Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by adobbing
So checked again and currently;

Ambassador expiry = 1/9/2021
Spire Elite expiry = 31/12/2021

Is there anything to be gained from renewing Ambassador now using points, or do I wait until end of August?
There's an ongoing promotion until end of Jul.: https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...conditions#amb

I assume from comments, that renewing ambassador will also still extend Spire Elite expiration, how long for?
Many seem to have reported here that renewing ambassador will also still extend Spire Elite expiration, but please note this is not a written rule. If it does get extended, it would be another year of course, until 31DEC2022.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:01 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Seems the consensus is that buying (joining) Ambassador won't help, but renewing will?
I was thinking of signing up for Ambassador the first time. Are you saying that it won’t trigger an extension of my Spire status which expires 12/31/2021?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:04 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kumaranik
I bought Ambassador last week, app shows Ambassador validity until 7/1/2022. When I click on "2021 activity" it shows Spire Elite expires at 12/31/2021. So apparently no Spire extension?
Any change on this? I will be in the same boat as I’m thinking about signing up for the first time.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
So checked again and currently;

Ambassador expiry = 1/9/2021
Spire Elite expiry = 31/12/2021

Is there anything to be gained from renewing Ambassador now using points, or do I wait until end of August?

I assume from comments, that renewing ambassador will also still extend Spire Elite expiration, how long for?
I’m in a similar boat as you. Spire Elite expires the same date but my ambassador will expire on August 1, one month before yours. I’ve been going back and forth on whether it makes sense to renew (I won’t be traveling much I suspect until 2022 and I really valued the now gone 10% rebate on award stays). I’ll probably give in at the end of July and do it, hoping it will extend Spire (I do have one trip planned in August staying at the Paris Indigo, although ambassador status won’t make a difference there, but Spire has come in handy at times). I’ll come
back and post if my renewal triggers the extension.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by ymx
I was thinking of signing up for Ambassador the first time. Are you saying that it won’t trigger an extension of my Spire status which expires 12/31/2021?
Originally Posted by ymx
Any change on this? I will be in the same boat as I’m thinking about signing up for the first time.
It didn't do the trick for me and didn't do it for some others.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 5:39 pm

To add to this DP, I just renewed Ambassador. Spire Ambassador was expected to expire Aug 2021 but now extended to AUG2022.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 4:06 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Renewal of Ambassador seems to trigger the Spire extension but joining Ambassador for first time doesn’t change Spire
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTom22
To add to this DP, I just renewed Ambassador. Spire Ambassador was expected to expire Aug 2021 but now extended to AUG2022.
In this case, the Spire élite membership itself should have been extended to DEC2022.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:44 am
ymx

Originally Posted by ninjalad
Renewal of Ambassador seems to trigger the Spire extension but joining Ambassador for first time doesn’t change Spire
Are there any data points of first-time Ambassador signup extending Spire?

Sounds like I should have done this during a year when my Spire status was renewing vs expiring!
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by ninjalad
Ditto. I called to extend my Ambassador membership that was expiring on July 1, 2021. It was extended to January 1, 2022. Within a day, my expiring BOGO cert also was extend to the new date of 1-1-2022. This was an existing, not a new membership.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Ditto. I called to extend my Ambassador membership that was expiring on July 1, 2021. It was extended to January 1, 2022. Within a day, my expiring BOGO cert also was extend to the new date of 1-1-2022. This was an existing, not a new membership.
How does that relate to Spire extension?
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
How does that relate to Spire extension?
It doesn't. I misread the thread title. Thought it was about BOGO cert expiration. Now my Spire and Ambassador status are both set to expire on 1-1-2021. If I fail to requalify as Spire, I will "probably" maintain Spire through 2022 *if* I renew Ambassador in 2021. As far as I know, this is an unwritten Ambassador benefit.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ymx
Are there any data points of first-time Ambassador signup extending Spire?
Yes. The glitch works like this.

You are an IHG Rewards member with Spire or Platinum status. You sign up for Ambassador and you immediately become a "Spire Ambassador" or a "Platinum Ambassador". The expiry date of this new level of status becomes 12 months after you become a "Spire Ambassador" or "Platinum Ambassador". Which just so happens to extend your Spire or Platinum status back over at IHG Rewards as well. Nobody cares with Platinum because that's already a published benefit of Ambassador.

Just don't leave it until the last days of December and be aware that this glitch could be fixed at any time...
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:36 pm
ymx

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yes. The glitch works like this.

You are an IHG Rewards member with Spire or Platinum status. You sign up for Ambassador and you immediately become a "Spire Ambassador" or a "Platinum Ambassador". The expiry date of this new level of status becomes 12 months after you become a "Spire Ambassador" or "Platinum Ambassador". Which just so happens to extend your Spire or Platinum status back over at IHG Rewards as well. Nobody cares with Platinum because that's already a published benefit of Ambassador.

Just don't leave it until the last days of December and be aware that this glitch could be fixed at any time...
You are saying this works for first time Ambassador signups. But there a number of posts above that say it may not work for first time Ambassadors. My Spire status is due to expire Dec 21. Do you think it makes sense to try it now while the Ambassador promotion is in effect? Or wait to later in the year?
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I certainly didn't become Spire when I signed up for AMB In July 2019 but I was upgraded from Gold (the IHG status I had upuntil that point) to Plat.

I didn't get Spire until much later in the year once I'd earned the qualifying nights / stays.

I let my AMB lapse in May 2021 and won't get it again until I'm able to travel to be able to get some benefit from it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.