:43 am

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 26155640)
Have yo tried logging into IHG rewards? If there is a rewards rate that is cheaper than GBP 320, they will definitely turn you down too.

IHG is playing unfair about this - it's crazy that they compare members only rate to publicly available rate. At the same time they don't accept any rate that requires you sign up for a free membership.

I have to say, and not because I got turned down for something similar as it was my first go at it and really i expected it, im new at this, but its crazy that they get to choose what to compare it to and i dont. for example in my case a refundable with a refunadble but they cited a non refundable rate was cheaper. Well I dont book non refundable lol

and in this case itd be a member rate vs public rate.

ChocolateFactory Feb 9, 2016 8:29 am

Usually I would like to book a cheaper hotel, but all hotels seem to be really expensive in London.
I don't really see any value in staying at a HIX for 90 GBP...

But what are they going to say to deny my claim?
This looks like a pretty clear case, provided the cheap rate is still available on the 3rd party website?

tys90 Feb 9, 2016 10:19 am

Originally Posted by emkay (Post 26155564)
you know there are ways around that risk?

Can you expand on this? How?

htb Feb 9, 2016 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by luftair (Post 26154127)
cancellation deadline

Different taxes imagined by the BRG team. Different currency imagined by the BRG team. Some kind of included or excluded benefit imagined by the BRG team. BRG team can't find the cheaper rate. BRG team never receives your claim and then claims you have claimed too late. BRG team has the cheaper rate corrected and then immediately rejects your claim. The IHG rate goes down after you book and the BRG team will reject your claim because there's a cheaper rate available. There may be a cheaper rate available on a Japanese-only version that belongs to IHG and the BRG team will deny your claim because you didn't book the cheapest rate available on any IHG website.

I'm sure others (and the BRG team) can come up with more ways to deny your claim.

HTB.

emkay Feb 9, 2016 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by tys90 (Post 26157525)
Can you expand on this? How?

vcc

highlanderfil Feb 9, 2016 3:36 pm

IHG rate: $166 (non-refundable, standard room)
Priceline rate: $104 (same terms/room type)

Denied because they can't replicate. Apparently it's a rate visible on Priceline only when you log in. The way I read article 7 of their T&Cs, it's still a public rate. Stay tuned for more...

Boddingtons Feb 9, 2016 3:45 pm

So based on recent posts is it correct to assume that it is not possible to claim for a breakfast inclusive rate unless either

a) there is no room only rate available

or

b) the breakfast inclusive rate is lower than the room only rate?

Or have they taken things to extremes to suggest that one must book the 'lowest available rate', literally, meaning it would not be possible to claim against anything other than whatever the cheapest room type is on any given day?

I wonder how they'll be interpretted next month!? :rolleyes:

ChocolateFactory Feb 9, 2016 4:30 pm

I should have listened to you.
I couldn't resist the urge to gamble and made a non-refundable booking, and now the rate on the third-party website happens to be higher, after it had stayed the same for several days.
Really smells like they have had it fixed...

yerffej201 Feb 9, 2016 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Boddingtons (Post 26159308)
So based on recent posts is it correct to assume that it is not possible to claim for a breakfast inclusive rate unless either

a) there is no room only rate available

or

b) the breakfast inclusive rate is lower than the room only rate?

Or have they taken things to extremes to suggest that one must book the 'lowest available rate', literally, meaning it would not be possible to claim against anything other than whatever the cheapest room type is on any given day?

I wonder how they'll be interpretted next month!? :rolleyes:

Your interpretation has been my interpretation also.

nacho Feb 10, 2016 2:03 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory (Post 26159523)
I couldn't resist the urge to gamble and made a non-refundable booking, and now the rate on the third-party website happens to be higher, after it had stayed the same for several days.

That's the reason why I never do non-refundable booking as IHG tends to sell their rooms at a much higher price than e.g. hotwire (I know it's not a fair comparison but if you are travelling on your own dime then it becomes relevant).

I found out about this when I was looking for reviews at TA, e.g. CP Suites Houston Sugarland are selling at $159 at IHG and people get them for as low as $59 at Hotwire. Hotwire is easy to guess and you find plenty of hints online.

I booked their extortion rates because of the bonus points/promo, otherwise I might as well book it somewhere else.

Hopefully you can stack your stay with the promo to get some extra points.

scubaccr Feb 10, 2016 4:54 am

But like you said all similar standard hotels that location+date pairing are similar rates so you did not overpay as you would have booked circa £300/night rate at any hotel you booked this date

Also your OTA rate was only £5 less so was well worth investing the £5 on ihg.com direct to have chance on a free night.

Denial is much more annoying when sometimes you find OTA at say 2/3 of ihg online rate, in which case if you win one from three bpg's and pay full ihg rate twice then alas you save no money over buying OTA room 3x

Once OTA discount us 30-50% these days better not to risk bpg denial and simply go ahead and book your room on the OTA. Also applies now one can you non-transparent sites for even cheaper room rates if not needing to try a bpg claim

Also if under IHG 2016 interpretation of t+c's , if I can only book and bpg cheapest entry level room, I don't always want the room

highlanderfil Feb 10, 2016 1:57 pm

Wouldn't put it past them (after all, the intent of BRG programs - per Marriott, anyways - is to help us find the cheaper rates so that they can fine the websites that post them). This program is a crock of .... and I really hope someone someday takes IHG to court over it.

I really hope IHG reads these forums. I am literally at a point where I am going to use up my points as soon as I can, cancel my IHG card and walk the hell away from their program. Spire member, by the way. I hate to see how they treat people without status.

ChocolateFactory Feb 10, 2016 2:20 pm

Starwood's best rate guarantee, on the other hand, seems really fair...