Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by dw
Thanks for the data point. So perhaps the current “glitch” is that existing AMBs who are also Spire/Diamond are having Spire/Diamond renewed as well when they renew their AMB memberships.
That's always been the glitch, if it's even a glitch.
dw and rt23456p like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Well now with the story on LL after your post, if some people didn't know now they do!
Its been featured on LL numerous times over the years
jongesander likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
My Ambassador status expires 1st September.
If I extend now by using points, will it jump to 1st September 2023 or will it be 12 months from today?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:13 am

Same here. Renewed Ambassador in June 22 and Diamond extended to Dec 2023. I imagine it just extends whatever status you had previously earned. I'd managed to get my Spire Elite as it was then, back when Virgin pts counted towards status. I would guess that anyone renewing Ambassador now who didn't already have Diamond, would just earn Platinum.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by colin_thames
Same here. Renewed Ambassador in June 22 and Diamond extended to Dec 2023. I imagine it just extends whatever status you had previously earned. I'd managed to get my Spire Elite as it was then, back when Virgin pts counted towards status. I would guess that anyone renewing Ambassador now who didn't already have Diamond, would just earn Platinum.
Thanks, but for this I’m trying to work out whether to renew “ambassador” today using points, or wait until current expiry of 31st August to renew.

If I renew today will my new “ambassador” expiry be 20th July 2023, or will it be 1st September 2023?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by adobbing
Thanks, but for this I’m trying to work out whether to renew “ambassador” today using points, or wait until current expiry of 31st August to renew.

If I renew today will my new “ambassador” expiry be 20th July 2023, or will it be 1st September 2023?
I'm pretty sure if you renew earlier your status will still be extended a year from the previous expiry. Anecdotally, people have reported that they can renew up to three months before expiry. I only renewed a couple of weeks beforehand. I never got an email to confirm renewal and continued to get reminders to renew, which rather freaked me out having paid $200, and couldn't see the usual 15k pts credit. But after a call to the AMB service centre they confirmed I'd renewed, the pts were credited and the expiry was a year from the day of the last expiry, not the renewal date.

I've since discovered how to view your Ambassador expiry date on the IHG site:
Log in then click on your account at the top. This will show you your current status and expiry in only the IHG One scheme. But to the right of the panel showing your progress you'll see a panel titled "Milestone Rewards". At the bottom of the panel is a link "Milestone Rewards progress". Click on that and you'll see both memberships and their respective expiry dates.

If you renew using points, you won't get the 15k points of course, it's only if you renew with cash. 😉

Last edited by colin_thames; Jul 20, 2022 at 6:12 am Reason: Clarified
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Just renewed using points, it shifted the expiry date on both by 12 months from the previous dates.
bob12403 and yurtripper like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
My Diamond expires Dec 31, 2022. My Ambassador status expires May 1, 2023.

I've read on this thread that Ambassador status can be renewed 90 days prior to expiration, which would be roughly February 1, 2023. If I wait until that time, my Diamond status will have expired. Right now my main interest in keeping Ambassador is to retain that Diamond status.

Anyone know if I can actually renew Ambassador (and therefore retain Diamond) before Feb 1, specifically by Dec 31? Or, if I have to wait for the 90 period and renew Feb 1, by which time I would have been dropped down to Platinum, would Diamond then be reinstated with the Ambassador renewal?

Thanks for any clarity anyone can provide.

Last edited by bob12403; Jul 27, 2022 at 9:33 am
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by bob12403
My Diamond expires Dec 31, 2022. My Ambassador status expires May 1, 2023.

I've read on this thread that Ambassador status can be renewed 90 days prior to expiration, which would be roughly February 1, 2023. If I wait until that time, my Diamond status will have expired. Right now my main interest in keeping Ambassador is to retain that Diamond status.

Anyone know if I can actually renew Ambassador (and therefore retain Diamond) before Feb 1, specifically by Dec 31? Or, if I have to wait for the 90 period and renew Feb 1, by which time I would have been dropped down to Spire, would Diamond then be reinstated with the Ambassador renewal?

Thanks for any clarity anyone can provide.
Despite what it says on the app and website current IHG status is extended to the end of February 2023
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...february-2023/ so you might be OK.

Just on a point of pedantry, if unsuccessful you'd drop down to Platinum.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
[QUOTE=Just on a point of pedantry, if unsuccessful you'd drop down to Platinum.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. You're right, thanks. Old dog, new tricks and all that.

Last edited by bob12403; Jul 27, 2022 at 9:34 am
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
There's also a 15-night Diamond challenge open to everyone right now, including current Diamonds. Must sign up by July 31 and stay 15 nights within 120 days:

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/de...tatuschallenge
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Renewed today, expiry of Diamond changed from 31/12/2022 to 31/12/2023...

*NOT A GLITCH*
jongesander and yurtripper like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 3:22 pm

Who had the recent experience of buying an Ambassador with a minimum status, to which they actually increase, Platinum or Diamond, what is the validity period?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: VS Life Time Gold, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Does this still work? I get to the screen you describe but I do not see an expiry date for my Diamond status there or anywhere else.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by GLOOMER
Who had the recent experience of buying an Ambassador with a minimum status, to which they actually increase, Platinum or Diamond, what is the validity period?
For me it was a zero-sum game, as I was already Platinum, but I have other reasons for the purchase. As far as the extension / validity are concerned, I had the same question at the time and here is the explanation I got from the Ambassador Customer Service Team: IHG One Rewards Elite Status is valid on calendar-year basis. Imagine you bought your status today, 22.8.22:
- if you were already Platinum, it will bring you nothing in terms of status and your profile (membership card in the app) will show status validity until 31.12.22
- if you were Club / Silver / Gold, it will upgrade your status and your profile (membership card in the app) will show status validity until 31.12.22
On 1.1.23 the system will reset the status - and because your Ambassador subscription is still valid on that date, you will get another calendar year of Platinum until 31.12.23 (and not until 22.8.23 - this is only when your Ambassador subscription will expire, if not renewed, however that expiry will not affect your Platinum status until the end of 2023).
GLOOMER likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.