Kimpton De Witt Hotel Amsterdam (Master Thread)

Old May 29, 2021, 2:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Reporting live again from the Penthouse suite. At the moment having a very comfortable stay.

The day started with a warm welcome back from reception. They remembered us from our previous stay which is a nice touch.

I emailed ahead my preferences and the lady went in detail to discuss them. She was delighted to hear that i could mention the secret password as it is still fresh from the press.

We were granted an early checkin and could make use of our suite right away.
The suite was exactly the same as last time, it was clean and cool and thoughtfully set up again with plates and cutlery, a tea set and my InnerCircle welcome amenity.

Welcome amenity with a tea set

InnerCircle welcome amenity

The weather cooperating, we first went out to do some shopping and eating lunch at https://www.bhattipasal.nl and when we went back to the hotel we were surprised to see this on the dining table.

The secret password surprise + InnerCircle special

This is the secret password surprise.
A hipflask filled with the cocktail "Cosmic Daisy" for two.

And i think due to being InnerCircle, we were offered a hotel monogrammed copper hued cocktailshaker and keychain. Was genuinely surprised that they would make such an effort. I've read reports here on flyertalk that some Kimptons resorted to just handing out a candybar.

I have also nothing less then praise for the english speaking female roomservice operator who took our dinner order and managed to get all the items deliverd exactly as requested and already pre-emptively informing me that they would like to offer me the chef's taste surprise. She brought the food up and explained that it consisted of 1) sweet potato dumpling, 2) a red beet yoghurt salad, 3) grilled octopus, 4) mushroom tacos and an extra dessert of mangopudding with fruitjelly.

The three small plates and the medium plate are the chef's taste. The two larges plates on the right are the fishtacos and charred carrot

The desserts were rhubarb with fig icream and cheesecake

For now i can firmly conclude that this hotel went the extra mile and treats its InnerCircle members quite generously.

It feels great that during the pandemic this hotel makes at least a good effort to make you feel welcomed as a guest.

Last edited by HadesNL; May 30, 2021 at 4:33 am
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Had an outstanding stay there. Upgrade to a studio with terrace - very nice terrace and lots of privacy. Spacious room, albeit small desk only.
Great front desk staff, chique bar with a somewhat lacking high-quality beverage selection. Would definitely stay again - at below 150 €, this was a bargain as well.
DonPedro likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just stayed on an IHG Luxury and Lifestyle rate. Excellent value. Indeed the bar drinks left a bit to be desired, in particular the cocktails. I liked the crisp style of the rooms and public spaces. The secret password and IHG platinum elicited each a 15 EUR credit voucher in addition to the IHG L&L credit. Will return.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
For those ladies & gents that hold future reservations at this hotel, i've been sent an email with a link to the getoaky website to enhance my upcoming stay. I thought it interesting to share with you what the options and pricing are.

The email announcing the possibility to enhance your stay

The options and pricing:

See choices under the second and third picture

I don't know if these options are qualified spending for earning IHG-points
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:33 am

Welcome letter AUG2021 + Room#619

We just had a stay here pre-pride and i am glad to report that the mix & mingle is re-instated at 17.00H,

We were orginally booked in the penthouse but as it wasn't ready we were allocated a hospitality room #619, a king deluxe room on level 6.

I've included the most recent welcome letter.

No red carpet but at least a warm welcome with Pride!

Welcome letter (front)

Welcome letter (back)

The Elizabeth Taylor exhibition held at the hotel, in the spirit of Pride

And now on to the room #619

Entry

A true king bed

Not much in direct views outside but it feels private

Nespresso coffee machine & kettle

But there is this side view from the bed, it faces the front street a bit.

At last, a reading light next to a comfy chair for reading a book

Storage space, the minibar held a carton of water.

Reading material in the room

Bathroom

Showerstall

Floorplan

Laundry list pricing

Small alarm clock, i read online that Marriott is phasing those out:
https://onemileatatime.com/news/marr...-alarm-clocks/
Fortunate no alam clock cost cutting here!
Atacama40 and DonPedro like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 5, 2021 at 6:31 am
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by HadesNL
A live update on my stay.

First of all this hotel brings back a lot of memories.

From staying when it was a CP at their bridal suite, subsequent stays in the new incarnation as Europe's first Kimpton and now seeing the hotel focus on domestic tourists.

The pricing has adapted to the domestic market accordingly, for example for July/August with the "stay longer & pay less" rate the Penthouse can be booked for 385 net inclusive of breakfast per night.

As this visit happened during the covid19 pandemic, the front desk patiently explained how the hotel and its restaurant operated. Food & beverage orders are available ordering online via the QR code found on the TV. Or just dial the old fashioned way. The guy taking our orders via the phone was most articulate and patient, he seemed to be well trained to this new service adaptation.
(...)
Penthouse de Witt Hades was my front room for 4 days a week for over 9 years :-) ..... but some how I envy you at this recent reincarnation.

I cannot believe it is this now. So many years as a social center for top end consultants, my IT teams from around Europe for social stops, UA stop over crew and my favourite club lounge manager Virginia.

But whilst having moved on from this role, you motivate me Hades to take a visit and stop from a different perspective.

I miss this town despite spending so many nights there over such a long period. I will be coming back very soon for a social stop .... especially at that price.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Oct 14, 2021 at 9:51 pm Reason: adjusted quote and removed pictures from post
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I will likely be in Amsterdam in early December for a couple of nights, and was looking at staying here using points. The only option for a points booking is an "essential" room. As an IHG platinum, what are my chances of getting a better room when I arrive. There is also a good chance I will be spire by then. Would that help get an upgrade?
Old May 5, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Any Diamonds been here to see if they're giving the breakfast yet?
Old May 5, 2022, 3:09 pm

I'll be staying over this weekend for Liberation day afterparty on a BOGO, so i'll ask when the free Diamond brekkie will be implemented.
Atacama40 and TheWiseOne like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
I'll be staying over this weekend for Liberation day afterparty on a BOGO, so i'll ask when the free Diamond brekkie will be implemented.
Be great to get some feedback on this!
Old May 6, 2022, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Be great to get some feedback on this!
HadesNL's photo reviews are first class. I look forward to an update on the CP .... sorry Kimpton :-)
Old May 6, 2022, 5:12 am

@Atacama40 :
don't try to flatter me in doing a review
I am so ****faced hungover from King's day & Liberation day and the upcoming afterparty that i might end up passed out on the sofa.

But hey today is a sunny day so i'll do my best for you !

TheWiseOne :
Unfortunately bad news,
upon checkin at reception i asked about the complimentary breakfast being offered to Diamond elite members
the Kimpton de Witt Amsterdam does offer this but only from 1 June 2022 conform IHG1rewards implementation.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Unfortunately bad news,
upon checkin at reception i asked about the complimentary breakfast being offered to Diamond elite members
the Kimpton de Witt Amsterdam does offer this but only from 1 June 2022 conform IHG1rewards implementation.
The contrary would have been surprising.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:47 am

@Atacama40 :
don't try to flatter me in doing a review
I am so ****faced hungover from King's day & Liberation day and the upcoming afterparty that i might end up passed out on the sofa.

But hey today is a sunny day so i'll do my best for you !

TheWiseOne :
Unfortunately bad news,
Made me laugh Hades ..... sorry but you set the bar high. To know what's new at the Amstel I look nowhere else tiz true.

Anyway I have no sympathy ..... you have way too many celebration days there in the Netherlands. I remember only too well trying to raise the local productivity levels in a data center full of bleary eyed Dutch IT types for a week after Queens / Kings day. Was fun to attend those though. We have no real equivalent here.

When you sober up ....
HadesNL likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:59 pm

Update: 6 May 2022 Penthouse de Witt #622

With all Dutch covid restrictions lifted and with an AMB-voucher ready to use,
we thought to return back to Kimpton de Witt Amsterdam and see if normal services have been resumed.

During the pandemic, the penthouse de witt was attractively priced around the €375 per night,
now with normal life returning and the Dutch May-holiday weeks (King's day, labourday, memorial day and liberation day) plus the influx of American, British, Indian and Spanish tourists, the price can soar up to double or even triple!

Was it worth the money ?
And how is the InnerCircle recognition?
Read on and let me take you on a photo heavy informative tour:

1) Arrival
The hotel is located close to Amsterdam Centraal station (5 min walk).
And can be an option for those travelling on the European rivercruises departing on the Northside dock of the station. To reach the main international cruiseterminal for the bigger ships you can take tram 26 or walk about 35 min.

At the moment there is some street resurfacing going on the Nieuwezijdse Kolk meaning there is less traffic. The Amsterdam municipal leftist citycouncil is transforming many streets into one way or for taxi/tram only to give way to pedestrians.

We received a warm welcome as we checkedin early at 12.00 midday,
Our room was ready and our status as InnerCircle members was acknowledged by the friendly girl at reception No upgrade possible because we had already booked the top room catagory.
We did receive the €15 raid the bar credit as an IHG elite member.
Note: English is the default language at the hotel

Atacama40 : Let's start with some history

Memorial statue of hotel renovation in 2009:
Born and built 1987 as a Holiday inn,
Later the ugly duckling of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam centre transformed into the first EU Kimpton

Memorial plaque of the goddess Ceres/Demeter on the hotel's outerwall

Hotel entrance:
A warm welcome to all persons of all identities and canine companions,
This is the only place where it is allowed to smoke

First thing to hit you is the hotel's signature scent in the lobby.
This can be purchased at the specialty boutique of Marie Stella Maris at Keizersgracht 357
https://marie-stella-maris.com/en/#weglot_switcher

A look at reception, it may look small but if you look to the other side.....,,

You will find a lot of spacious seating area in the lobby

More seating area in the lobby

Even more seating area in the lobby

Herbal & fruit infused water is available

Cozy nooks to sit & socialize

And this is the complete view of the Kimpton hotel complex viewd from Nieuwezijdse voorburgwal street.
Before i show you the penthouse, let me point you to its location,
See the 2nd traditional house on the left, the penthouse terrace is to its upperright with the two mini-trees on top

2) suite #622 Penthouse de Witt
We stayed here before during the heights of the pandemic as a staycation and it was a welcome retreat from our own attic home. The room was again clean, so kudos to the housekeeping team!
The appeal is ofcourse its big terrace which faces the south and west sun. We had fortunately good weather and had our morning coffees there aswell as our sundowner drinks. The terrace furniture was in good shape and clean.

Noteable in the suite compared to the previous visits:
- the notepad + pencil returned
- decorative bedpillows + foullard returned
- Frette linnen his & his bathrobes

Thoughtful touches were:
- InnerCircle welcome amenity was ready for us
- complete set of plates & cutleries for inroom dining
- the movies selection has new releases

Designated signs

Double doors leading to the suite

The penthouse is devided over two floors:
This is the entrance on the lower floor

This is the spiral staircase to the upper floor

The living room / dining area

A seperate toilet off the living room

The wetbar area:
- Nespresso capsules machine
- Water cooker
- Mini fridge (2x water cartons)
- Wine fridge (empty)
* left, door to closet

My customized InnerCircle welcome amenity:
- complete tea set
- IPA beers
- chocolate tulips
- crisps

New furniture (see my previous review to spot the difference)

King bed

View towards dressingroom and bathroom

Dual sink with amenities of Marie Stella Maris "poivre" pepper scent

Signature Kimpton Yoga mat

Laundry pricelist and bluetooth soundspeaker

Welcome letter in Dutch

Most important:
Kimpton social hour is back from 16 - 17 H daily held in the conservatory

Minibar can be restocked upon demand

Terrace: seating area

ninjalad : individual pieces of soap are still present here

Bathrobes are by Frette linnens

Pressreader app is available for periodicals in different languages,
You can guess my interests......

Morning coffee on the terrace

Views from the terrace

3) Climate control
Especially for our American friends who like to be in control of the temperature and are acustomed to airconditioning, These are the options available:
Note:
- there are 3 control units
- climate control of living room, dining area and bedroom will auto-switch off if one of the terrace doors are open
- there is a silent mode but als a max burst mode (not the most eco-friendly but cools the room in 5 min)
- settings are 1) auto 2) dry 3) cool 4)heat 5)fan only
- fan intensity can be adjusted

4)Terrace by nightfall
We were lucky with dry spring weather but imagine the sultry pulsating tropical nights in summer.....

We had the doors open at night, Besides the jingling of trams and (sometimes) loud rowdy tourists, we had no bother of mosquitos and such

Sunset

Nighttime

You can peek into some rooms, fortunately this man doesn't like to watch television in the nude

5) Gym & Business centre
Located in the basement, you'll find the underground gym and business centre.
The business centre is actually a room with two computer workstations that share a HP colour laserjet printer
The gym is a square space that can hold about 6 people without bumping into each other
Reminder: both areas can only be accessed by your hotelkeycard

Coming out of the elevators, you are greeted by the automated shoeshine brush machine which seems not being plugged into the electric socket

Looking left into the gym,
It was all clean and equipment was working in good order

Looking right into the gym

Towels, waters and sanitizer tissues are available

Although lots of mirrors it still feels pokey bevause it is underground

Free weights

Machines

Lockers and yogamats

Houserules

Business centre

PC workstation

6) Bar SuperLyan
Located off the lobby and the conservatory is the entrance to the bar.
There is also a street entrance off the Nieuwezijdse voorburgwal
Currently the bar is only open from Thursday untill Sunday,
You can use the "Kimpton - Raid the Bar credit" here.
we passed by on Saturday night and their private room was booked for a birthday

Entrance from inside the hotel

Left: the private room

Seen from the other side

7) Restaurant Celia
Part of the hotel is the restaurant Celia.
It first started as restaurant Wyers but made a full switch of rebranding because of the pandemic .
This venue is used for breakfast, lunch and dinner, bills can be put on the hotelfolio and are EQP earning. It also accepts the "Kimpton - Raid the Bar credit".
Every saturday the restaurant hosts a lady DJ and creates a fun buzz environment that attracts outside walk-in guests. There were several hen-parties aswell as birthday dinners.
We were treated as royalty by Mrs. LJ from LA, the hostess and the whole restaurant team!
InnerCircle benefit like the chef's taste were remembered and delivered.

Celia's bartender can make custom-order cocktails

View into the restaurant area

The seating area in the back can be turned into a private room

Service was excellent by good staff ratio

Part of the drinks menu

Part of the drinks menu 2

DJ's table: She went the extra mile in providing the complete playlist for us

A place to dine together on a first date

Complimentary warm bread with hummus dip

Kimpton InnerCircle amenity: Chef's taste small plate of burrata

Small plate: tuna crudo

Small plate: excellent calamari (crispy and not chewy!)

Plate for 2: Seabass with ponzu sauce

Large plate: seabass with pumpkin

Small plate: seabass crudo

Mushroom Ravioli

Rotiserie chicken

Passionfruit sorbet

Hostess Mrs. LJ is always enthausiastic to make a group photo!

Espresso martini

Because sunday was mother's day, all ladies received a yellow/white carnation from Mrs. LJ at the end of dinner

8) Social hour - signature Kimpton feature
The well anticipated return of the Kimpton social hour.....
Very popular as most of the guests were American and we were the only locals
Back daily from 16 - 17 H at the Kimpton conservatory in the centre of the hotel under the green canopy.
A red & white wine is offered with a small nibble.
(but for those not into wine you can choose coffee/tea, coca cola or a Heineken beer)
The friendly serving girls and the supervisor made sure everyone's glasses were filled and were having a good time, it created a fun relaxed atmosphere in the conservatory area,

Let us count the amount of refills offered and see if you can get sloshed while sussing it out.......

You can't escape the signage

All ready ....... set....l.

And Go! (Round #1)

The white on offer

The red on offer

Good to people watch

Refill round #2
Nibble: cream cheese with onion

Refill round #3

A place where everyone can sit back and mix & mingle

Nibble: duck breast on pumpkin

Refill round #4

Heineken beers and tea also complimentary

Or chose a Coke and cappucino, if like me you have to temper your alcohol intake

Some guests go for refill round #5

While others prefer to tank non alcoholic and take the rest up to their rooms

Conclusion:
Glad to see the hotel returning back to normal and providing a safe and comfortable stay for everyone.
All prepandemic service have been resumed and have impressed us and our guests.
Service was all in English and all staff were happy to be busy (and properly staffed) and really provided the familiar Kimpton feel-good buzz!

We didn't have breakfast this stay because we were staying on the Ambassador BOGO voucher but i was told the buffet has returned. However from 1st of June, complimentary breakfast will be offered to Diamond elite guests.

Goodbye gift upon checkout: 2x stroopwafels

Let me end with these last photos and my personal top 10 Amsterdam Binnenstad tips for those travellers staying at the Kimpton de Witt hotel:

Personal top 10 tips for Amsterdam binnenstad
(Things in walking distance from the Kimpton hotel)

1) Non touristy/rowdy redlights, safe for squimish travellers

Quintessential Redlights on my usual bike route:
West of Nieuwezijdse Voorburgwal
But focused on mostly local clientele and tastes
wander and you will find.....

2) The pussycat boat / Poezenboot

Houseboat / floating nonprofit volunteer catshelter

Singel 38/G

https://depoezenboot.nl/en

Poezenboat

3) Authentic Nepalese & Tibetan owned craftshop "Palbu"

(statues, painted thangkas scrolls, clothes)

Sint Lucinsteeg 24

https://www.facebook.com/palbuamsterdam/

4) Laidback relaxed Nepalese owned restaurant "Bhatti Prasal"

(limited seating)

https://www.bhattipasal.nl

Voetboogstraat 23

5) Amsterdam-made Puccini Bomboni

Handcrafted chocolate shop

https://puccinibomboni.com

Singel 184

Mentioned: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...s-in-the-world

6) Essential Men's Hatshop "English Hatter"

Established 1935

https://www.english-hatter.nl

Heiligeweg 40

7) Independent operated Bookexchange

Used English books only

https://www.bookexchange.nl

Kloveniersburgwal 58

8) all Female owned & operated cookieshop Van Stapele

https://vanstapele.com/en/home/

Heisteeg 4

Popularity of Van Stapele cookies,
get there early to avoid the Q or pre-order online and skip the Q to pick up

9) Spui book market every Friday

Every friday bookmarket at Spui, always an interesting find...
Around the corner from family operated American Book Centre : https://abc.nl

10) Royal palace on the dam square;
where Lex & Max of the House of Orange host their international partys

Entry is €10 and you are allowed to take photos inside
You can't take big bags inside but they have a guarded wardrobe service
https://www.paleisamsterdam.nl/en/visit/

And to finally end this review:

We walked out the hotel and experienced the buzz returning to the city:

2022: normal life returns for all birds of a feather
and the familiar sounds of wheeliecases hitting the pavements is a good sign that travel is back!
Atacama40 likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 3, 2022 at 12:12 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.