Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access Changes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
Now they denied access and I got no benefit at all, but wasted money for a higher room category, which had no benefit at all, just a slighty bigger room.

after over 15 years it is time to switch to others. How to burn 1.5 million points before they expire?
same here, even though their lounge is usually completely empty...

Pointbreaks would be a good opportunity - you could stay nearly a year in IHG properties with 1.5 million booked at 5000 points... You could also transfer them to some other member - e.g. I will not stay on revenue with IHG anymore but happy to use point breaks...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nvoi
same here, even though their lounge is usually completely empty...

Pointbreaks would be a good opportunity - you could stay nearly a year in IHG properties with 1.5 million booked at 5000 points... You could also transfer them to some other member - e.g. I will not stay on revenue with IHG anymore but happy to use point breaks...
thanks very much nvoi
where can I find information about this "Pointbreaks"?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:51 pm

thanks very much nvoi
where can I find information about this "Pointbreaks"?
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/cont...ds/pointbreaks

See More. Do More. Get More from IHG® Rewards Club.
Here's your chance to catch a break. With IHG® Rewards Club PointBreaks®, Reward Nights are yours for only 5,000 points per night.

Due to the limited availability, each member may only book two PointBreaks® Reward Nights reservations per hotel during the special offer time period. Offer and participating hotels are subject to change at any time, valid for booking through July 31, 2017. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply. To view participating properties, simply click one of the regions below.

Please note that Reward Nights booked through PointBreaks® may not be sold or used for commercial gains. Doing so is a program violation and may result in the freezing of your account, the forfeiture of all point transfers, rewards, vouchers, or merchandise issued pursuant to point redemptions and any accrued points or miles in your account, as well as cancellation of the account and your future participation in the Program.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
after over 15 years it is time to switch to others. How to burn 1.5 million points before they expire?
You can burn some points every year and your points won't expire.

I recommend that you burn points as much as you can, as they devalue over time, but I wouldn't panic about them expiring unless you think you'll go more than a year without redeeming points.

Bullet 13 from the Terms and Conditions:
Expiration of points. Points do not expire unless your account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer. To maintain the points in your account, you must have at least one earn or redeem transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. If you do not keep your account active for any period of twelve (12) months or more, all of your points may expire which means your points will be removed from your account and are no longer able to be redeemed. Points in your account do not expire for all current Elite members, although all of your points may expire twelve (12) months after your account moves to Club level from an Elite level without earn or redeem activity.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Just saw this thread.

I have the same experience at the IC Park Lane where I enquired about upgrades and found I would be upgraded to a room that normally has club access but it wont be extended to me unless I pay extra.

I wont cross post the content but as it is relevant to this thread, my experience is here. Including a review of the T&Cs.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...merged-40.html

Globalist
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
I had feedback from the ambassador helpdesk when I asked for clarification.

Platinum Elite and Spire Elite members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms and this includes Club rooms. If a member wants to get a Club Lounge access then there will be a separate charge for it

This includes upgrade to a Club rooms however, Club lounge access may not be included and the hotel may require additional charges for you to get it. Again, it's at the discretion of the hotel to determine how much of an upgrade they are able to extend.
Unlike the Hilton program:
If you are a Hilton Honors guest with Gold status, you and up to one additional registered guest in the same room will be granted complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge only if you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor or an upgrade to a room type that confers Executive Floor Lounge access benefits.
It is clear, but I personally think this is a poor show from the IHG Rewards Club.

Globalist
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Globalist
It is clear, but I personally think this is a poor show from the IHG Rewards Club.

Globalist
Agreed.

i in many cases preferred IHG but since the implementation of these changes have modified my bookings to be at IHG or Marriott where possible.
​​​​​​​
Suggest you do the same if possible.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by PayItForward
thanks
pretty lousy and for me useless promtion though as I use mainly Hotels in Asia (only 1 (!!!) participating) and Europe (only few participating)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nvoi
Agreed.

i in many cases preferred IHG but since the implementation of these changes have modified my bookings to be at IHG or Marriott where possible.
​​​​​​​
Suggest you do the same if possible.
Except this thread is really about non IC properties with lounges, which mostly means Crowne Plaza brand.

Previously CP stays Access foc to lounge was at whim of individual CP hotel franchise. The ones that gave access were consistent, eg CP the City London was giving lounge every stay, whilst CP Birmingham UK only gave lounge if they had a club-room upgrade available when you checked in.

Regards IC brand lounge access, that has never been an entitlement even if Amb booked 1cat below a lounge, and received the 1cat upgrade.

At least at the mentioned IC-Park lane, the london exec room is indeed a better room the a "plain exec room".

There are alas many hotels where superior-deluxe-club-j.suite-fullsuite progession has club-rooms that are just normal dlx/superior rooms with lounge access benefit attached.... or hard to spot benefit such as higher threadcount sheets/bigger tv/coffee machine versus kettle.

Whether IC or IHG the advice remains if you want a specific room or lounge on a stay, then book that in the first place.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just saw this thread. I've been a Spire Elite for two years and stay in a lot of international properties. I don't recall ever being offered club access but maybe I had it at some properties but didn't ask?

Checked into the Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing two days ago and they upgraded me to a larger room on club floor and when I asked about breakfast she explained that lounge access was included as a Spire member with breakfast and happy hour in lounge. Is this lounge access "standard" for international crowne plazas or did I just get lucky because I was upgraded to club floor?

It would be nice to have a reasonable expectation in advance whether I'm getting the free breakfast as it does affect where I book; I know at Hilton properties it's guaranteed for me but at IHG properties I don't know what to expect.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I just saw this thread. I've been a Spire Elite for two years and stay in a lot of international properties. I don't recall ever being offered club access but maybe I had it at some properties but didn't ask?

Checked into the Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing two days ago and they upgraded me to a larger room on club floor and when I asked about breakfast she explained that lounge access was included as a Spire member with breakfast and happy hour in lounge. Is this lounge access "standard" for international crowne plazas or did I just get lucky because I was upgraded to club floor?

It would be nice to have a reasonable expectation in advance whether I'm getting the free breakfast as it does affect where I book; I know at Hilton properties it's guaranteed for me but at IHG properties I don't know what to expect.
Lounge access is not a defined IHG Rewards benefit for Spire members. It is property dependent and is not an 'entitlement' for Spire members. When Spire status was created a few years ago, there was rumor that it might be added to Spire benefits for non-IC hotels, however, this did not happen.

There is another thread that discusses this topic:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...roperties.html
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:27 pm

there is no common policy and each property has its own. Most properties just upgrade ONE category and they have at least 2 or more room categories below club floor. Often the differences between rooms of different categories are not visible and just introduced, that they can pretend having offered an upgrade. And therefore if you book the cheapest room, you hardly get a chance to be upgraded to club floor and get loung access
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
there is no common policy and each property has its own. Most properties just upgrade ONE category and they have at least 2 or more room categories below club floor. Often the differences between rooms of different categories are not visible and just introduced, that they can pretend having offered an upgrade. And therefore if you book the cheapest room, you hardly get a chance to be upgraded to club floor and get loung access
IHG's upgrade policy has always been clearly stated and is in the T&C's. Their definition is clearly defined and subject to availability and does not specify a '1 category' upgrade. That term is only used in the Ambassador program. Upgrades to bigger/better rooms and/or lounge access should not be expected.

As per the T&Cs: "Platinum Elite and Spire Elite Members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, subject to and based on availability, and will only apply to the Member's personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade Members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefits will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation, or to Holiday Inn Express hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. Upgrade benefits may not be available at InterContinental Residences."
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

You got very lucky! CPs in Dubai are generally charging for Club Lounge now. As Spire Elite you are likely to get a Club room as an upgrade but Club Lounge access is chargeable, and quite expensive from what I've seen.

The only consistent thing with IHG membership is to expect the unexepected.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:51 am
Suspended

Club lounge access for Spire is guaranteed in Greater China Crowne Plaza and Indigo properties, or you will be given a F&B voucher per stay if there is no Club Lounge available. Unfortunately this policy has not been extended to regions outside Greater China. And this is not written in T&C. Travelling in China, a Spire member is better to book a CP to qualify for lounges. This measure is due to competition of Hilton and Marriott in China region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.