Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Welcome back to Brisbane IHG

Holiday Inn Express Brisbane Central

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

168 Wharf Street Spring Hill , Brisbane City QLD 4000

Welcome back to Brisbane IHG (16 Photos)

1_IMG_1527.JPG

Its not often you get to be the first person to use a hotel room but I was lucky enough when the new Brisbane Holiday Inn Express opened this week.

1_IMG_1508.JPG1_IMG_1509.JPGIMG_1511.JPGIMG_1512.JPG

Located 200m from Central station, I suppose the name Brisbane Central is appropriate, just keep in mind it's a fair walk from the more popular areas of the city such as the shopping precinct and Southbank etc. At night and on weekends the area is quiet and lacking in options, although up the hill is some nice eateries/pubs. 

Parking is available, keep in mind street parking out the front is not available in the afternoon peak hour where it becomes a tow away zone, as you can see from one of the photos.

Check In

Check in was quick and easy, sign the form, show a credit card and room keys were handed over, I had the feeling I was one of a very few guests staying. This was no surprise, given the original hotel opening date was April 3, a few weeks before opening it blew out to April 10 then last week went back to April 3. No doubt a few bookings were relocated!

Room

1_IMG_1515.JPG1_IMG_1517.JPG1_IMG_1518.JPG1_IMG_1519.JPG1_IMG_1520.JPG1_IMG_1521.JPG1_IMG_1522.JPG1_IMG_1523.JPG1_IMG_1526.JPG1_IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

The room is pretty much standard HIX fare. Everything you need and nothing more. You get an empty mini bar fridge, kettle, iron, safe as well as a Samsung TV with local channels and some cable channels as well, including a couple of movies.

Bathroom is again fairly standard of HIX in Asia PAC, shared door between shower and whole bathroom, reasonable room and very nice toiletries (much better than the HI and Crowne Plaza rubbish we get).

Bed was very comfortable and a choice of pillows was on offer that were very high quality. I love the pillows so much that I chased down the supplier when I first came across them in Darwin just after the refresh up there, was surprised to find out they come from a supplier just 10km from my home on Queensland's Sunshine Coast!

I was very happy with the room having been in a HIX before. Like the other lower scale offerings, room size makes a roll away almost impossible with a Queen bed already in the room.

Service

No issues here, being one of the few guests staying probably made it hard to judge to be frank. Being a no frills hotel also didn't help. 

I did use the guest laundry while I was there and at $2 a load something of a bargain, annoyingly one of the two washers was faulty (it's hard to get good tradies these days) but the front desk quickly organised a refund of my life's savings.

Overall

The HIX offers another great option for those looking for a reasonable hotel at a nice price, at least using points (20000 a night). Currently like most new hotels they seem to be still working out their place in the market. Midweek they are looking at $170+ a night, while the Ibis Styles is around $120 and the Four Points $150 as a comparison, all recently built alternatives.

The good thing about being new is the lack of tour groups, things were very quiet for my stay but I am sure that will change.

If your are looking for a bed after partying in the valley this hotel will suit nicely, if you don't mind a walk to shopping it will also suit nicely, while those on Business will also find most boxes ticked. 

The HIX won't suit everyone, but it will suit most, and as the IHG presence in Queensland has been shrinking it's nice to have a new option in my home town to earn and redeem points, welcome back to Brisbane IHG!

Welcome back to Brisbane IHG

Would you like to write a review on the Holiday Inn Express Brisbane Central?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:16 am

Thanks for posting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.